Toolcat questions

/ Toolcat questions #1  

turbo36

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD X739 AWS (3), 2016 Toolcat, JD 2038R
I'm thinking of replacing my Deere 3720 Cab tractor and Polaris Ranger with a 5600 Toolcat but I have a few concerns.

1. Lack of a differential lock - what is the real life traction? I saw a video on Youtube showing a series D Toolcat getting stuck going up a grade I wouldn't consider "steep"

2. Is there any way to hook up a back blade for clearing snow up close to buildings?

/ Toolcat questions #2  
I'm thinking of replacing my Deere 3720 Cab tractor and Polaris Ranger with a 5600 Toolcat but I have a few concerns.

1. Lack of a differential lock - what is the real life traction? I saw a video on Youtube showing a series D Toolcat getting stuck going up a grade I wouldn't consider "steep"

I'm fairly certain there was something wrong with that Toolcat and the dealer wasn't diagnosing it properly at the time. The TC is always in 4WD. That being said, in 2WS (wheel steer) I can spin all 4 tires at the same time. In 4WS I can spin one tire on each axle at the same time. I have been up steeper, slipperier slopes than that with a load on the front and made it up just fine many times.

2. Is there any way to hook up a back blade for clearing snow up close to buildings?

It has been done, there are several video's on YouTUBE and they can be found by searching in this section of the forum. The 5610 has a 3 pt at the rear of it instead of a receiver hitch that the 5600 has if that works better with your equipment.

DEWFPO

/ Toolcat questions #3  
This is a previous review of the Toolcat 5610 compared to a CUT. Maybe helpful.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/buying-pricing-comparisons/130891-toolcat-5610-vs-cut-review.html

The 5600 as you are aware, has the dump box. The box is much more HD than any side by side. Certainly the TC can carry and dump more.

I do think the TC can occassionally have issues on uneven terrain. It has variation of limited slip differential. On flat surfaces, I can spin all 4 tires. However, in situations, where the opposite corner tires carry little to no weight, I can get the tires to spin. Not a big deal in most cases and does not happen very often. I just back up and approach with a little different angle. It seems to have better traction in these situations when in 2 wheel steer, rather than 4 wheel steer.

A friend of mine just traded his JD 3520 and JD Gator in for a TC 5600. Have not talked with him yet on how he likes the TC. Since you have a JD 3720, you might consider the 5610.

Here is a link to a Carry hauler I had used on my JD 3720 and now use on my TC 5610. Makes a nice dump box. I did have to make a few mods to the carry hauler.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/128602-carry-hauler-modification.html

/ Toolcat questions
   / Toolcat questions
This is a previous review of the Toolcat 5610 compared to a CUT. Maybe helpful.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/buying-pricing-comparisons/130891-toolcat-5610-vs-cut-review.html

The 5600 as you are aware, has the dump box. The box is much more HD than any side by side. Certainly the TC can carry and dump more.

I do think the TC can occassionally have issues on uneven terrain. It has variation of limited slip differential. On flat surfaces, I can spin all 4 tires. However, in situations, where the opposite corner tires carry little to no weight, I can get the tires to spin. Not a big deal in most cases and does not happen very often. I just back up and approach with a little different angle. It seems to have better traction in these situations when in 2 wheel steer, rather than 4 wheel steer.

A friend of mine just traded his JD 3520 and JD Gator in for a TC 5600. Have not talked with him yet on how he likes the TC. Since you have a JD 3720, you might consider the 5610.

Here is a link to a Carry hauler I had used on my JD 3720 and now use on my TC 5610. Makes a nice dump box. I did have to make a few mods to the carry hauler.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/128602-carry-hauler-modification.html

Thanks for the info, nice review.

/ Toolcat questions #6  
there is a rear hydro kit that can be added to the 5600 and a 3pt for adding a blade. you could ofcourse get a 3pt mount for the front and put a blade there to clean by buildings.

/ Toolcat questions #7  
Turbo36
I did have a JD 3720 cabbed CUT just like you. In almost every instance I prefer my TC 5610 over the 3720 after owing both. The major downside is the cost of all the cool front attachments.:D Tiller, mower, trencher, tree shear, snow blade......

/ Toolcat questions #8  
I need some help with my 2003 Toolcat. It will work fine for about an hour and a half, then the rear differential starts dragging. It will work again if it cools off. I have replaced filters, fluid, coils. Also, the rear steer has problems. it will turn one way, but not the other. If I jack it up, it will turn both ways fine. I have changed the coil and stem and also added an extra cooling fan. Nothing seems to work. Can anyone help me?