Toyota Tacoma brakes

/ Toyota Tacoma brakes #1  

Rustyiron

Tractor
M 9540 Kubota
Wondering if there are any Tacoma owners out there that may have had this similar condition.
I just got a nice clean 2012 with 45k miles, my first Toyota. During the test drive and half the way home it had what I would call normal braking & pedal "feel". After coming off the highway on the way home from picking it up, and braking for the stop at the end of the ramp, the pedal felt as if it blew a line and had a lot of travel, on the next few "pumps" it felt better with each one. It was raining hard and the pumping works pretty good, so I got it home & in the shop to inspect it the next day when it was dry. No leaks and the brake fluid res. was fine. Reading some of the o/m books, it sounds like the abs controls quite a few braking, traction & handeling functions, leading me to wonder if there is an issue with the abs system. There are no lights, bell's or whistles going off in the truck. I bought it from a nice 72y/o gentleman that was the original owner and user and I think if I get back to him prompty with this issue, he may help with the fix. If I need to get into the abs system, it'll prolly need to be done at a dealer and I could see it getting expensive. On the other hand I don't want to bother him if it's a minor one 1 or 2 hundred dollar problem. Any thoughts?

/ Toyota Tacoma brakes #2  
You say it was raining hard, is there any chance your engine speed died down unusually low? The vehicle is almost certainly equipped with power brakes that are assisted by the engines vacuum. I'm guessing it's an automatic transmission, nobody buys standards anymore except me.
… only mentioning it because the vacuum control aspect is something to consider outside of the normal, check everything mechanical and bleed the lines recommendation you are likely to get.

/ Toyota Tacoma brakes
This happened when I started braking at around 50 MPH, so I would think that there was enough engine rpm's for vac. assist, and yes, a/t. What confuses me is this was not a problem earlier in the day, and having only a few hours of ownership (seat time) I don't have a sence of normal for this truck and everything is new to me.

/ Toyota Tacoma brakes #4  
Congrats on the truck. Thinking out load here, the brakes should just pass through the ABS control module, such that if there was an ABS failure your brakes would work like normal. Now when you get an ABS event,(wheel slip when braking, the ABS is going to tell the trans to unlock the torque converter and back off the throttle. I'm wondering with the rain and the light rear end in the pick up if what you where feeling was the ABS. If everything appears fine now, and if everything is not, I am all wet. To prove my theory, slam the brakes on going down gavel road. On cars and light trucks my knowledge on ABS is slim, all my stuff is to old for ABS.

/ Toyota Tacoma brakes #5  
Sounds like a stuck caliper.

/ Toyota Tacoma brakes #6  
It could've been the ABS working as designed if it detected wheel slip on the wet road.

/ Toyota Tacoma brakes #7  
We have this law up here that requires any vehicle that is changing ownership requires a recent certificate of mechanical fitness signed by a licensed mechanic, brake inspection is one of the primary requirements of that inspection. I'm guessing that is not a common requirement in the USA and beginning to think it is a really good law up here :|

Last edited:
   / Toyota Tacoma brakes
Trials, We need an annual inspection here. I'm due for one next month.
I don't think the abs was activated, it was not a panic stop at all, just slowing for the ramp, and today on dry pavement the brakes are the same (mushy) and have not changed at all. There's no pulling or heat from any "corner" and the truck will drift easy from a stop (caliper's seem to be releasing).

/ Toyota Tacoma brakes
What (kinda) sent me in the ABS system direction of thinking is that the pedal feels similar to actual ABS activation, like on ice or snow in my other vehicles. There is resistance, not much, on the pedal AS it's headed for the firewall, similar to a real ABS event. Again, no lights or warnings on the dash.

/ Toyota Tacoma brakes #10  
Must be same supplier for Nissan Frontier, as mine has ALWAYS acted like that since new ...dealer replaced master cylinder as they thought it might be leaking...but after replacement they "felt" the same...test drove another Nissan vehicle with same FAMILY of brake system and felt the same as my truck- LOUSY brakes- My Altima coupe stops on a dime with great brake feel....