Tire driven Sidewinder advice

/ Tire driven Sidewinder advice #1  

geneP

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case-International 385, Kubota L5450 w/LA1150A loader
I recently bought a three point hitch Sidewinder tire driven rotary cutter. Looking for someone with experience with them. I have always heard how tough they are and bought this one when it became available. I went through it greasing, sharpening, etc, to familiarize myself with it. I took the spindle grease cap off and found a small amount of semi-dried grease on the bearings. I had read that the people at Hercules AG and Outdoors were long time employees of FMC/Sidewinder and can provide help with the Sidewinder. I contacted them for advice about the spindle bearing maintenance and he told me that they were packed at the factory with Lubriplate grease and that he considered it a lifetime lube. This cutter was bought in 1973 (Per the story from the original buyer's family). That is a pretty long lifetime for a piece of equipment and I'm wondering if I should go through the repacking routine. The Hercules guy said that the spindle is very tight in the bearings and force is needed to remove the bearings. I would rather not go through that exercise if it is not needed. This one runs quiet as a mouse, so it has held up well over the years. Is/was Lubriplate grease that long lasting? Anyone with experience or a user manual for any tire driven sidewinder would be very helpful. Thanks in advance, Gene

Last edited:
   / Tire driven Sidewinder advice #3  
I think I had one (if I am thinking of the right mower). Yellow 60" ratchet to raise and lower?

ed

/ Tire driven Sidewinder advice #4  
I've actually seen a picture of one. A very unique piece of equipment. I lived in Alaska for twenty years. Lubriplate was the ONLY grease I ever used for wheel bearings. Yes - it's long lasting and very water repellent. However - it was never considered a "forever" grease.

Yes - definitely regrease the bearings. They are not sealed bearings and can be regreased with a needle tip on your grease gun. Put the needle tip in the void between each bearing and a couple or three squirts. It takes time - be careful to hit each void. There is no need to remove the bearing if you do it this way.

/ Tire driven Sidewinder advice
I've actually seen a picture of one. A very unique piece of equipment. I lived in Alaska for twenty years. Lubriplate was the ONLY grease I ever used for wheel bearings. Yes - it's long lasting and very water repellent. However - it was never considered a "forever" grease.

Yes - definitely regrease the bearings. They are not sealed bearings and can be regreased with a needle tip on your grease gun. Put the needle tip in the void between each bearing and a couple or three squirts. It takes time - be careful to hit each void. There is no need to remove the bearing if you do it this way.
I'm pretty sure the bearings are tapered roller cone bearings. The needle tip would probably get to the top bearing but I wonder how much I could get to the bottom bearing.

My cutter is just like the one in the link in reply #5. Thanks ruffdog. They made then in pull-behind versions, too. The bearing dust cap is visible in the picture posted by MossRoad

/ Tire driven Sidewinder advice #8  
I had one (3 point), neighbor has a pull type and talk about a heavy cutter... anyway for the bearings I packed in some corn head grease. Since it will flow somewhat when it becomes warm I figured it would reach the lower bearing since I did not want the fight of taking it apart. When I sold it everything was still tight and quiet.

I do not consider any grease to be a forever/lifetime lube.

/ Tire driven Sidewinder advice #9  
Packing the grease every 50 years should be good.

/ Tire driven Sidewinder advice #10  
See those come up for sale locally and auctions as that size is common around here. Type of tire, size and air pressure important for operation and spindle life. Tire failure often damages the guard shroud and is missing on many. Clever design for a heavy duty cutter.