Tip for handling filled tires alone please

/ Tip for handling filled tires alone please #1  

Luke'sScreenName

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX4800 with BH-90X hoe; Hustler FastTrack 48; B3300SU (sold); 1969 Case 680B CK (sold)
I need to remove both the rear tires on my MX4800, put it on stands to install a backhoe subframe, then put the wheels back on.

I'll be on a flat concrete pad. My fluid-filled 17.5L-24 R4s weigh about 700lbs each.

I've handled heavy tires before (although not this heavy) with three men but this time I'll likely be alone.

I'm hoping to get some handling tips. (not sure if it's relevant but my engine hoist is currently loaned out).

Thanks in advance.

/ Tip for handling filled tires alone please #2  
Having done nothing even close to this, my only tip is............don't do it. Not worth it.

/ Tip for handling filled tires alone please #3  
   / Tip for handling filled tires alone please #4  
Get a shop\engine crane. A HF one will do.

/ Tip for handling filled tires alone please #5  
It's not fun. I have same size. I just shimmied it on and off. If I were to do it again, I think I'd try to put it on a moving dolly to roll around.

/ Tip for handling filled tires alone please #6  
I did it and it wasn't hard. The R4s stand up on their own. I actually didn't remove the tires to install the backhoe subframe. The manual said to do so but I didn't. In hindsight it would have been easier to do so. I later removed one to hook up the hydraulics.

/ Tip for handling filled tires alone please #7  
I had to narrow my M4700 to fit on my trailer. About the same size tire and filled.
attachment.php

The essential tool is the nut holding the front tire :)
But that took about 30 years to grow.

The two of us managed to turn one rear tire around with a fair amount of difficulty using only a farm jack for lifting the tire. We hooked the farm jack under the lip of the rim of the tire and wiggled it off, then turned it around, lifted it back up and remounted it. IT was a bear of a job. We did not have any place to hang a hoist, this was on a suburban concrete driveway.

We tried positioning it with a pallet jack but couldn't get it lined up.
IF you can rig up a hoist far above the tire and hoist it without interfering with the bolts (like wrapping a rope around it) it should be relatively easy.

DON'T LET IT FALL OVER!!

Attachments

• 20140427_103025.jpg
    20140427_103025.jpg
    806.1 KB · Views: 1,007
   / Tip for handling filled tires alone please #8  
I did mine on my MX by myself, but they're 13.6-28 R1s. After I had done it someone posted a thread about doing it and I picked up a great tip: use a grease-board. Spread some axle grease on a chunk of plywood to put under the tire when reinstalling (maybe even for removal), it makes it much easier to line up the bolts with the holes in the rim.

I haven't tried it yet, but I need to put my wheels back in a narrower configuration for veggie season in a few weeks, so I tucked that info away for the right moment. After doing it once by myself, I can see where it will be a huge help. That and a nice spud bar, and you should be fine. Good luck, and do be careful.

/ Tip for handling filled tires alone please #9  
I would be getting the engine hoist back if it was a diy thing. That's alot of weight to handle by yourself.

/ Tip for handling filled tires alone please #10  
Having done nothing even close to this, my only tip is............don't do it. Not worth it.
^ what he said^
Let a shop that's set up for this kind of work , with plenty of employee help do it.
As I get older and hopefully a little wiser, I realize when it's better to call a professional. Losing a finger or being pinned under a 700# tire while alone is not my idea of a way to try and save a buck. Dr. Bills$, ambulance, care flight or funeral services are way more expensive. IMO