Tracks on a UTV

/ Tracks on a UTV #52  
We are at 95% snow coverage here so our pods are staying on! It actually snowed a bit here today.
This time of year makes it seem crazy that we technically live in the same state; such different climates. Our ground down in the southeast corner is thawed and DRY, grass is trying to turn green but struggling - tomorrow's rains should help. Should get some flowers poking up any day now.

I do still have a small pile of snow in the yard left from the 10' tall igloo I built for my kiddos, haha. But it feels like straight up spring time here.

/ Tracks on a UTV #53  
Here is a shot taken over the weekend, a bit south of us and out of the lake zone. More can be found on the dogs blog. We also have a thread here of snow photos taken in the Keweenaw.

P1090903.jpg

/ Tracks on a UTV #54  
I did get around to pulling the tracks and back to tires, then promptly failed to get up a very mild slope in 4" of "mealey" snow 😆. How quickly one forgets the nature of old snow.
All of my "main" roads are bare here on the property, and it's melting every day in the woods on the lesser trails.

Attachments

• 20210317_155009.jpg
    20210317_155009.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 94
   / Tracks on a UTV #55  
Leaving the pods until they are not needed! In this photo, we drove in snow to get to this point.
Sand pit spring 2010.I.jpg

Last edited:
   / Tracks on a UTV #57  
Arly looking at the drag in your middle picture, out of curiosity has anyone figured out the amount of pull required per foot of width to successfully pull it?
That looks really, REALLY heavy to the point that it's got to be very hard on a UTV.

/ Tracks on a UTV #58  
Arly looking at the drag in your middle picture, out of curiosity has anyone figured out the amount of pull required per foot of width to successfully pull it?
That looks really, REALLY heavy to the point that it's got to be very hard on a UTV.

Drags are indeed HP consumers. The trail Bully 400 I operated and towed 9ft wide drag had nearly 400hp. Funny that some guys here said "it can't need that much!" The drag seen behind the UTV's are about the same width as the pods and that was all they can tow. The Defender has around 80+-hp from its 1000cc power plant..

Last edited:
   / Tracks on a UTV #59  
So when you guys are done with a utv, it's probably like an old workhorse sent to the glue factory. 😆

/ Tracks on a UTV #60  
So when you guys are done with a utv, it's probably like an old workhorse sent to the glue factory. 😆

Yes, we wear all those tow machines out in about 5+- years. This is why we've looked for more HP machines. Grooming snow or running in snow, takes HP.