Tires condition

/ Tires condition #31  
Hard to make out the brand name on the sidewalls but they look to be 'China Bombs' to me.
If the ran since ‘99, theyd hardly be considered “bombs“.

/ Tires condition #34  
Great tread. Give it a shot with 2 tons of stone in the trailer. Wire brush some of that sunburned skin off.

/ Tires condition #35  
Great tread. Give it a shot with 2 tons of stone in the trailer. Wire brush some of that sunburned skin off.
I assume you are referring to my pic?
Yeah, 2 tons of stone is the same as 2 tons of feathers, LOL.
But my trailer is axle-limited to just over 1 ton. And I used to push that sometimes.

/ Tires condition #36  
Something about the makeup of Chinese rubber causes it to degrade quickly. Why I won't ever buy rubber tarp straps at Harbor Freight. In less than a year they dry out and break.
I'm thinking they purposely add air or pin holes so that they will always leak, perhaps to encourage the sales of innertubes.

/ Tires condition #37  
I'm thinking they purposely add air or pin holes so that they will always leak, perhaps to encourage the sales of innertubes.
But their tubes leak too.....

/ Tires condition #38  
I assume that you don’t take the trailer on the highway. I live in PA too and no shop doing state inspections would pass those tires. I have been pi&&ed off more than once when tires were failed because of cracks between the tread ridges that didn’t look bad to me at all. Another excuse to sell a Chinese “trailer use only” tire.

As to why the tires crack has to do with sunlight and ozone degradation of the rubber. Yes, tires used to go for many more years without cracking. The reason for the cracks is formulation changes in the rubber used to make the tires. I’m a retired chemist, although not a rubber chemist, and my guess is that additives that used to be put in the rubber to counter the effects of sunlight and ozone are now banned.

The cheapest things in a rubber formulation for tires are going to be carbon black and silica. The chemicals added to get the rubber to link together (vulcanization) and harden and resist ozone and so on are going to be the most expensive. No wonder that the cheap trailer use only Chinese tires wear out fast and develop cracks. They just scrimp on the chemicals used in well made tires.

/ Tires condition #40  
The primary component to prevent tire checking is plain carbon as discovered by Mr Biney and Mr Smith* and thus making then very wealthy.
Carbon black is also one of the cheapest pigments so why dilute or substitute it.

Another 'factoid', carbon black also blocks or hinders RF energy, like don't paint a radome with a carbon pigment based paint.

* Biney & Smith are the Crayola Crayon people with whom I worked as a rep for many years, (good times).