Tractor hours - why so low?

/ Tractor hours - why so low? #42  
As a "for instance", I use my trusty old MF150 to take care of my 45 acres. I cut hay off more than 20 acres, bush hog, work 2 big gardens, push snow, mow grass around the house, ect, and just BARELY accounted for 70 hours of use last year.
[/ quote]
That's a lot of work for 70 Hours.

Are you suggesting that what FWJ is saying is incorrect??? Being knowledgeable about a work tractor.....and owning three toy tractors are not synonymous.

/ Tractor hours - why so low? #43  
Man.. I heard that. Best thing I ever did on my farm was upgrade from a 'work-you-to-death' 5' mower to the larger 10'/15' mowers I use today..

soundguy

Advantages of not using a toy tractor. You can actually get a fair amount of work done in an hour with a full sized tractor. .

/ Tractor hours - why so low? #44  
As for the tractors you're seeing, it's entirely possible to find older units with legitimately limited hours on the meter. But, the hourmeter should not be your sole guide. Look the machine over......has it been repainted?.........lots of replacement parts that don't match.......brand new looking seat but a steering wheel/levers that look like they've seen a lot of sun..........etc. just for beginnings.

Check for any leaks a tractor may have and see if there are any matching stains where it's parked? Check a tractor out completely before you buy it.....if w/FEL work it through.....hook up to a 3-pt implement and spin/lift it to see what it does. A legit dealer or seller should allow these things for you if they are confident of the rig. If they refuse or make excuses then it's best to walk.

/ Tractor hours - why so low? #45  
As for the tractors you're seeing, it's entirely possible to find older units with legitimately limited hours on the meter. But, the hourmeter should not be your sole guide. Look the machine over......has it been repainted?.........lots of replacement parts that don't match.......brand new looking seat but a steering wheel/levers that look like they've seen a lot of sun..........etc. just for beginnings.

Check for any leaks a tractor may have and see if there are any matching stains where it's parked? Check a tractor out completely before you buy it.....if w/FEL work it through.....hook up to a 3-pt implement and spin/lift it to see what it does. A legit dealer or seller should allow these things for you if they are confident of the rig. If they refuse or make excuses then it's best to walk.

These are good points, a well maintained machine with higher hours can be a better machine than a poorly maintained machine with low hours. For example, the first filter and fluid change is critical on a machine. Not something you want to hold off on doing.

I bought my used machine with 150 hours on the meter, she was 3-1/2 or so years old. First question I had was, had he done the 50 hour service he said yes, then he honestly said he'd not done a service since, with 100 hours since the 50 I was comfortable, purchased and imediately did a complete fluid and filter change (all but fuel filter, which I'll do this month).

Maintenance is key on these machines.

Good luck, how is the search going?

Joel

/ Tractor hours - why so low? #46  
You can never know what you might find.

I got my 8n knowing full well that it didn't crank or run well. I picked it up for a pittance after looking it over and found it a tight little rig with no leaks and in good condition otherwise. It went to the shop immediately after and had an engine rebuild, repaint, along with new PTO assembly all for about the price of a nice 8n/NAA/MF TO-20 off the web. I just knew what I was looking at and what it was going to cost to get it going. That's the key to anything......be it tractors or cars or microscopes.

That little 8n may now be my meal ticket several years on now seeing how things go.....:)

/ Tractor hours - why so low? #47  
Advantages of not using a toy tractor. You can actually get a fair amount of work done in an hour with a full sized tractor. Combine that with the fact I'm not trying hard to justify spending time on a tractor just for the sake of spending time. I've got enough time in over the years where I'm looking to get done, not spend time playing.

That's the very reason I upgraded to a 6' RFM from a 5' RFM and upgraded tractors from 20 to 28 HP. Cut down on my mowing time considerably.

/ Tractor hours - why so low? #48  
hope u can help looking to sell old farm equipment been sitting on my grandparents land for several years also have sheets of old steel from a old barn that that wood be good for furniture or bars you now the **** you kick your boots while at the bar. any help is great point me in the right direction email Sridog@aol.com thanks

/ Tractor hours - why so low? #49  
Well, here's my view on this..My late dad told me that if you have to borrow or rent it more than twice, just go buy it. I have followed that advice to the absurdity (my 40x48 pole building is packed with tools).Thanks Dad!!!

I love the fact that my BX can do anything I need at any given time..Fast, no. But it does it. For instance, if a neighbor needs a hole dug for a tree or a dog that passed away, I can help. Same goes for me. I love being somewhat self sufficient. I maintain a 600 foot road for me and the neighbor I have back here...Would be rakes and wheelbarrows otherwise.

Once you swallow the price, it's great to know that anything you want to attack on the weekend is sitting in the garage, without having to deal with abused rental equipment!!!

Just bought a toothbar...Landscaping is coming up as soon as I can put a hurtin on some of my vacation time.:D:D:D

/ Tractor hours - why so low? #50  
I've had my tractor for just over a year and it has 142 hours on it. The time seems to click away, but when I think about it I sure have done a boat load of work. Very pleased with it and will probably double the hours for next year.