Torque Wrench Suggestions

/ Torque Wrench Suggestions #32  
And why is that?
The design of the valve. Either the valve is outside/below the drain hole, which would make them highly susceptible to getting broken off or damaged. So none of them are built that way. They put the valve mostly inside the pan, meaning above the drain hole. This make it so all the oil doesn’t or isn’t able to drain out the hole.

Last edited:
   / Torque Wrench Suggestions #33  
If I were giving any specific advice, I'd say that you need to give yourself adequate space to remove and replace the drain plug under the vehicle. Trying to do it from an awkward angle just means you're more likely to mis thread the plug. The car being low to the ground is one difficulty. Another is having to get the air shield out of the way to access the plug.

/ Torque Wrench Suggestions #34  
The design of the valve. Either the valve is outside/below the drain hole, which would make them highly susceptible to getting broken off or damaged. So none of them are built that way. They put the valve mostly inside the pan, meaning above the drain hole. This make it so all the oil doesn’t or isn’t able to drain out the hole.
I can't see this as a big deal. Even if you drain the oil hot, there is going to be a thin film of used oil over the entire engine interior, as well as a few pockets that never drain. I can't get too excited about only getting 98% of the oil out instead of 99%.

/ Torque Wrench Suggestions #35  
I can't see this as a big deal. Even if you drain the oil hot, there is going to be a thin film of used oil over the entire engine interior, as well as a few pockets that never drain. I can't get too excited about only getting 98% of the oil out instead of 99%.
I would rather get almost all of the oil out by letting it drip while I take care of the filters etc, than make sure the drain plug was tightened to 33ft/lbs instead of 36 ft/lbs.

/ Torque Wrench Suggestions #36  
I believe in proper torque. But have never thought it necessary for my 60 years of draining oil on my own cars, tractors or trucks.
Seem like one just has to have a feel for these things. Same goes for many other applications...except for rebuilding and engine maybe.
As I have gotten older now, those big ft lbs torques are hard for me to get a "click" on my torrque wrench. ☹️

Cheers,
Mike

/ Torque Wrench Suggestions #37  
I've got a Honda Hybrid car. Tend to do my oil changes myself as I've had work done before in life and didn't like what they did.

As I'm told, the oil pan is made from aluminum. The drain bolt, isn't. I've had a couple conversations about someone tightening down their drain plug (which has a crush washer) and stripping the oil pan threads.

That strikes me as a terribly inopportune thing to do. Enter idea of torque wrench. I've already got a 1/2" but not sure I need that for this bolt.... besides.... might be a good excuse to add a tool to the box. (I am thinking either 1/4" drive or maybe 3/8)

Not interested in paying $1,000 for one BUT, also not interested in finding one for $12.95 as I'd expect it to break on first use. Who makes a good torque wrench these days? My 1/2" is a clicker type, I like that. I see digital readouts now.... that tells me they have a battery. Batteries can die. Seems clicker style can go out of spec.... so all have some issues.

Thoughts/suggestions?
I have turned wrenches in one form or another for over 40 years. I have 3 click type torque wrenches from Snap On that have served me well. I do not drink the snap on cool aid but my 1/4" dr in/lb wrench and my 1/2" dr ft/lb have stayed accurate and in spec for 40 years. The problem was that the 1/4" was had no parts available so Snap on would NOT even check it. I had to have that tested at another place that was fantastic. My3/8" drive wrench has also stayed in spec but I have only had that for 20 years or so. The most critical thing is to back off the adjustment when finished but not to a hard stop. It is also important to check torque steady and gently. I have seen so many as**es jerk the torque wrench like a breaker bar. The torque wrench is only accurate when you hold the center of the handle also. I believe Snap on torque wrenches are made by CDI but I cannot be sure.

I like some things from Harbor Freight but I would not trust a measuring instrument like this.

Just my 2 cents

/ Torque Wrench Suggestions #38  
The click type can indeed go out of spec. For that reason you should set it back to zero after use to prevent stretching the spring.
I'm guessing you meant set it back to the lowest setting on the tool after use. Most torque wrenches don't go to zero.

/ Torque Wrench Suggestions #39  
I own a cheap Harbor Freight "Pittsburg" torque wrench in a 1/4" drive and a 3/8" drive. I used them extensively when I was working for a solar PV installer. They were accurate well within their stated spec of 4%. (I want to say they were within 1 or 2%, but I may be remembering incorrectly.) They held their accuracy fairly well over a year+ of very regular use. We did not have them officially calibrated very often, but we did check them against a digital torque wrench (which was calibration checked However, they sure felt like cheap junk, and in fact the 1/4" drive unit had the screws back out and the guts fell out. HF replaced them with no hassle at all, but it was an annoyance.

When I bought a 1/2" drive torque wrench, I went for the Icon brand. It's a much more solodly built tool. I'm not really doing precision work with it, so haven't had occasion to have the calibration officially checked, but I have checked it against my digital adapter and with a known weight at a known distance out the handle and it seems to be holding the same settings it had when new. When the 1/4" and 3/8" torque wrenches crap out, I'll replace them with Icon wrenches.

/ Torque Wrench Suggestions #40  
I would get a beam type from tekton if I was replacing. I have a full set of click type protos that are calibrated.
3/8, 1/2 Inch Drive 72-Tooth Split Beam Torque Wrench Set (2-Piece) | TRQ99902 | TEKTON pretty sure they are sourced from CDI just like snap on and other top brands.

Tekton makes great stuff and its a US based company that sources from US, Canada and Taiwan.

Tekton makes great tools at a reasonable price. I have full sets of sockets, their screw drivers are made in US and fantastic. I have one of their large rolling boxes sourced from canada made by Rousou, and they blow any tool truck brand away. built just like a vidmar.