Tired of oil change bull

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Tired of oil change bull #54  
And I thought I was chancing it with 10,000 mile oil changes

/ Tired of oil change bull #55  
I think oil is often changed to often but to not change it at all? I’m probably not going to buy into that idea.

Last edited:
   / Tired of oil change bull #56  
Engineering guidelines for maintenance are established over all kinds of weather, conditions of use by owner, ambient temperature, and go by extremes we may run into. The best case scenario is to take what they advise and follow that because none of us has the money to test every extreme that is out there. I may fudge on hours or miles at times because I am lazy, but I try to follow approved guidelines.

I recall about 50 years ago I was comparing notes with an older friend on how long should be the limit for oil changes. This was when engines and every thing seemed dirtier, but at that time he went about 10k miles when the standard was 2k miles generally. He said his family station wagon car never was greased and had 140,000 miles on it and still runs like a top. He may have gotten lucky, but I don't think anyone would say he had the right attitude about maintenance even though he had many miles on his car.

Someone mentioned a toilet paper filter. I had an older friend at the time that was really pushing the idea and was fairly convincing but I told him many engineers and manufacturers had their business on the line so why take a chance with some untested by theories.

/ Tired of oil change bull #57  
You were talking about the normal darkening of the oil being due to water earlier, not the choco milkshake. Big difference between those and their causes.

/ Tired of oil change bull #58  
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Omg OP, you cant be serious! You do you man, the rest of use that have some sense will change our oil.

/ Tired of oil change bull #59  
Oil comes in many colors, recycled oil is darker

This is absolutely not true. My dad ran a re-refinery for Safety-Kleen, recycling old oils for many years. The recycled oil was not visually discernible from new oil. I know this for a fact because he brought glass sample bottles home to show me.

/ Tired of oil change bull #60  
Years ago there was a guy on here with a rounded drain plug. I wish you could have given him this advice. It would have prevented a lot of headaches on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.