Tire Chain Inside Clearance

/ Tire Chain Inside Clearance #1  

Kolas

Tractor
Kubota B3200HSD
I'm interested in the Aquiline Multi-Purpose Chain for my Kubota B3200HSD which has 2.5" of clearance between the intreior side of the tire and the wheel well. The manufacturer recommends a 3" clearance and I prefer not to invest in wheel spacers. Has anybody been able to get away with less than 3" clearance?

/ Tire Chain Inside Clearance #2  
The problem is that chains can shift when in use. So if 2.5 inches of clearance is enough for some people, how about you? Yours could shift in use and start hitting the fenders.

I finally took my chains off for this reason. I likely will buy wheel spacers to eliminate the issue. My clearance was closer than yours though.

Worst case if you get no specific replies, try the chains and see what happens in your application.

BUT only if you are willing to buy wheel spacers later...

/ Tire Chain Inside Clearance #3  
I'm interested in the Aquiline Multi-Purpose Chain for my Kubota B3200HSD which has 2.5" of clearance between the intreior side of the tire and the wheel well. The manufacturer recommends a 3" clearance and I prefer not to invest in wheel spacers. Has anybody been able to get away with less than 3" clearance?
Yes.

Properly fitted and installed tire chains will neither move nor flop around, tensioners or otherwise.

That said, few folks will properly fit or install chains because doing so is time consuming.

I routinely operate tractors with chains and 1 1/2" or less of fender clearance. Never any issues.

You should have no issues at 2 1/2" if your chains are properly fitted and installed.

SDT

/ Tire Chain Inside Clearance
The problem is that chains can shift when in use. So if 2.5 inches of clearance is enough for some people, how about you? Yours could shift in use and start hitting the fenders.

I finally took my chains off for this reason. I likely will buy wheel spacers to eliminate the issue. My clearance was closer than yours though.

Worst case if you get no specific replies, try the chains and see what happens in your application.

BUT only if you are willing to buy wheel spacers later...
Thanks, I'll give the chains a shot and have spacers as a fallback should I run into problems.

/ Tire Chain Inside Clearance #5  
I think chains are usually most likely to hit the fender if you’re traveling fast enough that centrifugal force throws them up into the fender.
Thus, I think results may vary on what minimum spacing is required.

/ Tire Chain Inside Clearance #6  
I just went out to the barn and measured the inside clearance on my L5740 with R4's set to the middle spacing and came up with 2.5" at the narrowest point. I run OFA EKO 9 European style studded chains with no clearance issues. I did swap out the two inside shackles with quick links since they were a little narrower but it probably wasn't necessary. I also run them loose, per their instructions. Basically enough slack in the outer adjustment chains to be able to fit a closed fist between the chain and the tire. I don't run tensioners and see no need for them. I've had the tractor up to speed on bare roads with no issues with chains slapping the fender.

/ Tire Chain Inside Clearance #7  
I had a short 2" of clearance on my Branson and the Aquilines would just tick once in a while,

I wouldn't be surprised if you were not good at 2 1/2"

/ Tire Chain Inside Clearance #8  
Thanks, I'll give the chains a shot and have spacers as a fallback should I run into problems.
I bought a set of of aquiline mpc's for my CK 3510 with 2 1/2 in. of clearance. But I also got the two in. spacers anyway. Hopefully they help with the stability issues when carrying logs in the grapple. Four extra inches should make a more manageable condition

/ Tire Chain Inside Clearance #9  
Not an issue with my Kubota as the rears have adjustable spacing., actually, so do the front rims.