Tool Tray for L and MX Series Tractors With LA Loaders

/ Tool Tray for L and MX Series Tractors With LA Loaders
   / Tool Tray for L and MX Series Tractors With LA Loaders #22  
Unfortunately Ebay now charges their fee including the shipping charge. They got wise to the .01 headphones with the $49.99 shipping charge scam...... :eek:

Yep, a few tried to take advantage of ebay. They wised up. So it screwed the rest of us.

/ Tool Tray for L and MX Series Tractors With LA Loaders #23  
I agree, $47.63 is high for a simple tool box but it has the features I want. If anyone knows of a better price, please let me know. Amazon is getting $66.43 with shipping:

Tool Box Orange Metal Part No: A-5A3OR: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

What's so special about that box other than it's orange? Based on how the holes are on the bottom I don't think it will be a direct bolt on without drilling your own holes. Plus, the step mount is at a bit of an angle to the rest of the tractor and I couldn't mount my new box straight with it so the holes I drilled are at a bit of an angle. I think I had to do that to have plenty of room to open the box. Also, that box you linked to doesn't have a removable tray that I can see, which really helps with keeping small and commonly used items separate from everything else.

Whichever you choose use fender washers on the inside when you mount it.

What's so special about that box other than it's orange? Based on how the holes are on the bottom I don't think it will be a direct bolt on without drilling your own holes. Plus, the step mount is at a bit of an angle to the rest of the tractor and I couldn't mount my new box straight with it so the holes I drilled are at a bit of an angle. I think I had to do that to have plenty of room to open the box. Also, that box you linked to doesn't have a removable tray that I can see, which really helps with keeping small and commonly used items separate from everything else.

Whichever you choose use fender washers on the inside when you mount it.

I have no idea why the price is so high. Maybe it's the wording of the ad and the orange color which leads you to believe it is a Kubota OEM part which it isn't. I'm hoping the quality of the box supports the price. We'll see.

From the description I've seen, the box mounts to the frame in place of the step mount. Thanks for the tip on the fender washers. I may do one better and use a piece of plate steel to avoid metal fatigue from vibration. I don't really care about a tray. I can use a small plastic container or the loader tube trays for small parts.

/ Tool Tray for L and MX Series Tractors With LA Loaders #25  
I don't think you'll be able to mount directly to the frame because the hydraulic lines and filter will be in your way of opening it. I think you're going to have to drill your own holes either way you mount it. I guess my point was that you're going to have to modify either box to mount it, so what is it about that box makes you think you want to spend that much on it?

/ Tool Tray for L and MX Series Tractors With LA Loaders #26  
"What's so special about that box other than it's orange?"

The only thing more expensive than John Deere green is Kubota orange.....:) BUT, it's worth it...

I don't think you'll be able to mount directly to the frame because the hydraulic lines and filter will be in your way of opening it. I think you're going to have to drill your own holes either way you mount it. I guess my point was that you're going to have to modify either box to mount it, so what is it about that box makes you think you want to spend that much on it?

I ordered the cheapest one I could find on eBay. Its supposed to arrive next week. I'll post a review when I get it.

You may be right about about the mounting. I was going by a review someone posted online who said it bolted up to the frame of his MX. He didn't specify a location though. Another reviewer said the steel was heavier gauge than the average tool box, whatever that means. I have no problem modifying it if necessary.

In case anyone is interested, here are a few observations on the A&I Products 5A3OR tool box: As suggested, It will not bolt to the frame of a MX where the OEM tool box is located. It does however fit the step mount used by the OEM box. It required drilling 2 - 5/16" holes in the bottom of the box and reusing the OEM bolts. It took about 10 minutes to install. The box does not extend out past the edge of the heavier gauge step mount plate and is protected from damage underneath. When mounted to the step, the 4 rear holes used for frame mounting should be plugged to help keep out dirt & debris. The box itself is heavier duty than other boxes I was considering. It is made of 18 gauge steel, weighs just under 7 pounds and feels quite robust for it's 16 1/2" L 4 1/2" W 4 1/2" D size. It also fits very well in the space occupied by the plastic OEM box on the MX and has 3 times the volume.

Is it worth the $47 pricetag? I suppose it depends on the individual. In my case, I'll wait to see how well it holds up under use before passing judgement.

Attachments

• P1060247a.jpg
    P1060247a.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 272
  • P1060248a.jpg
    P1060248a.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 203
  • P1060249a.jpg
    P1060249a.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 198
  • P1060250a.jpg
    P1060250a.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 173
  • P1060251a.jpg
    P1060251a.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 163
  • P1060252a.jpg
    P1060252a.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 231
   / Tool Tray for L and MX Series Tractors With LA Loaders #29  
So how well does the paint color match up to Kubota orange?

In case anyone's interested, this place has some of the best prices I have found on A&I stuff (to my zip the box is $41 shipped):

A-5A3OR, (Miscellaneous), Tool Box, Orange,

The shade of orange on the tool box is a bit lighter than the standard Kubota color. Not a big deal for me considering what it's going to look like after it's first roll in the mud. Certainly not worth repainting IMO. The pics in my earlier post give a fairly accurate color comparison.

Thanks for the link albeit a bit late. With shipping to my location, I would have saved $5.

Last edited: