Tractor idling

/ Tractor idling #61  
That would be a nice setup. There were a few around in the 70's and 80's on various engines. Also some people used an accusump system to cover oil pressure drops while running and would use some for after oiling and shut it off and save a shot for pre-oiling.
Pre and post oiling system were used a lot on large stationary engines in gas plants and refineries.

/ Tractor idling #62  
Mine is a Tier 4 era, but under the HP cutoff. It's a Mitsubishi S3L2 engine.
Good point. Engines can be under the HP cutoff limit and be exempt from emissions equipment - although not from all emissions regulation. But anyway, much less of a problem, expense, and complexity. I like that approach.

Or like our member above with the big Massey Ferguson. His big tractor is way over the HP cutoff but it uses recirculation exhaust through a diesel exhaust catalyst... that is a whole different system than burning the soot off through regeneration. No telling how it idles.

There are options, and will be more. Bet on it.

/ Tractor idling #63  
Good point. Engines can be under the HP cutoff limit and be exempt from emissions equipment - although not from all emissions regulation. But anyway, much less of a problem, expense, and complexity. I like that approach.

Or like our member above with the big Massey Ferguson. His big tractor is way over the HP cutoff but it uses recirculation exhaust through a diesel exhaust catalyst... that is a whole different system than burning the soot off through regeneration. No telling how it idles.

There are options, and will be more. Bet on it.
Mahindra also uses DOC. My thoughts are just remove it and a blocker plate for the EGR When warranty runs out totally remove the EGR. Just like the early 2000's diesel delete days.

/ Tractor idling #64  
Maybe so ? I'll have to experiment a bit to find out. Seems to me I may be running excessive rpms (higher fuel consumption) than needed if the dam thing is just counting time not particulate build up.
My Kioti CK 3520 has pressure sensors up/down stream of the DPF filter. My understanding is that regen is based on the amount of differential pressure across the filter (i.e., how clogged it has become), rather than time. This is likely why different owners can have very different time intervals between regen events (30 hrs., 65 hrs., etc.)

/ Tractor idling #65  
My understanding is that regen is based on the amount of differential pressure across the filter (i.e., how clogged it has become), rather than time.
It seems like some engines have a combination of both. They'll do a regen based on time no matter what, but when the right (wrong?) parameters come up before the time based regen happens, they'll react to that.

In the pickup world, those who use their diesels as intended (pull somewhat heavy loads, don't make short trips, and don't idle much) generally never even know that the regens happen. That includes myself, but I now have a way to tell if a Cummins regens every 24 hours as I've been told. Time will tell.

Anyway, I would imagine that tractor diesels would react the same way. If it doesn't get worked it's not as happy as it could be, and has to regen accordingly.

/ Tractor idling #66  
Hi all,
I was wondering what is the norm for letting my Kioti 3 cylinder diesel idle between using and then doing some hand work, say for 5 to 10 minutes. Would you shut it down or let it idle? Thanks as always for the expert advice!👍🏻View attachment 807535
Any engine just needs to get the oil up to pressure before work but they also need to get to operating temperature as soon as possible so it has to be a compromise. The engine also needs to calm before stopping, especially if has a turbo, I feel a good rule of thumb is to treat your machine how you would like to be treated and then you won't go far wrong.

/ Tractor idling #67  
Hi all,
I was wondering what is the norm for letting my Kioti 3 cylinder diesel idle between using and then doing some hand work, say for 5 to 10 minutes. Would you shut it down or let it idle? Thanks as always for the expert advice!👍🏻View attachment 807535
it's a diesel,it can run indefinitely, you just have to shut it down for your maintenance services

/ Tractor idling #68  
If I need to get off the tractor to perform a small task 10 minutes or so, I let my tractor idle at 2500 numbers per minute for proper DPF health.

/ Tractor idling #69  
I wonder about construction equipment that has dpf but also "auto idle" seems like manufacturers wouldn't add or advertise this feature I'd it was bad for the machine?

My excavator idles down when you don't use the controls for a while or lift up the safety armrest.

/ Tractor idling #70  
An old fella here cranks his truck when he goes to work and kills it at eight in the evening when he gets home. Truck idles all day. If he's at the office, out there idling. If he's on an oil well location, out there idling. All day six days a week. Sells his trucks at 500,000 miles. Still see that truck around town. All I know about the new pollution engines is to stay away. We had a 100 HP tracked skid steer that was at the shop more than we used it. Of course, they expected them payments to still come in on time. I remember it snowed 18 inches, which is a federal disaster here. One skid steer went into limp mode. Other one threw a metal cleat out of the track, nothing but rubber holding it. Johnny dear would not crank because of some type of injection pump timing sensor thing. We had 3,000 momma cows to feed. 30 miles one way to some of them. We had a 100 HP Kubota cab tractor that ran two feed mixer buggies. I used that broke track skid steer gently to feed cattle at the far pasture. I had to put out 15 round bales each day. It was long gone the next day. Plus I put two pallets of mineral tubs in the barn. I put out a pallet of feed each night in concrete troughs. I'd put about 20 bales on trailer. Back skid steer up ramps. Leave loader up so I could flip ramps over, then let loader down. Go see the cows. You know, a fella must have a lot of faith in me to trust me with that much of his investment. Newish Dodge 4 door 4x4, at least a 30' gooseneck, pretty kinda new skid steer, his insurance. On that snow hauling all that every day. Everyone else was worried about getting their vehicle up the road and here I'd come blasting through, fully loaded.