Traction Traction in Mud

/ Traction in Mud #1  

cmcramer

Tractor
none
Another new owner question?.maybe a tough question to answer? maybe I just need a little hand-holding: I would really like to drive back into my woodlot to haul out some sugar maple bolts for shiitake mushroom cultivation? time sensitive task?.but the é¼*ogging trail is still quite wet. What would tell you more experienced Owners that your L series 4wd FEL Kubota is bogging down to the point where it might get stuck? How deep a tire rut would make you turn back? Would you attempt the trip in 4wd higher gear with lots of throttle, or 4wd lower gear lots of throttle? If I get this beauty stuck?I値l never forgive myself 

Thanks!

/ Traction in Mud #2  
Any time the ground is getting close to the underside of your tractor you are getting close to high centering.
A lot of throttle can work against you if the firm ground under the mud is deeper than your ground clearance. The tires will dig down and get you stuck.
Each muddy area is a little different. Depends on the soil and amount of moisture.

You can feel when the tractor is starting to get stuck. That is the time to back out.

/ Traction in Mud #3  
I would walk the area with a pointed stick and see how easily it pushes in and at what point it stops, if you get anywhere near 10" I would wait for it to dry out. A L series has decent clearance but high centering is going to be a fun job to get unstuck. Are there any hills to deal with? Do you have R-1's or turf tires? that alone will make a HUGE difference in when to stop. turfs will slick over with mud very easily where R-1's will dig till your belly stops.

/ Traction in Mud #4  
If you set up your tractor with duals and wider front tires like this you will never get stuck. If you want to know how I attach the duals I can post more pictures.

I also am better at modifying my tractor than making pictures rotate to the proper orientation. I need to learn how to do that but that is a job for another day.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140728_180254.png
    ForumRunner_20140728_180254.png
    655.9 KB · Views: 421
  • iphone pics 209.jpg
    iphone pics 209.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 964
   / Traction in Mud #5  
CM,
Depending on the amount of mud involved and if you are handy with a chain saw, why not construct what the loggers call a "corduroy road?" Place a series of logs perpendicular to the road so you don't sink in the mud.

Attachments

• Kubota B3030 & Red Oak.jpg
    Kubota B3030 & Red Oak.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 535
   / Traction in Mud #6  
In my case it's easy to be brave when you have a skidding winch (aka "pull me out of this hole" winch) on the back as plan B, but...some tips might be:

Have your differential locked.

Speed is a your friend as it contributes to momentum to get you through a spot, (or deeper into it before you get stuck) but....

The name of the game is to keep your tires "hooked up" to propel your tractor forward, instead of spinning and digging a deeper hole under it. The idea is to keep tire speed matched with forward tractor speed (i.e. keeping the "ground" under your tires stationary and the tractor mobile) and only applying as much torque as the soil can take.

Soil (mud) can only hold so much force/area (pound/sq. ft) and remain stationary to propel the tire forward before it gives way and gets shot out the back as your tires dig a hole and you are no longer going forward. The key is to find this balance of speed and torque being applied to the soil to keep your tires hooked up as much as possible. Backing off the throttle and reducing speed/torque to keep the tires hooked up can sometimes help. But then you can run out of momentum and power. Catch 22.

When to turn back?: About 15' before you realize you should of.

Well, that's my 2 cents anyways. Easier said than done.

/ Traction in Mud
Very interesting and helpful responses - thanks.
No hills. Just two, scary. 50 foot wet holes in a 1/4 mile trail.
Yep, I have Ag tires.
And no, a log road is not practical for my situation...but a good idea.
Engage differential lock- great tip.
CobyRupert - excellent analysis...I'm still visualizing and thinkin'....seems to me that erring on the speed side over the torque side is the way to go.
Good couple of drying days here in Upstate NY...so maybe this weekend....If I get the nerve.

/ Traction in Mud #8  
If you keep moving you won't get stuck.

:)

Bruce

/ Traction in Mud #9  
The good news is you said it is mostly flat. That will go a long way in preventing you getting trapped at the bottom of a hill. When you are going forward and if the tires start to spin, use your bucket to push yourself backward out of the slop. When you regain your footing, go home and wait for drier conditions. If the bucket won't find bottom get something to throw down under it to push against. You have got to get those front wheel anchors up out of the mud. Again if you escape, go home.