Today, would you buy an EV vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #541  
Your car is already keeping track of your mileage. when your car is inspected, the inspection station will report the mileage to the IRS and you will get a 1099 and pay it with your income tax. Just a matter of time before a milage tax is imposed and you can bet it will be imposed on everybody, ICE and EV. Takes a lot of money to support a politician in the manner they expect!

No inspections in Michigan

And ICE vehicles already pay the tax when buying fuel, tax is added into the price per gallon

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #542  
But there is a difference. Electric has torque available almost instantly, they accelerate much faster than ICE. If I wanted a car that would win stoplight drags I would pick electric. However I will keep my ICE, manual shift sports cars until I can no longer drive. But electric will and can beat ICE in acceleration if designed for it. How Do Electric Vehicles Produce Instant Torque?
From Road and Track:

The new 2023 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 promises to be a very quick car. The C8 Stingray is already a mighty thing, capable of 2.8-second 0-60 mph runs, and the Z06 has 175 more horsepower and much wider tires. Option the Z07 package, and the Z06 gets Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 R ZP tires, which are probably the stickiest street-legal tires available today. So it's no surprise that Chevrolet claims a 0-60 mph time of 2.6 seconds for the Z07-equipped Z06 coupe.
Please note that the Corvette is a two wheel drive car. Below is a note about the Tesla performance. It is a four wheel drive car.

Is Tesla plaid 4 wheel drive?

The Plaid starts at $129,990 and boasts a tri-motor all-wheel-drive setup, over 1,020 peak horsepower, a sub-2-second zero-to-60-mph time, and 396 miles of EPA-estimated range. Shaw has only owned the Plaid for about a week, and he's already put over 1,100 miles on it.

Richard

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #543  
0 - 60 in under 3 seconds is crazy fast. But I haven't taken a car that I own to the drag strip for over 40 years. It's very unusual that I ever get to completely stomp the accelerator in my F150, and I'm not a shy driver.

I'm assuming you guys don't smoke the tires every time you pull out, or maybe you do. And zipping up to the speed limit in 1.3 seconds and then letting off would be a real neck-jerker. But it's still an interesting statistic.

I think every car that I own will do 120 mph, but none have ever actually done it.

Curious now -- how's the cost of insurance compare on the EVs vs. similar price gasoline vehicle?? Do they rate them as sports cars because of the extreme torque and high HP ratings?

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle.
i really want to get an electric motorcycle but the 18k and the 18 month waiting list is the only bit putting me off atm, no carby to block up, quite and mountains of torque,
Harley Davidson has had electric for several years - are they also behind 18 mos?

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #545  
   / Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #546  
   / Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #547  
EV vs ICE ? well I do like a competitive market so I have no issue with that. It's the elimination of choices that gives me pause.

I'm an old guy and the eggs in my basket are 90 % ICE. not because I don't appreciate "modern advancements" but because I'm vested in what works for me personally. I have 9-10 (maybe more) battery operated tools. Mostly drill/saw combo sets (invaluable IMO) and one electric chain saw (pole trimmer that works great, but you still have to oil that chain)...I heat with wood and also have 4 gas chain saws. To shorten this up...it's a long list of ICE equipment that I use to maintain my property.

Sometimes on rainy days (plenty here in Northern Oregon) I pause and look at the big picture. I'm pretty sure the current situation is, or will affect the majority of American citizens in some form..... Maybe some are "forced" or could comply without much impact?

food for thought...

The delivery of goods to market, including food is 99% delivered by diesel/gas truck and rail, and that is just the downstream portion. The 99% is just a number I grabbed out of thick air but the over-all picture is pretty clear.

question; If you quit feeding your dog, will he/she still love you?
answer; until his dying day,.... or if not confined, he may instinctively move on to survive.

..........electric vehicles probably have a future and a good choice for some?..... but we are an economy built on fossil fuels...You yank that and the economy crashes. Today food shortages are no longer speculation. Some divert to Ukraine, but the western hemisphere has a stronghold on agriculture without Europe. Marketing within the western hemisphere nations of South America, Mexico, Canada fills in the seasonal gaps and has proven to be self sustaining. Canada and even Alaska are producing more agricultural products today partly because of (get this) A warmer climate. So goods to the consumer, and the mostly "self inflicted" cost is the problem at hand. Are cheap Chinese solar panels the answer?

interesting note; While California debates over an enormously expensive electric rail system, they have a water shortage. Would make sense to address that before they move on to something that might have a future? (a "promised" payback that may never materialize?). Rationing seems third world when they have this vast Ocean front that could be resourced with investments in water de-desalination plants. just saying

Musk even recognizes the importance of fossil fuels and he has been the most prominent figure for the future of electric vehicles.

Sorry, I realize that this is about whether one would purchase EV's, but political agendas keep practical solutions under the table and limiting people's choices by design is a poor and irresponsible solution.

Last edited:
   / Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #548  
I also remember global warming that killed the dinosaurs. Guess maybe they should have quit farting and driving their diesel trucks too.
NO, no. The meteor that hit the ocean just off of what is now the eastern part of Mexico cause so much pollution in the air, that the world turned cold and the vegetation that the dinosaurs ate died off, and thus, so did the dinosaurs.

Richard

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle.
Ran into this image of (supposedly) a Ford Lightning with a "removable extended range package." Looks like a toolbox. Also interesting. Wonder how much added range and added charge time needed.

th.jpg

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #550  
EV's are not all bad. And while they're a certain political side's wet dream and that tells me to dislike them, I don't.
  • First, this is modern america, where the bulk of households or even renters don't have the family car, but usually one car per person, at least. So you can still retain one ICE, while having an EV
  • Second, having an EV is not evil. If an EV is equally priced with an ICE, and as long as you drive less than 150 miles a day, chances are it's cheaper to commute with an EV
  • Third, I would say at least 80% of the workforce drives less than 150 miles a day, so you would be able to charge your car overnight, and have plenty of charge for the following day's commute, thus negating any fuel expense at all, and a marginal uptick in your electrical bill.
  • Forth, if you invest in a solar array, say 12-16kw, for $15-20k, it will pay for itself in 5 years(without incentives), thus eliminating the need for reliance on grid power. Add in some batteries and you'll eliminiate your need for a generator as well.
  • Fifth, gas prices are all over the place, who knows what's going to happen next. You most likely can't practically make your own gasoline, you completely rely on big oil combined with a functioning supply chain, combined with the government not actively conspiring against you.
This is not without it's down sides though.
  • EV's claiming 300 mile range provide those claims under optimal conditions. If you want heat or AC, basically cut that figure by a third. Any traffic at all? Even worse.
  • Batteries suffer from fast charges, so if you want to get the most from your battery, slow overnight charge is the best. Otherwise you're actively doing damage to your batteries.
  • Under the best conditions, batteries have a life of about 15 years and then they're completely dead. However, htey start degrading on day one. It's a progressive thing, so after 5 years your 300 mile claim may be 250 miles, after 10 years and maybe 200 miles, 15 years and probably down to 150. Cut those in half if you want real world figures.
  • Your resale value will be scrap prices, batteries are expensive. At and beyond 15 years your batteries will likely to see high failure rates, and if you're not willing to invest in a battery pack, your car is dead.
One more thing about a consumer society we live in today. My oldest tractor is 71 years old, if it was in an EV, it would have since long expired. My oldest car is a 29 year old f150, dead if it was an EV. My daughters car is 20 years old, dead in EV land.

I will buy an EV at some point. But it just can't be my only vehicle. I'm on the waiting list for a new hummer EV scheduled to take delivery in the fall of 2023. My current truck is has 250k miles on it, and rust is becoming a ***** to deal with being in the rust belt. I recently blew brake lines and had to have them all replaced, and it wasn't cheap. I also had a radiator blow to rust, again an annoying and expensive fix.

There's something to be said about new cars, or even slightly used cars that come with a warranty and generally don't come with high repair bills. When you need your truck for work and to make your living, you can't afford down time or costly repair bills.

The one thing that can't be denied is the simplicity of EV's, fewer moving parts means fewer things to fail. No stretched head, no head gaskets, no valve cover gaskets, no oil to change or brake pads, rotors, or calipers. Sure there's electronics and electronics can be costly to repair, but I have 30+ year old computers that run just fine, it's just a matter of finding vibration resistant soldier that can handle the temperatures they're subjected to.

Then there's the biggest challenge of EV's: electricity. We use it in our homes daily, all the time, and we rely on it for nearly everything. But in my parts, I lose power often. A day or two at a time, or 1-2 weeks during winter months is not uncommon. Where's my EV then? That's where solar comes in. I don't need to go somewhere every day, so even a non-battery solar system works for me so I have power during hte day to live and charge an EV for hte days that I need it. Eventually I'll get batteries, but the fact that I'm overproducing during production hours I'll suck every watt from them that I can during a power outage. Owning an EV without a solar array, that's one thing I can't get behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.