TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #4,261  
Condor SS? That's almost cheating. ;) :drink: Shooting the Blue Streak .20 with the 14.3g conicals puts it above most other multi-pumps in a couple of ways.

The airgun industry is abandoning .20 cal like the firearm boys are continuing to ignore it. (still no .20 Hornet? duh!!) Air Force or Beeman, or fork over big $$.

I have Super Colibri 20g .22 RF ammo. 6 FPE (at muzzle), BC <.100, and 6" groups at 20 feet. My airguns can do a little better than that, and so can yours, continuously and accurately.

btw, IMO squirrel heads and starling bodies might not require a big wound channel. Tell me you haven't proven that true with airguns at backyard vs pasture distances. We're not hunting coyotes with them are we? :laughing:

In all due respect, 6" groups at less than 7 yards is really nothing to brag about, even for a pistol.

Pleaes give me enough credit to understand that a wound channel really doesn't mean that much with small critters. My only point is I was quoting feet per pound engery per weight vs velocity, which I'm not sold on per how effective the round may be.

The question becomes what is more quieter and effective for very small game? My point is nothing will beat a .22 LR subsonic round shooting though a long barrel rifle suppessed for both quietness and lethality on such "small game".

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #4,262  
I've had an adder on my 10/22 with subsonic and it is a hoot and would do it all day every day but subsonic are hard to find at times (used to be at least) and $10/100 has been the going rate for a while, now it's still $7 for the cheapest I've seen it... It's $6 for a tin of 500 Crosman hollow points in .22

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #4,263  
The subsonic .22 will not cycle in any of my semi-automatic pistols or rifles. They are fairly quiet though. I need to just get some of my old single shot rifles sighted in.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #4,264  
The subsonic .22 will not cycle in any of my semi-automatic pistols or rifles. They are fairly quiet though. I need to just get some of my old single shot rifles sighted in.

The subs your pushing in you semi auto .22LR probably have a velocity of around 750-800 FPS out of a 16" barrel.

If you use subsonic ammo that will push over 1,000 FPS out of a 16" barrel, the round should cycle the action with no issues whatsoever.

The issue is if you're using higher velocity subsonic ammo (over 950 FPS from my own experience) WITHOUT a supressor, you're still getting the "muzzle blast" making substantial noise. Use 1050 FPS ammo out of a 16" barrel bolt action rifle using a supressor, quieter than a BB gun IMO.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #4,265  
I've had an adder on my 10/22 with subsonic and it is a hoot and would do it all day every day but subsonic are hard to find at times (used to be at least) and $10/100 has been the going rate for a while, now it's still $7 for the cheapest I've seen it... It's $6 for a tin of 500 Crosman hollow points in .22

Kind of comparing apples to oranges IMO.

How much is the air to push the ammo?

Thing is, even if you're looking at a fresh can of air with higher veolocity, you still won't achieve the same type of ballistics from a 44 grain bullet traveling at over 1,000 PFS.

Don't get me wrong, happy with my bone collector and the .177 pellets it shoots with it's given velocity, just that I tend to shoot the suppressed .22lr more for sheer fun.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #4,266  
Kind of comparing apples to oranges IMO. ..

Oh, c'mon .. that'd be like comparing .22 RF to pellet guns. Y'know >/= 100 FPE vs 20-30. :rolleyes: My comment on the 6" groups was about what some specialty ammo is good for. 60g SSSs are sure to go sideways by 10yd from a std twist tube, thus the 1:10" gun. (Some of this stuff, everybody knows already, and some backyards are <1/4 acre.) Cost per shot is subject to a variety of justifications and excuses excuses.

Subsonic ammo rarely cycles semi-auto ___s, of any type or make, yet there are rifles and revolvers that cycle them like any other rounds. :p I don't know a lot of folks who shoot their 10/22s often at 10 yd and less unless you do. I don't know many who shoot Airguns at 10 yd and more. Could that be why you left the orchard for the orange grove? :D

Big power ifference, and useful range difference. IMO darned few airguns are inappropriate for indoor/basement shooting, and darned few .22 rimfire ammo is good for at-home indoor shooting. (Compare bullet traps for each). I shoot shoot 36-60g subsonic .22 from std and 1:10" twist 10/22s mostly >150 yd, a 6" group would be half my best so far. I have a .22 RF Smoothbore shotgun that won't approach any of my pelguns at 30'/10yd in stopping power. (a cowbird ain't a crow, but ammo reviewers who said 15'/5yd max effective range for .22 RF shot weren't kidding.)

Bananas and watermelons I say, but SA, you've been air-gunning long enough that you don't need this here.jpg to prove anything. btw, Are you taking offers on that anemic AF pneumatic? If it's 'older' enough (pre Spin-Loc) it could be worth a bit less, but I'm asking. Nice. :)

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #4,267  

What is an "adder" in reference to allowing you to use subsonic ammo in your 10-22?

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #4,268  
I toyed with a "solvent trap" back when they were popular... now frowned upon I believe...

I'm all for anything really, I just got back into pellet guns when I lived on a 80' wide lot where 3 neighbors could see into my back yard and I didn't want to make a bunch of noise but still had skunks and raccoons... that and I like to tinker and think about the old days with my friend shooting BB guns, and I have a metal lathe which the Crosman line of pump guns is easy to modify for a DIY person...

Don't try to bring practicality or reason into things, there's no need for that :). I drive mostly Ford's because most of my friends don't, and now that I've been working on them so long it's just easier for me. That and shooting direction isn't NEAR as important with a pellet gun, if I'm shooting a 500fps .177 pellet at a starling that's 50 yards out toward a neighbors house that is about 200 yards away I know that pellet isn't going to make it. My go to summer starling gun is a Crosman 2240 with a steel breech, shoulder stock and 24" .177 barrel, nearly all the CO2 is used up in the barrel so it's pretty quiet, should check it's velocity one of these days but it does it's job.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #4,269  
Y'know, IMO you guys are keeping this thread 'hopping' with some really good stuff. :thumbsup: .. :drink:

Besides airguns, there's plenty to bring into focus here, and I for one hope y'all will keep other aspects of shooting current in the conversation despite my 'diversionary load'. :p

(Airgunners are typically ok to remain 'under the radar'. We rely on others to catch/keep us 'up on' the higher powered firearm stuff right along. ;))

btw, I shared with a friend some <$100 'solvent trap kits' that are no more than a bunch of parts. (YET!) No 'caliber' holes drilled, so one needs only the Fed permit. Once a Federal permit is obtained, the 'kit' can be machined into a then-legal 'moderator'. (Ain't just for 'preppers' anymore, I hear. :))

If I my ask, what would you call this? 13Pcs 1/2-28 Aluminum Trap Solvent Fuel Filter Suit For NAPA 43 WIX 243 Silver SPELAB (Holes 'spotted' to drill 'on center' on your DP? :laughing: Yeah, riiiight. Got lathe?)

("Your personal research junkie" at your service 24/7/365. :p t o g)

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #4,270  
Had to look, my long ago air rifle as a kid (that my dad gave me that use to be his) was a Benjamin Sheridan blue streak, shooting a 5mm pellet (14.3 grain) at apparently 675 FPS. I LOVED that air rifle. Very accurate using those old plastic yellow box of 5mm pellets IMO.

Using a dummy app, 14.3 grains at 850FPS comes up to around 23 foot/pounds. Going .22LR suppressed, a 44 grain .22LR going around 1050FPS comes up to over 100 foot/lbs of "engergy".

Personally, I'm not sold on "energy" or "knock down power" of ballistics, as I hold to the notion that the larger and faster the bullet, that larger wound channel created with the greater loss of blood is better, however foot per lbs of engery is at least a way to judge ballistic performance to some extent. No different than the age old internet argument of which is better IMO, the 9mm or .45 (as long as you kill what you shoot who really cares?).

Not trying to be argumentative, but a suppressed .22LR shooting subsonic ammo out of a rife is not only more quiet than shooting my old blue streak rifle, it's quieter than shooting my still functional Daisy red ryder bb gun.

That said, shooting an old compressed air rifle out in the backyard years ago. I'm not opposed to air rifles, just after shooting .22LR surpressed, I was like "man, I'm been missing this all this time?!" LOL

View attachment 630587

You talking about this guy??

IMG_1816.JPG