Tool Stuff, That I Was NEVER Taught, EVEN After 70 YEARS!!

/ Tool Stuff, That I Was NEVER Taught, EVEN After 70 YEARS!! #21  
If I damage anything that resembles a cross blade driver, JIS, Phillips, or any other thing of the sort, I usually do my best to find a suitable replacement with a Torx head on it. While damaging the screw is bad, damaging the tool is worse because all it will do then is damage other screws that it might have otherwise removed. It may be just a subtle twist of the flutes, but enough that it doesn't properly fit in teh slots of the screws it was designed for. I was actually taught in high school how to repair the point on a Phillips but have never had lasting success with one I damaged. If I see a point damaged, it becomes scrap metal rather than risk hurting more screws. I do NOT like cross-blade screws. Besides being much more reliable, Torx screws look cooler than cross-blade. I'll use hex socket (Allen) if I can't get what I want with Torx. I like flat blade even less than cross blade.

/ Tool Stuff, That I Was NEVER Taught, EVEN After 70 YEARS!! #22  
Well, I just learned something new today. Had never heard of JIS screws before, always just thought those screws were just cheaply made screws (I never bought the hype that somehow Japanese stuff was better than everyone else) that stripped easily.
Yep, learned early on about the hand impact drivers for working on motorcycles.

I gotta ask, why so many types of screw heads? Is it some sort of conspiracy to make us buy more tools or just the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing?
If you want 5 ONLY ways to do something, just ask 5 engineers.

/ Tool Stuff, That I Was NEVER Taught, EVEN After 70 YEARS!! #23  
Those motorcycle screws, ha. Wide flat bottom and soft too. I can still remember those on my 1972 Honda Trail 70. It didn’t take a 12 year old too long to strip them out even with that dinky reversable red handled screwdriver that came in the kit. Me and three friends each got one for Christmas. We were badazzes.

1639841695746.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Tool Stuff, That I Was NEVER Taught, EVEN After 70 YEARS!! #24  
yes JIS is better than Phillips but both of them are going out of style and being replaced with much better alternatives like Torx

/ Tool Stuff, That I Was NEVER Taught, EVEN After 70 YEARS!! #25  
My understanding is the JIS is a straight cut cross to help get proper grip for removal and torque. the standard phillips has sloped edges to the bit which is suppose to cam out to prevent overtorque aka strip the head

/ Tool Stuff, That I Was NEVER Taught, EVEN After 70 YEARS!! #26  
There is also a similar head called "pozidrive". It's the standard screw head for ski bindings and some woodworking applications.

And it's a proper design that works, Phillips should have been dead and forgotten decades ago, can't understand that a so bad design still is used, both are of course a inferior design now that Torx is available.

/ Tool Stuff, That I Was NEVER Taught, EVEN After 70 YEARS!! #27  
My understanding is the JIS is a straight cut cross to help get proper grip for removal and torque. the standard phillips has sloped edges to the bit which is suppose to cam out to prevent overtorque aka strip the head
It's just a very bad construction, not a feature by design.

/ Tool Stuff, That I Was NEVER Taught, EVEN After 70 YEARS!! #28  
I do NOT like cross-blade screws. Besides being much more reliable, Torx screws look cooler than cross-blade. I'll use hex socket (Allen) if I can't get what I want with Torx. I like flat blade even less than cross blade.
I don't mind phillips screw heads, though I agree on flat blade (slotted). Yeah, torx is an improvement though. Never cared much for allen screws, always seem to find one that's some odd size that's neither SAE or metric.

/ Tool Stuff, That I Was NEVER Taught, EVEN After 70 YEARS!! #29  
The motorcycle cases in that era had widespread issues with the phillips screws. I had a '71 Yamaha 175 and the local dealer had a wall with blister packs of socket head screws to replace each one; you just got the package with your model. Can't remember if it was dealer or aftermarket, but it took care of the coned head issue.
Looking back on that era, it must have been when Japan was transitioning from making trinkets to sophisticated products. We started riding European dirt bikes and marveled that the handlebar mounted levers bent instead of broke off, like our Japanese handles did. Forged aluminum vs cast aluminum.

Someone told me the first Honda cars imported to the US were chain drive...

/ Tool Stuff, That I Was NEVER Taught, EVEN After 70 YEARS!! #30  
One common JIS screw that has been buggered by countless mechanics, both DIY and professional, using Philips drivers is the flat-head screw that holds the brake disk onto Honda vehicles when the lug nuts are not installed. I replaced my screws with Torx head screws before I found out about JIS and bought some JIS bits. JIS will turn Philips but not vice versa.
While I knew about Pozidrive bits as they are common in European cabinet hardware, I never heard of the JIS bit until now. I did find a good solution to the Honda brake disc bolt however. I use a #3 Phillips bit in an impact driver to remove them. Almost always zips them right out. If you use the much more common #2 Phillips, you are hosed. It isn't a critical item for the assembly in any case, so if you mung it up, just get it out however you can and toss it. It does make getting the caliper back on easier, but you can do it without the screw. But Maybe I should get a couple JIS bits now that I know...