Tractor Causing Stress on Neck

/ Tractor Causing Stress on Neck #61  
I do have to quibble a bit with the title...its not the tractor causing neck pain, it's all the looking back. :)

/ Tractor Causing Stress on Neck #62  
As for out front mowing... I've had a PowerTrac PT425 for 22 years. I have a 60" finish mower and a 48" brush cutter. They are all out front, where they belong. PowerTrac makes larger units.

Here's a link to a 20 year old grainy video of me brush cutting a field in the fall.

• Good Post
Reactions: jmc
   / Tractor Causing Stress on Neck #63  
And dealing with a honeysuckle bush... it's gone. No looking back.

/ Tractor Causing Stress on Neck #64  
Last one... another grainy 20 year old video of dealing with a multiflora rose bush.

Out front. Never look back. (y)

/ Tractor Causing Stress on Neck #65  
Made in America.

/ Tractor Causing Stress on Neck #66  
Nah, too practical. Spend $100,000 on a compact track loader and another $30-40,000 on a mulcher attachment.

/ Tractor Causing Stress on Neck #68  
Getting back to business, I wonder if the OP isn't torn between a strong desire to want to maintain his 40 acres himself versus a serious concern for his own health?

/ Tractor Causing Stress on Neck #69  
Reading original post I think the problem is "I found myself turning my neck way too much trying to keep the cutter in line with the last pass so as to not leave anything uncut."
Well...don't do that! Just like removing spoon from coffee cup helps your eyes I never look back bush hogging. After the first pass if there's a problem just cut slower, increase pto speed, sharpen blades, change your cutting path, etc.
Either that or pay someone to do it.
I'm happy cutting 95% of it, don't worry about the other 6%!

/ Tractor Causing Stress on Neck #70  
Looking for suggestions, if there are any. I've had 2 tractors in the past, both of them are gone now. I am contemplating my next purchase, but I fear there is no good solution. 1st tractor had a 6 foot brush hog and I found myself turning my neck way too much trying to keep the cutter in line with the last pass so as to not leave anything uncut. 2nd tractor was much larger with a 12 foot flex wing. I had mirrors on that tractor which helped, unless I got too close to the trees and it would knock the mirrors out of whack - so that didn't help much.

4 years ago I had neck surgery, so I've got a fusion already on 2 vertebrae in my neck. I'm not willing to stress my neck just so I can keep my fields cut. I already have them cut for hay twice a year, so the only time I really have to brush hog is once during the year after the 1st frost. I have hired out someone to cut in the past, but it costs me at least $1K every time, and that's if I can find someone to do it.

Ideally, it would be nice to have a setup where the cutter is on the front instead of in the back but I don't know of any US tractors that have a front mounted PTO. The other option is a skid steer, which would be nice, but they are extremely expensive as are the cutter attachments.

We are new to the farming community and I've talked to alot of the farmers around here and was surprised to learn many of the older ones have neck and back issues. I don't want to be another statistic, so I either need to find something that cuts in the front or pay someone to do it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Better mirrors.