Todays shop time.

/ Todays shop time.
I helped my brother turn a bowl today. I’m not a huge fan of carbide tools, I can get a much better finish with HSS tools but the carbide scraper sure does rough out a bowl fast. And the last picture is some stuff I made a couple years ago. IMG_8556.JPGIMG_8557.JPGIMG_8574.JPGIMG_8562.JPG

/ Todays shop time. #962  
A relative novice speaking here, but I'm becoming more a fan of carbide edges. Yeah I use and sharpen HSS gouges frequently, and remove a lot of material with them, but the little carbide inserts have yet to fail me for intricate work or for hybrid material turning.

/ Todays shop time. #963  
Should've done this mod a while ago. Added a Wixey Digital Readout to my planer. Wow! Now I can dial it in to .005in accuracy in a jiffy. Always hard to go back and make additional boards at the same thickness without a lot of fussing using a tape measure or rule on the machine.

View attachment 651823 View attachment 651822
Thinking I might 'need' one for my table saw as well. :cool2:

That is pretty cool! Was it just a lot you added on? I would love that on my planers!

/ Todays shop time. #964  
Simple project compared to some of the other projects I see done on here. I needed some rollers for a transfer chair. I took the chair apart a couple years ago and couldn't find the original ones so I made some new ones. But, I did find the skiving tool I used 25 to 30 years ago to make the original ones so that saved me some time.

IMG_0431.JPG IMG_0433.JPGIMG_0432.JPG IMG_0434.JPG

It took 2-1/2 hrs to do the layout, figure out the process and finish the first one, then 45 minutes to make the other 3. No tight tolerances (+/-.005) were needed on these so it was pretty quick to do. Naturally, I made these last Saturday afternoon and found the others Sunday morning. Oh well, it was good practice. Skiving tools are a great way to cut in special shapes when needed.

/ Todays shop time. #965  
Very nice and clever way of cutting a radius! :thumbsup:

/ Todays shop time. #966  
Maintenance time this evening. Getting tired of my parallel clamps hanging up because of the glue residue on the slide rails. Finally decided to deal with the worst offenders.

A chisel (that isn't my best), some Acetone, a wire brush, beeswax, paste wax, spray lubricant, and some elbow grease. I disassembled and clamped the clamp bar and got on it. Cleaned up and waxed the rails and the acme threads in the heads and re-assembled.

IMG_9958.jpeg IMG_4191.jpg IMG_5957.jpeg IMG_8333.jpeg

Wow... now these slide better than new... no kidding. Takes about 10min per clamp and SO worth it!

/ Todays shop time. #967  
Maintenance time this evening. Getting tired of my parallel clamps hanging up because of the glue residue on the slide rails. Finally decided to deal with the worst offenders.

A chisel (that isn't my best), some Acetone, a wire brush, beeswax, paste wax, spray lubricant, and some elbow grease. I disassembled and clamped the clamp bar and got on it. Cleaned up and waxed the rails and the acme threads in the heads and re-assembled.

View attachment 652283 View attachment 652280 View attachment 652281 View attachment 652282

Wow... now these slide better than new... no kidding. Takes about 10min per clamp and SO worth it!

That’s MY kind of day.

/ Todays shop time. #968  
I need to get some wax on mine. It's one of those things that get put off until I need a clamp and then I fool around trying to keep wax paper it place. Talk about frustrating.

/ Todays shop time. #969  
I need to get some wax on mine. It's one of those things that get put off until I need a clamp and then I fool around trying to keep wax paper it place. Talk about frustrating.

Yep I gave up using wax paper. I just try to wipe drips when I see them during clamping. Tearing them down and cleaning isn’t too bad once you get motivated. Sure is a sweet feeling once you are done.

/ Todays shop time.
I started putting a piece of painters tape across the bar. It’s quick and low hassle.