Tooth bar

/ Tooth bar #21  
Similar to that video, I made my own.
Never comes off as it is so handy in my stone infested soil.
I dig, rake and load with it. Poor little CUT thinks it is a skid steer.

Downside is back dragging for finish but I welded an angle to the bucked 'heel' and use that very effectively.
For light smoothing I backdrag in float and for compacting I use light down pressure at a slight bucket 'up tilt', like enough to not quite to raise the front wheels.

Like about 5 years (300 hrs) of usage like this, I would guess, without any adverse effects..

Back dragging with toothed bucket near vertical makes a great root rake.

/ Tooth bar #23  
Do they interfere at all with loading gravel, dirt, or road base?
Nope for gravel, dirt but have not tried road base.

I think my 10' backhoe would do that easier & quicker than my front bucket with a tooth bar.
I'm sure CMV would appreciate your donation of a 10' backhoe.

/ Tooth bar #26  
I think my 10' backhoe would do that easier & quicker than my front bucket with a tooth bar.

I'm sure it would but not all of us have or need to own one, I would never get my $ back out of it.

And 10', as ***** would say ' HUGE " lol

/ Tooth bar #27  
I'm sure it would but not all of us have or need to own one, I would never get my $ back out of it.

And 10', as ***** would say ' HUGE " lol

I love having a hoe and use it for all kinds of things besides digging (the thumb helps with versatility, of course). So far as paying for itself, I have installed a complete septic system with the one on my B21 and I am now replacing the root-bound leach field in my new home with the one on my G3038, more than paying for the price of the hoe.

/ Tooth bar #28  
I dont want to pull this tread to far off topic but why does everything have to "pay for itself" or "get its money worth". Why cant it just be for the added value to your life? All my purchases now are based on how much value is it adding to my life because the true cost of anything is how much of your life you are willing to trade for it. ****, seems most people have no problem paying $50-100k+ for a boat or RV....

Most people will justify buying tools based on how much it cost someone else to do the job or how much it cost to rent said tool or how much they will use it. I used to think this same way, but a few years back I met a guy who had cut his finger off while using a borrowed table saw because he didn't want to buy a new one at the time. It completely changed his life, his line of work, etc... and this could have all been avoided by spending the extra buck (which he had) on a saw stop which he said he had previously contemplated buying. His medical bills cost more then the saw would have cost him, but as many of us do, we buy or borrow a tool that "will do the job" and don't think about how the right tool could add value to our life.

Not long after becoming friends with the guy, my wife went bought a couple of large trees to plant around the yard. I wasn't going to go rent or buy a backhoe to plant a couple trees, so I dug the holes by hand in my concrete like ground with a digging bar, pick and shovel which was very hard work (I had a tractor and post hole auger at the time but it was useless on my ground). Every time I would plant a couple trees, I would tell my friend with the sawed off finger how hard it was and how sore I was. His response was pretty much always the same... "you should buy yourself one of those tractors with a backhoe, one of these days your going to wish you did". Well 4 years later I ended up planting more than 50 trees and shrubs by hand, one day I was digging a hole for another tree and something in my back popped, that was it, I was done. Took me all summer to recover and I still have back issues today. I wish I would have spent the money on the tractor I have now, 5 years ago instead of having to deal with a bad back. At this point I don't care how much I use my tractor/hoe, just knowing that its sitting in my garage, ready for when I need it is worth it to me.

/ Tooth bar #29  
jdom84, I am with you 100%! :thumbsup:

Just what I was thinking but didn't take the time to reply like you did.

/ Tooth bar #30  
WOW!! Pics please, I'm trying to picture a 10' backhoe on a BX25 :)

Who said they had a 10' backhoe on a BX?
I am a Ford guy!
I don't even own a can of orange paint.

Obviously, "check" was referring to simply having a backhoe on his BX.
Not.... having a 10' backhoe on his BX.