Tracks on a UTV

/ Tracks on a UTV #62  
How old is the Rhino? How do you find that cab and their ability to run tracks?
The Rhino was a 2009 or 10 and its 700cc engine didn't have the ponies we need for operating in deep snow. We really do receive snow here. The Beaver cab was Ok at best.

/ Tracks on a UTV #63  
Have no experience on ATV's or UTV's. Can you leave tracks on all year long?

/ Tracks on a UTV #64  
I'm kicking around buying tracks for my Gator 855D. I have heard, but no personal experience, that using tracks is tough on the running gear.
For you guys who have had tracks on your UTV for a while (couple years, at least), are they tough on the driveline?

I had tracks on a Ranger 850 for one winter and sold them. If you want to putz they may work, but plan on double the engine speed to get the same mph. They are not easy to install/remove but a helper makes it easier. If I want to putz in the winter, I can do that in the snowmobile for a lot less $$ and hassle. In my case, I had no need to have the carrying ability of a UTV in deep snow or a swamp. So unless you need to carry stuff in deep snow and swamps, I see limited value in them.

I suspect they are hard on the steering components especially if you are running in mud/brush and on roads and trying to make sharp turns.

/ Tracks on a UTV #65  
Have no experience on ATV's or UTV's. Can you leave tracks on all year long?
You can, but I wouldn't. :confused: Its like driving your garden tractor with tracks. Its hard on your lawn, hard your upper body and not all that much fun. So we take pods off ASAP each spring if you intend to use the machine on dry land. Some of our atv's are not used over the summer and they'd of course be left on. Any other questions??

For use in snow, we could get a sled for less $$, but instead own a atv with pods.

More worthless factoids;

Tracks are the rubber, belted things with lugs you install on your snowmobile and other machines. Pods are the entire unit you install as replacement for your wheels.

Most pods gear reduction run 70% of your original speed. Lets say your machine did go 40, so will pods on you'll go about 28.

When in deep, fresh snow, engine HP becomes paramount.

Last edited:
   / Tracks on a UTV #66  
Any more pod questions for there use on your 6x6, atv or utv?? With our snow going down fast, I'm contemplating there removal. :cry:

/ Tracks on a UTV #67  
This is just me. But I'd not even own a UTV or atv, unless it was good for and I got pods for it. Of course I'm into working machines, not play.
bossblows0234.jpg
boss plows509.jpg
boss in snow083.jpg
defworks88.jpg