Took Down Pole barn 48 by 90, Move it and rebuild to 48 by 88 for $1 SQ FT

/ Took Down Pole barn 48 by 90, Move it and rebuild to 48 by 88 for $1 SQ FT #21  
here is my floor plan layout

My living space will be 26 by 48. I am only planning one bedroom and one bathroom

View attachment 638212

with over 1,200 square feet of living space, I would seriously reconsider your floor plan. The amount of wasted space that you have in your drawing, along with so many odd sitting areas, doesn't make any sense. If this was just drawn for reference and doesn't have any relationship to what you are actually doing, ignore my comments, but as a builder/remodeler, you could create a very functional, livable home with that much space. I would have two bedrooms and two bathrooms for sure. A laundry room and tons of closets. That would be my priority, then a kitchen with plenty of storage and counter space.

My home was 1,000 square feet and I have 3 bedrooms and two bathrooms with my laundry in the hallway. I added on 240 square feet to create a massive master bathroom and walk in closet with the laundry in the master closet. At 1,200 square feet, I now have 3 bathrooms.

I also paid cash for my home and work on it when I have the time and money. I moved into it with one bedroom and bathroom done. I ate out of a microwave and a refrigerator in the garage.

/ Took Down Pole barn 48 by 90, Move it and rebuild to 48 by 88 for $1 SQ FT
Eddie read the last post

I want a big open area tired of having smaller rooms. Not worried about resale value tired of paying taxes for a bedroom that someone might use once a year. I want a big sitting area.

/ Took Down Pole barn 48 by 90, Move it and rebuild to 48 by 88 for $1 SQ FT #24  
It appears the drawing isn't even close to accurate. For example, it indicates the bedroom is 13ft from the walk in door to the back wall? The house is 26ft. So the bedroom door is actually in the middle of the house? So the sitting area isn't proportionately as big as it appears? If so, the space at the top of the drawing, to the left, is deeper than it appears? Will be hard to utilize that deep, narrow cavity.

I'm all about the concept. Something similar to this is what I would have built had I been single.

Maybe take your drawing to a local builder that you know and ask what he thinks? Maybe go to the local Lumber Yard and have them look at it. I got a lot of very good advice from the owner of my Lumber Yard.

Anxiously following this project. Kudos for having the fortitude to take on this project!!!!

I have modified the printed version but could not save it so had to redo whole thing and I got tired of that. the wall will go 26 feet.
the bathroom will be 9 by 12, the bedroom will be 14 by 12, and then the last space 3 by 12 will a wall to wall closet. will use barn doors
on rollers to give me access to most the room in closet. I have not poured concrete yet so have plenty of time to modify. another thing I think I want
is a v or l shaped island bigger then the drawing. It will have two surface heights one to eat on and a work space for me. I want that people can sit there
and eat off the back side with stools. At the ends I thinking about having like pine or cedar posts up to ceiling not sure yet. But once we pour concrete
it more defined. But for now I can change my mind. The two doors on the one side of building will be for my living room dinning room. the sliding door let
in so much light and opens to just my land when I look out.

My contractor is Amish and he has great suggestions and knows what I like the new place is 21 miles away so it is not a hard ship
to meet him there in the morning we change plans when something happens, thus far no big deals. Or he will call me and hey it is easier to space 4 windows
on the wall then 3.

/ Took Down Pole barn 48 by 90, Move it and rebuild to 48 by 88 for $1 SQ FT #26  
In regards to the Island. When you get that decided don't forget to run electrical under the concrete. Plumbing and Drain also if that's needed.

Our Island is straight, 6ft long with Cooktop in center, no plumbing. Island has overhead light with switch in one end of Island. Duplex electrical in other end.

/ Took Down Pole barn 48 by 90, Move it and rebuild to 48 by 88 for $1 SQ FT #27  
We are view people as well. No curtains or blinds on any windows. Big windows. Have good views out of each side of house. Plenty of daylight in the house.

Efficient views are expensive. We have roughly 160 sqft of glass. We bought good quality windows and doors to minimize heating cooling costs with that much glass.

Current house is modular 3 bedrooms 2 baths. I have quests a couple times a year, but always in the summer. No basement, no attic. No garage, no extra room for freezer or
ref in the house. All that stuff out in barn. 6 steps to get in house. No cover on front porch or deck. Everything needs
to be shoveled in winter. I am sick and tired of heating and paying taxes on rooms I only use a few times a year. I would much rather be in one big room where I spend
the majority of my waking hours when I am in the house.

This will be summer time home will go south in winter. Will insulate but will drain water down ever winter lower heat and go to texas in travel trailer. I work from home
and sick of cold winters. All I need is broadband in order to work. So come January down south i will head. House will be built so i can spend winter up here. But looking
forward to having NO STEPS. Being able to drive my truck under cover (The cable end ) having everything in one building. No more having to take snow off truck or defrost windshield. Not
having to go out to barn to get something out of the freezers. Or grocery shop and seal a meal the meat and having to take if out to barn to put in freezer.

Not having to walk on icy porch to get to my truck. Big outdoor living area everything under cover my grills, smokers, not having to take cushions in the house because
it is going to rain. Not having to roll my windows up in truck because it is going to rain. No steps to carry groceries in to house. Could buy a kids wagon and pull them right in the
house.

For me this all about making life as easy and as simple as I can get it. My utility room in garage will also double as a walk in pantry so I can just take a photo
before going grocery shopping and being able to see what I have on selves before if decide I want to make something for dinner and not sure I have everything.
Will heat with propane, taking my tank with me its paid for. Will have 2 zones one for garage and one for house. Force hot air so can use ducts for
air conditioning. Now have to take muddy and snow cove boots off in house looking forward to being able to keep my coats and boots in garage. Will have a coat
rack and bench out there to take shoes off.

I cook with Propane now, will propane furnace, will have on demand hot water heater, a energy pacific propane stove come in when it is cold want a fire click a button instant flame.
No more wood carrying in house. House will not be as dusty due to wood stove. Going to have the concrete painted with epoxy paint
with area rugs. I swear you could have a house of 2000 sq feet of tile and 2 sq feet of carpet and your dog
will puke, pea, or crap on that 2 sq feet of rug. No more wall to wall carpeting. If the floors are cold that is what they make slippers for.
Will be easy clean up with dogs and puppies, and I think a great deal less dust.

That epoxy paint can be done very pretty. Many designs has come a long way. If I choose to have some kind HW flooring putting down later I can.

Last edited:
   / Took Down Pole barn 48 by 90, Move it and rebuild to 48 by 88 for $1 SQ FT #29  
You have a very well thought out plan on what you want and how to go about achieving it.

One thing I can say now that I have experience is this was well worth doing my costs to get barn down and moved was about $6000.
So long as the new barn follows the same rules about purling's with spacing it was not much of issue to use the same holds in roof and sides.
Even the metal that had cut outs for outdoor electric we will just put outdoor electric plugs there. With our snow load the trusses alone would
of cost that. Plus we moved about 3 to 4 ton of metal. Saved many of the posts and headers. Windows,, doors,, etc.

The only thing I can say is who ever takes it down should be the crew to put it back up again. That is what I did. I have no regrets.
Poles barns are easier to break down then a house as most of them in this area the truss are 4 foot on center, the purling's are always spaced the
same. Also the barn I took down was a good quality barn the Amish guy that did mine said it was a very well built barn much better
then the Morton pole barns they have worked on.

We even saved some money by reclaiming the 2 by 4 to reuse to brace the poles I bought a pneumatic nail gun remover. Air Locker nail kicker removing 9mm stick nails & 16 gauge brads. - YouTube We put a 5 gallon pail out to catch the nails in most cases it shot it clear thru the wood and into the pail.
but the over the nail and shoots it out the other end. Even removed the spiral nails that tool is the Cat Butt. It cost about $40 bucks on amazon
was well worth the money the Amish guy wants me to find battery operated one for him.