TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,081  
It wouldn't be my first choice. The problem with most .22-250 ammo is they're fairly thin jacketed and made more for varmints. Like Old Grind says, maybe FMJ and head/neck shots. For me, most pig calibers start at .243 with a stout bullet.
Not a first choice I agree, but very suitable with good shot placement. If you don’t feel you can wait for a good shot or put in a good shot then other calibers and methods of getting rid of them are probably better.

Very large boar 2.3 took a few years ago. She was shooting 77 grn custom comps which I wouldn’t recommend on hogs but it’s what she had for deer at the time.

8558C2A3-6290-4E6D-8114-2052EACEB439.jpeg

88ABEC82-842C-4E24-BDDE-A41D29D61A21.jpeg

73BDEED9-64AA-4796-B32B-FA159F018CD0.jpeg

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,082  
Not much of a gun guy. But I did buy some Russian ammo 5.56 x 45 Barnaul. I think their 55 gr lacquered. I have a walking varmitor 25 savage. Will these cause any issues in this rifle? It does also say 223 on the box. Their much cheaper

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,084  
It wouldn't be my first choice. The problem with most .22-250 ammo is they're fairly thin jacketed and made more for varmints. Like Old Grind says, maybe FMJ and head/neck shots. For me, most pig calibers start at .243 with a stout bullet.
I guess I'm to old school.

ANYTHING over 100 lbs that walks on four legs in the world, and you can feel comfortable with hitting out to 100 yards, will be taken down with a .45-70 depending on the load-bullet combo.

Thing is, the .45-70 is just too plain jane and not great marketing material IMO.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,085  
Not much of a gun guy. But I did buy some Russian ammo 5.56 x 45 Barnaul. I think their 55 gr lacquered. I have a walking varmitor 25 savage. Will these cause any issues in this rifle? It does also say 223 on the box. Their much cheaper
Should be fine, you probably wont run enough ammo through a bolt action to notice the extra wear. If you were shooting classes with a semi I wouldn't recommend it though.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,086  
Ok. What is the issue with it. It wears the chamber?

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,087  
Thing is, the .45-70 is just too plain jane and not great marketing material IMO.
Ain't that the truth. Saw a 44-40 lever gun I really wanted at the last gunshow I went to but I don't have any 44-40 and didn't see any ammo at the gunshow or a quick google so left it. Straight walled cartridges' are cool like low riders and choppers, they'll be in style for a long time...with a select type of male homosapiens.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,088  
Ok. What is the issue with it. It wears the chamber?
The steel is more abrasive than brass cases. It's coated to reduce that but once the coating gets scratched (by moving through he action) you're rubbing steel on steel.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,089  
Ok. Thanks. Yes, doesn’t sound like that would be an issue. Never going to be fired that often.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,090  
Should be fine, you probably wont run enough ammo through a bolt action to notice the extra wear. If you were shooting classes with a semi I wouldn't recommend it though.
20-30 years ago, european lacquered steel mil surplus ammo did have issues in American made semi autos. Remember having to help a guy remove a case from his AR that was stuck big time with that kind of ammo.

No proof, but a WAG would be heat transfered due to shooting a lot with a semi with the coating on the case from Europe.

Tolerances with American made guns I believe are tighter than some European military style guns (AKA the AR vs the AK LOL). That said, have plenty of cheap mil surplus steel European ammo for fun, and with a piston semi auto, within the last 10-15 years, never a problem on my end.

Again, no proof on my end, just a WAG.