Tongue weight scale

/ Tongue weight scale #1  

flusher

Tractor
Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.
I'm thinking about getting one of these

Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scales

for use with the 10K GN trailer that I plan to buy in a few months.
Anyone have any experience with one of these scales?
Are there better or cheaper alternatives?

/ Tongue weight scale #2  
It depends how much tongue weight you want. I've used a bathroom scale set on blocks at the same hight as the hitch. Scale I used will go up to 350lbs and I've not needed any more tongue weight than that.

/ Tongue weight scale
It depends how much tongue weight you want. I've used a bathroom scale set on blocks at the same hight as the hitch. Scale I used will go up to 350lbs and I've not needed any more tongue weight than that.

As I understand the setup used for GN trailers, pin weigh should be 15-25% of the towed load. So with a fully loaded 10K GN, the pin weight could be as high as 2500 lb. Can't handle that with my bathroom scale.

/ Tongue weight scale #4  
I've used this method before.

measure_tw_b_500.jpg

/ Tongue weight scale #5  
I usually guess at it,after years of towing,you can get a pretty good idea of where your at,and where you need to be at.I have taken my camper to the cert scales just because im travelling far,and i wanted to make sure my axles weights were all ok.I have the biggest issues with my dump trailer,I end up with 1500-2000lbs tongue weight pretty easily,and i dont want to hook up the W/D bars for the 3 mile trip home.My 3/4 t HD trucks like 900-1200lbs tongue weight on all my larger trailers(33ft sunnybrook,14K dump,and 9900 flatbed).My 7k enclosed you can run as light as 700 and be ok,but it handles better at 8-900.
The tow vehicle will tell you if your too tongue light or heavy,either way will result in poor handling.IMO tongue light is very dangerous,as the tail wags the dog easily here.I always run a little tongue heavy if im not sure,and readjust the load back after a short drive if its too far forward.

/ Tongue weight scale #6  
   / Tongue weight scale #7  
I'm thinking about getting one of these

Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scales

for use with the 10K GN trailer that I plan to buy in a few months.
Anyone have any experience with one of these scales?
Are there better or cheaper alternatives?
I bought that same scale 2+ years ago and have been very happy with it.When I move the tractor just a little you can see the difference easily. I try to run between 900-1200lbs.
I would highly recommend it.

/ Tongue weight scale #9  
....My 7k enclosed you can run as light as 700 and be ok,but it handles better at 8-900.
The tow vehicle will tell you if your too tongue light or heavy,either way will result in poor handling.IMO tongue light is very dangerous,as the tail wags the dog easily here.I always run a little tongue heavy if im not sure,and readjust the load back after a short drive if its too far forward.

With the WD bars on our 7K trailer 750 to 1000 works fine. I tend to run nose heavy also. With the coupler locked and nose heavy, you're not going to come off the ball. Tail heavy and you could. And as you said, tail heavy can get squirrelly.

/ Tongue weight scale #10  
Interesting device the little tongue scale. I have successfully used the bath scale and the board for weights exceeding the scales limits.