Tractor HP

/ Tractor HP #21  
I'd like a 2019R JD, but they don't make them. Had a 2019E in the 4010. Was enough. Now have a 2025R: too much hp.

Not sure but Kubota may be the only ones with 3 range HST. My next tractor will be a B2301 unless JD brings back the steering brakes.
they all make a 3 range hst. at least one has a 4 range.

/ Tractor HP
You will loose some lift capacity with QA, usually a few hundred lbs. Third function is interesting, personally I prefer electronic and a dedicated hydraulic line as opposed to plumbing it into one of the rear remotes or the FEL curl. Hydraulic top should be no difference in cost, it is an add on no matter what. I have it on mine, and yes it is great if you have a use for it. I use it with a rear blade. For 6 acres the B seems like a good match.

L is a pretty big jump up in size, just make sure you are ready for it!

I have a good bit of time on 4 machines. JD 750, B7610, BX24 and a T770 skid. Nothing in between that would compare to an L series. My gut tells me I would appreciate the weight, but I'm not sure how to actually try one other than at the dealer, which barely counts.

/ Tractor HP
they all make a 3 range hst. at least one has a 4 range.

JD doesn't have it below the 4 series. I do really like the 4044M.....

/ Tractor HP #24  
I have had 3 orange and currently have 3 green and 1 old red IH. My green starts at 65 PTO, so I will talk about the orange. I classify the orange by their width, not HP, so in my list I have two groups: 5 footers and 6 footer. Width also influences the bucket and shredder width, as well as FEL lift capability and overall stability.

L2350, 1992, 5 footer. Great little tractor. No FEL, light weight, gear transmission, shredder, box blade. Simple as could be. Sold with maybe 5,000 hours but the tachometer/hour meter broke at least twice so hours is a guess. Would overheat when shredding heavier stuff because radiator was too small.

L3800, 2012?, 5 footer. Had an FEL, HST transmission, 5 foot shredder. I hated this tractor, so I sold it with 100 hours. I did almost no mowing with it. It felt very front heavy and top heavy but that may because of the FEL weight, otherwise I considered it an update to the L2350 in design. FEL was strong. The transmission screamed loudly when asked to work hard - drove me crazy. I even replaced the transmission oil with some very expensive Kubota oil but that was very little improvement. It has no traveling or pullling power. I have flat ground but used M(edium) range all the time instead of H(igh) almost all the time because of the lack of power. I truly wished it had the gear transmission (shuttle shift).

L3710, 2002, 6 footer. Has an FEL, GST transmission, 6 foot shredder. I LOVE this tractor and the transmission. Even with 37 hp compared to the 38 hp described above, it has all the power I want. The frame size works so much better and feels so stable compared to the L3800, it is hard to believe. It has much more usable hp than the L3800. This is basically the same tractor as L4400, L4600, etc.

If you want to compare transmissions, my advice would be: get GST if it is offered - it is as efficient as geared. Second choice would be geared - they may call this shuttle shift. Dead last would be HST because it robs so much power and screams - to the point that it became like nails on a chalkboard to me.

/ Tractor HP #25  
I'm struggling with a decision on HP. Currently I have a Kubota B7610 and have put 200 hours on it over the last couple years. Looking to replace it. It has been immensely helpful for projects from planting grass to building a pole barn. I have 6 acres, mostly wooded, and have yet to use the PTO for anything. The most non jerry rigged implement I have is my york rake. My driveway is 1000 feet long, currently still only #3 gravel from construction days. I'll be putting down 4 or 5 trucks of 21a and buying a box blade and maybe a landplane.

That said, I don't see any new big projects on my property. It will be used 50% for driveway maintenance and 50% for random tasks. Carrying things, some grapple work to clean up my woods, ect. I'll have a grapple and forks. I know I want 3rd function on the front and triple rear remotes. I had been leaning toward the L3901. I do have some concerns with the long-term reliability of the emission stuff, and I don't know if the extra power would benefit me, over the L2501. I am not set on Orange, but in its class, I like the 3 speed hydro and skid steer QA. Thoughts??

The image is of my plywood lift rig. I also wriggled a super long boom for setting posts, trusses, and lifting shingles.
I have B2620 and love it for small things around the house and yard. But for doing any kind of heavy work, my old IH Utility tractor is much more useful. Its very stable and weighs around 5500 lbs and will do just about anything I need to have done. For a bit more than the amount of sales tax on a new Kubota, you could buy a real tractor with 3pt for the heavy stuff. And keep your current tractor. Worth considering, and you can just about always get your money back out of one of these - they are fully depreciated.

/ Tractor HP
I actually looked at the LX2610SU today. I really liked it. More or less what I have now, but with the extra goodies I want, and its shiny at a decent price point:) The L series was nice, but I would mostly be ruling out taking it through my woods. I do have concerns with weight, same as I do with mine, but I believe I could keep my driveway maintained sufficiently with it. I don't like the new treadle peddle style, but expect it would be a short learning curve over my current treadle design.

/ Tractor HP #27  
I'm struggling with a decision on HP. Currently I have a Kubota B7610 and have put 200 hours on it over the last couple years. Looking to replace it. It has been immensely helpful for projects from planting grass to building a pole barn. I have 6 acres, mostly wooded, and have yet to use the PTO for anything. The most non jerry rigged implement I have is my york rake. My driveway is 1000 feet long, currently still only #3 gravel from construction days. I'll be putting down 4 or 5 trucks of 21a and buying a box blade and maybe a landplane.

That said, I don't see any new big projects on my property. It will be used 50% for driveway maintenance and 50% for random tasks. Carrying things, some grapple work to clean up my woods, ect. I'll have a grapple and forks. I know I want 3rd function on the front and triple rear remotes. I had been leaning toward the L3901. I do have some concerns with the long-term reliability of the emission stuff, and I don't know if the extra power would benefit me, over the L2501. I am not set on Orange, but in its class, I like the 3 speed hydro and skid steer QA. Thoughts??

The image is of my plywood lift rig. I also wriggled a super long boom for setting posts, trusses, and lifting shingles.
There are two limiting factors as it pertains to a tractors ability to do work.....horsepower and weight......in the world of tractors, weight = work...the more weight you have, the more work you can do.....theoretically, you only need enough horsepower to utilize the weight of the machine, because any more will generally only cause wheelspin, which renders a machine useless.
For example, you could put a 1000 horsepower motor on a tractor chassis weighing 3500 lbs.......but that big motor will not enable that tractor to do any more work than a 40 hp motor, because of the weight of the tractor.....yes you can cut grass a little faster, but other than that, tons of hp is not nearly as useful as more weight.....so, in my opinion, unless you move up to a significantly heavier machine, regardless of hp, your ability to do work will still be limited....if you move up to a tractor that weighs around 3000 lbs, then your ability to do work will increase quite a bit...other brands besides kubota tend to be heavier tractors.....don't get hung up on Kubota.....they are lightweight tractors meant for lightweight work .....mahindra and new holland are good tractors and are generally heavier and built better......

/ Tractor HP
I almost bought an LX2610su. A somewhat local dealer and I worked out a price for one he had in crate before mentioning which tires it came with. Going over the details I told him I wanted R4 tires. He said the tractor was ordered with turf and the dealers owner was requiring him to sell it with what they had in stock for it. It's an SU without mid PTO paired with turf. I know some want it that way, but seems a strange configuration to keep in stock. Left a bad taste for the dealer, though things are selling well right now so I guess they don't care about losing a customer.

/ Tractor HP #29  
I would not go smaller than my 3038e on 10 acres. But if I go any larger frame size it would be completely useless as a lawn mower and garden tractor.
Mostly depends what you are doing with it.

But at 2200ft asl, Turbos make all the difference.