Tool Stuff, That I Was NEVER Taught, EVEN After 70 YEARS!!

/ Tool Stuff, That I Was NEVER Taught, EVEN After 70 YEARS!! #11  
One common JIS screw that has been buggered by countless mechanics, both DIY and professional, using Philips drivers is the flat-head screw that holds the brake disk onto Honda vehicles when the lug nuts are not installed. I replaced my screws with Torx head screws before I found out about JIS and bought some JIS bits. JIS will turn Philips but not vice versa.

/ Tool Stuff, That I Was NEVER Taught, EVEN After 70 YEARS!! #12  
There is also a similar head called "pozidrive". It's the standard screw head for ski bindings and some woodworking applications.

/ Tool Stuff, That I Was NEVER Taught, EVEN After 70 YEARS!! #13  
I did not learn about JIS Cross screw heads until many years after replacing all the case bolts on my first m/c (1975 Honda 360T) with an aftermarket set of allen-head bolts. A hammer-driven impact tool was absolutely necessary if you want to work on one of them.

I wondered about the little dot on the heads, however.

In the 90's I first saw and purchased some special Philips-head driver bits called "P2r" for screwguns. They are a reduced-head P2 bit, and they work great. Hard to find. May work OK for JIS cross cuz they are not very pointed.

/ Tool Stuff, That I Was NEVER Taught, EVEN After 70 YEARS!! #14  
If the cross drive screw head has small dash marks stamped between the drive slots, THAT'S NOT a Phillips drive! ;-)

eta

s219 pointed that out... oh well, call me anything but late for supper.

/ Tool Stuff, That I Was NEVER Taught, EVEN After 70 YEARS!! #16  
I didn't see it mentioned so maybe I missed it but JIS screws usually have a small dimple between one of the crosses........Mike

oops...I just noticed Calg mentioned it

dimple.jpg

/ Tool Stuff, That I Was NEVER Taught, EVEN After 70 YEARS!! #17  
Never seen a screw head like that - mrmikey. Maybe I should use my reading glasses more often.

/ Tool Stuff, That I Was NEVER Taught, EVEN After 70 YEARS!! #18  
Never seen a screw head like that.........
Didn't know there was such a thing until I started riding and checking my brake and clutch fluid and cursing when I rounded out the screws. A fella asked me, " do the screws have a dimple" wth are you talking about....sure enough, once I started looking I found them on my bike, 4 wheeler, generator carb etc................Mike

/ Tool Stuff, That I Was NEVER Taught, EVEN After 70 YEARS!! #20  
Well, I just learned something new today. Had never heard of JIS screws before, always just thought those screws were just cheaply made screws (I never bought the hype that somehow Japanese stuff was better than everyone else) that stripped easily.
Yep, learned early on about the hand impact drivers for working on motorcycles.

I gotta ask, why so many types of screw heads? Is it some sort of conspiracy to make us buy more tools or just the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing?