Traction Traction in Mud

/ Traction in Mud
So, the differential pedal is supposed to 'lock' in the down position? I was in 4wd, high range, 1st gear with throttle at PTO speed......traveling straight on flat ground.....differential pedal depressed, but sure did not stay down. Did I engage it incorrectly?

/ Traction in Mud #12  
Some tractors are designed so that to keep the differential lock engaged you need to keep you foot on the diff lock pedal. Others are designed so that a short tap on one brake pedal will disengage the diff lock.

/ Traction in Mud #13  
One thing for sure;you are going to make a big mess.We are just north of you in St.Lawrence co. and are staying out of the woods with our tractors.
I took a ride today on my Rhino,the higher ground was ok for that but would have made a real mess with either tractor.
You should have done your work when the ground was still frozen;then again you probably had too much snow..........If you venture out;make provisions to be rescued.

/ Traction in Mud #14  
Two times to to never get stuck! Just before lunch and just before quitting time.

/ Traction in Mud #15  
Some say to use 2 wheel drive until you get stuck and then you have 4WD to get you out, then if that doesn't work you have the differential lock as a third option. If you have a front end loader or backhoe that is your last option to push you out. I have been to that point a few times and still managed to get out on my own.

/ Traction in Mud #16  
If you had some of these, mud would be fun

W-400187-1.jpg

/ Traction in Mud #17  
So, the differential pedal is supposed to 'lock' in the down position? I was in 4wd, high range, 1st gear with throttle at PTO speed......traveling straight on flat ground.....differential pedal depressed, but sure did not stay down. Did I engage it incorrectly?

The pedal doesn't lock down on all models But the pin that locks the diff usually remains in position until the diff lock load is released. (such as when taping the brakes)

/ Traction in Mud #19  
Looks almost like they are hinged to be able to fold them in toward the rim when not needed. Looks like if that's the case it'd be like one heckuva set of "James Bond" spikes.

/ Traction in Mud #20  
My experience, if the front tires sink in half way...to axle...then that's too far. The ruts make a barrier that is too high to climb over. Might be a good time to brush up on using the FEL to walk out of a stuck situation. Or, to invest in a winch. I assume you have sufficient chains/tow straps already. Warning...the more times you successfully get in and out the worse the ruts get and the greater risk of getting stuck the next time in. If you haven't found a buddy with a tractor to come watch the fun...might be a good time to find one!

Let us know how it goes! Consider it educational...worst case, leave it there until it is dry then drive it out...