TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,331  
gsg, From Speer #14, for 125/130g and likely ok with other typical 'cup and core' pills of the same weight and with CCI 200s:

IMR 4198 29g max, start at 25g and work up. Min velocity 1969, max 2185 in 22" barrel. MEs from 1075 to 1320 accordingly. Expect BCs to be just shy of .200, but IMO shots from 150-200 yds would be reasonable performers.

I have access to hundreds of .308 loads of all bullet weights, many exclusive to online memberships, but tested. What matters is the bullet weight, primer, and powder you have on hand. Name 'em and I can see what else is out there.

btw, Somewhere in between the above and typical 'factories' there are many recipes whose velocity and ME fall in between with starting loads. Get your COAL right for you chamber with each bullet, and the rest is easy.

"What have we got so far?" ("Ajax Liquor Store", Hudson & Landry)

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,332  
I just put an adjustable gas block on my AR-10 and AR-15 to help with shooting suppressed. Between the suppressor and the adjustable gas block, it makes a big difference in managing recoil on the .308. I used the Superlative Arms bleed-off gas blocks.

I also need to develop a lighter .308 round for shooting pigs. When you get a sounder, it's nice to be able to have more manageable recoil so you can get more rounds on targets as they start scattering about. Deciding between sticking with 150 gr bullets, or I might drop to 130 or 125 gr. Leaning towards the lighter bullets so I can keep the velocity higher. The old saying, speed kills, applies.
Anyone have any recipes?
V-MAX as fast as your comfortable pushing them. Blasted quite a few over the last three years with them and it does outstanding, especially with hits that may not be the best like when you’re trying to put down a good chunk of a sounder.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,333  
gsg, From Speer #14, for 125/130g and likely ok with other typical 'cup and core' pills of the same weight and with CCI 200s:
That Speer HotCor bullet is the one I was looking at. My shots are 125 yds or less, so a flat nose, flat base with a cannelure is what I was looking for. I think that Speer bullet fits all of those. I'll see what I have for powder, primers are a bigger issue.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,334  
That Speer HotCor bullet is the one I was looking at. My shots are 125 yds or less, so a flat nose, flat base with a cannelure is what I was looking for. I think that Speer bullet fits all of those. I'll see what I have for powder, primers are a bigger issue.
I'm not pro or anything but I think you'd be very disappointed using anything with a lead tip in an AR platform magazine, or any semi-auto really.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME
#10,335  
At my age, I'm still wondering why my fat arse still needs a belt to hold my pant ups...
Opposite of me... my arse is shrinking and my belly increasing. A belt is a must. And no tucking for me... I don't need to accentuate my curves. And did I mention I hate gravity? :mad:

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME
#10,336  
Oh and I am with you, Roy. Semi auto in the nightstand. No kids/grandkids around. If they are... it goes in a safe if I am not in the room.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,337  
I'm not pro or anything but I think you'd be very disappointed using anything with a lead tip in an AR platform magazine, or any semi-auto really.

S2S, Why do you say this? I've reloaded for years for handguns, 9mm, 10mm, .44 mag etc. and also for all my hunting rounds, 300 WM, 25-06, .260 Rem. I haven't reloaded for an AR, and I might know some of the issues that cause you concern, but you sound more knowledgeable and I'm wondering what I might be overlooking. My thoughts on that HotCor is that it's a flatpoint, so less deformation in the mag and chambering and the cannelure so I get a good solid crimp and less bullet creep from recoil sitting in the mags. I've found my Armalite AR10B is extremely reliable and feeds most anything (I don't think it's ever jammed on anything).

With the AR-10, I typically hunt with a 10 round mag, but I also have a couple of 25 rd mags that I'll probably start using more. Those cartridges can live a rough life, if they hang around a while. I've always had good luck with plain ol' Remington CoreLokt ammo (but the tips can get hammered) and was just trying to use a similar bullet. Is there something else you recommend? I just want a bullet that gets lots of action, meat damage isn't a concern.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,338  
S2S, Why do you say this? I've reloaded for years for handguns, 9mm, 10mm, .44 mag etc. and also for all my hunting rounds, 300 WM, 25-06, .260 Rem. I haven't reloaded for an AR, and I might know some of the issues that cause you concern, but you sound more knowledgeable and I'm wondering what I might be overlooking. My thoughts on that HotCor is that it's a flatpoint, so less deformation in the mag and chambering and the cannelure so I get a good solid crimp and less bullet creep from recoil sitting in the mags. I've found my Armalite AR10B is extremely reliable and feeds most anything (I don't think it's ever jammed on anything).
With the AR-10, I typically hunt with a 10 round mag, but I also have a couple of 25 rd mags that I'll probably start using more. Those cartridges can live a rough life, if they hang around a while. I've always had good luck with plain ol' Remington CoreLokt ammo (but the tips can get hammered) and was just trying to use a similar bullet. Is there something else you recommend? I just want a bullet that gets lots of action, meat damage isn't a concern.
Mostly deformation, in the magazine and feeding. Most bolt action rifles have 3-5 round magazines which are also generally longer than an AR magazine. So more room to move with recoil and less times they’re slammed into the front of the magazine. Feeding in an AR manipulates the round at much more extreme angles than feeding a bolt action and will ride the tip of the round a lot more, soft lead deforms. Ballistic tips are popular for more than just their increased BCs, you also get more consistency in shape/length/balance.

However, comma. Ballistic tips also deform, this is my .260 hunting mag for this season. I try to rotate but obviously the round in the number two position has seen some action.
6A7D0783-9DEF-4577-B564-ED4CED07CDCF.jpeg

Hard to see but it’s actually folded over about .01”. Only shot two deer this season and don’t think any hogs so two rounds fired plus loading and unloading did that much damage. No, won’t notice that inside 200, but lead deformed? Probably at least notice accuracy degradation if not ballistic changes.
2C5CA368-FBF8-4390-A5B3-3D5D4A6A3A99.jpeg

ETA those are ELDMs and we’ve had great success on our small deer here out to 400 yards with those, and a few hogs. VMAX are my go to for .30 deer and hog though. I’ve found Hornady to be a nice balance between affordability, accuracy, and terminal ballistics.

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,339  
Opposite of me... my arse is shrinking and my belly increasing. A belt is a must. And no tucking for me... I don't need to accentuate my curves. And did I mention I hate gravity? :mad:
I am considering suspenders. Belly is not increasing as I maintain my 175 lb High School fighting weight, but I am afraid old man but.. is here to stay. Nothing to cinch up to.