Took Down Pole barn 48 by 90, Move it and rebuild to 48 by 88 for $1 SQ FT

/ Took Down Pole barn 48 by 90, Move it and rebuild to 48 by 88 for $1 SQ FT
barn1.jpg
barnteardown2.jpgbarnteardown3.jpgbarnteardown6 .jpgbarnteardown7.jpgbarnteardown7.jpgbarntteardown6 .jpgbeginningstrippingmeatal .jpg

Day one all the metal was off the barn
all light fixtures were stored my guys even save the big light bulbs
all electric outlets
all pex fittings

Last edited:
sitework0.jpgsitework01.jpg

I had been looking for land not sure how many offers I made before I found someone who really wanted to sell and they took my offer second time around after I replaced my real estate person.
lot had not been brush hogged or touch in 28 years heavy brush and more apple trees then you can shake a stick at but level 25 acres parcel close to were I live now.

We started cutting none stop I hired my neighbor to help I went after work and on weekends. I had hired someone to brush hog and of course they never showed so my old brush hog was broken so I
and bought new used one and went to town. this is us doing driveway taking down grass as close as we can get it.

roughdriveway.jpg
Tried to get someone with dozer but of course everyone is booked right up when weather is good we took sod up with bucket on tractor. I hired my neighbor and got
driveway roughed in. Then I went and got filter fabric from the county laid that down and had a load of stone dumped every day at lunch and went over and smoothed
with bucket on tractor. till I had enough on the driveway to get in without sinking out of sight.

driveway2.jpgdriveway1 .jpg

Last edited:
Now we need to make a site for the barn which would be 48 by 88.

So again could not get anyone to do site work so I rented a dozer and my neighbor ran the dozer I moved all the dirt and spread about 120 ton of bank run gravel and number 2 stone.

did not use a transom and we should of slight pitch and at 88 feet turn into a foot at the other end. But from what I have seen even when a barn company does the site work you still need a lot of fill.

sitework .jpgsitework3.jpgsitework4.jpgsitework5.jpgsitework6.jpgsitework7.jpgsitework11 .jpgsitework12.jpgsitework13.jpgsitewrok8.jpg

All the dirt we dug up I placed were I am going to my leach fields hopefully will perk but will add so we will not need some much fill.

The next biggest hurdle was to get the metal and the trusses moved. the trusses are a 50 foot span. I must of made 40 phone calls trying to get someone to move the trusses.
finally I remember my neighbor brother is a trucker and he moved the trusses for me. We moved about 4 or 5 ton of metal from the barn. This was one of my biggest worries
was to get trusses moved safely. Had the same Amish crew take down the barn, helped move the trusses and then rebuilt barn in new location.

50footspantruss .jpgtrussesinpile .jpgtrussmoveday .jpg

The building inspector delayed us 1 1/2 months on the trusses. Had to get an engineering firm to come out and look at trusses and recertify which there is no such thing. He took one look at them and
said they are good that cost me $500 and 1 1/2 months of building time. I could of murdered someone. So the guys put the trusses up in 20 inches of snow. Only the Amish work like this in my opinion.

trussesday.jpg

trussesup .jpg

So now trusses are up. now comes the metal, doors, windows. I bought 3 new sliding glass doors to have in the living area of the barn. One in my bedroom
I did not want to waste time in framing in windows and I would prefer to have fire exit and I am always raising a puppy so will fence in around the door so
I can let the dogs out at night without having to watch them like a hawk and not have to go thru the entire house to let them out.

outside .jpg
closeupofbarn .jpg

Left an opening go thru with stone in the process now filling in outside around the barn with bank run gravel. Once we have outside filled in will bring floor up to right level.
We have been moving stuff in the over hang to store so not so much to move to once.

here some pictures from the inside again floor needs a lot to stone to level.

frontinside .jpg
inside1bed.jpg
insidegar .jpg
livingroom  .jpg
overhang1 .jpg

Last edited:
   / Took Down Pole barn 48 by 90, Move it and rebuild to 48 by 88 for $1 SQ FT #19  
- yes for a smaller building 30 by 48 without any over hangs the building materials are $15,000 to $20,000 the building I am talking about repurposing with doors and windows was $75,000 14 years.
this building has 10 windows 8 walk through doors and metal on the ceiling and side inside. and over head door.
- It should not take more then 2 days to take the metal off the barn and another day for the Trusses. this is assuming 2 or 3 men.
let just say if I find I do by the hour and they make $60 an hour. that is $480 a day per man. for 3 days that is $4320
- even if it costs me $1000 to move materials. I am mostly interested in all the metal and the trusses.
- Want to do as soon as possible

Congratulations!!! Your new barn looks great. How close to your expectations on what it would cost did you come?

here is my floor plan layout

Barn is 48 by 88. We broke one truss when we took them down so made the barn 88 instead of 90 feet.

enclosed will be 48 by 48. 3 sides will be the overhang which will clear span 40 long and 48 feet wide.
In the over hang will make a summer kitchen to cook and entertain outside. 20 wide will concrete by 48
the rest will be crusher run to store equipment and my truck, tractor, ATV, UTV, Zero turn.

My living space will be 26 by 48. I am only planning one bedroom and one bathroom
my garage space will be 22 by 48 plenty big enough for tools extra ref or freezers.

I have 2 wooden tool sheds one if 10 by 10 and the other is 10 by 20. I have company in the summer my friends come up and we train dogs and stay over for 1 or 2 nights
I am going to remodel tool shed into bunk house for quests will put a chemical toilet. will take my left over stockade fence and make an outdoor shower on the wall the house shower
is on. The stockade fence will be about 5 by 5 with a bench and privacy panels. it will do for summer.

Will try and finish this slowly with not mortgage the best land has been bought with cash 25 acres more then I really want or need.

not sure if you can see the blue print but will include it
blueprint.jpg

I know many of you thought this was a crazy idea but here it is. this is what we saved from old barn
23 50 foot trusses
10 4 by 6 posts the old barn company never cemented in. just pulled right out of the ground.
as we could get posts out of the ground we able to save the 4 by 8 headers from the 90 feet of the barn.
6 windows
5 walk thru doors
1 garage over head door.
3 ceiling fans
almost all the barn fascia
all the barn soffits
all pex fittings about 10 different connections for hose or sinks
all electrical outlets about 30
cleaned up many of the 2 by 4 and 2 by 6 with pneumatic nail remover
all the tin metal roof, metal sides, ceiling metal and wall metal on inside which will go in my garage.
I did buy 3 new sliding glass doors from home depot. Got them on sale for about $300 each not bad guarantee either.

This barn is 4224 sq feet. And it has a lot of windows and doors. Even if you could get someone to build it for $15 a sq foot
and the doors and windows really ad up. it would cost at least $67,584@at 15 sq. ft. Cost will vary depending on your part of the country. But remember
I have everything I need to do plumping and electric, except the wire it is the outlets and boxes that cost so much plus I had 2 big
panel circuit breaks in the barn and I am taking that with me.

As the barn sits now I have about $24,000 into it for taking it down and moving it, buying more materials, labor to put back up again.
I don't think I did too bad! this has been a BIG head ache and it has been a struggle but have more work to do, but this was this summer project
plus working a couple of full time jobs for a while, and trying to train my dogs. It was and is a full plate.