Tractor Restorations

/ Tractor Restorations #1  

MasseyWV

Elite Member
Tractor
When restoring old tractors, how far do you go? I know it depends on many factors, but...

Do you completely disassemble the tractor, removing every nut, bolt, and screw? Or do you do something in between? Obviously a new coat of paint is part of the process but what about sandblasting, gaskets and seals, clutches, engine rebuild, wiring, tires, rims, etc...?

When I see a tractor advertised as being "restored", I can't help but ask myself just how far did they really go? Unless they have proof, how can one every really know, until it's too late? This is why I plan to do my own restoration, so I can be certain it was done right, but can't help but wonder how far I want to go when the time comes.

/ Tractor Restorations #2  
Do whatever you want. Just remember, you won't make money at it. I have over 4K in a 1948 Farmall H. Nice tractor, I did the work myself, but it will never be worth 4K.

/ Tractor Restorations #3  
Bingo! Some people have way too much into some of these things. That, and the paint jobs were never that good from the factory. That being said, I can certainly appreciate how easy it would be to get carried away. You have to decide how much you like the tractor. If you're doing it to re-sell, you better find a rare one. Farmall H's are a dime a dozen. To have 6 grand into a $2500 tractor has to be a labor of love.

/ Tractor Restorations
It will definitely be a labor of love and I have no plans to try to make money since it will be for my personal use. That said, setting limits and resisting the temptation to spend too much money will probably be a challenge.

At the very least, I'm thinking...

1. Sandblasting
2. Paint (tins wet sanded & polished)
3. Seals
4. Gaskets (where needed)
5. Clutches
6. Engine Overhaul (partial?)
7. Misc Parts (as needed)

I also think it would be a good idea to remove all the tires from the rims so they can be sandblasted and painted, inside and out.

/ Tractor Restorations #5  
different things for different people and machines.

when i drag a machine home I evaluate it's mechanical condition.

at a minimum, it gets an inspection, and anything broken or worn out replaced.

anything leaking gets fixed.

those last 2 steps generally lead to some seal and gasket repalcements.

if I take soemthing apart that has cheap wear items.. i usually repalce them just becuase the labor has already been done.

I don't automatically repalce clutches or brakes if they are not badly worn... UNLESS I plan on workign the tractor, then.. might as well do so all at once. For a limite duse machine.. if you pop it open to clean and adjsut brakes.. and it's 60 ys old and has half it's brakes left.. it's gonna be fine for running around a farm and a parade or two for the next 20-30 years.. same with the clutch.

if tires are mismatched or bad.. I usually replace with better good/used ones out of my stash that I collect over the years from auctions and craigs list.. or if needed.. buy new.

after the mechanicals are good.. steering tight.. starting good.. charging, etc.. etc..

then start cleaning.. then repair body work.. then painting.. etc.

how much work you do depends on:

what condition it is presently in

what you plan on doing with it

what your skills and budget are

while rare.. i have found machines that were pristine, low hour and original.. they just needed theor original paint buffed, and spruced up and a fluid service, and then they look 95% as when they were purchased. about 1 out of 20-30 times you get lucky like that.... for every one of those you find, you also find a half dozen that will require full teardown, and cost 4x what you paid just to get them back to bing a decent machine.. original or not.. not to mention weeks worth of hours invested... and a junkyard full of spare parts, and a refridgerator box full of wear items, seals and gaskets... BTDT too.

i probably only own 2-3 machines out of the couple dozen I own, that i could actually sell for a profit or break even, after having worked on them...

soundguy

/ Tractor Restorations
I don't automatically repalce clutches or brakes if they are not badly worn... UNLESS I plan on workign the tractor, then.. might as well do so all at once.

This is my thinking. Since I plan to work the tractor I may as well replace them while I have it apart, especially the brakes because nearly all of my property is sloped to various degrees and I want to be certain the brakes work properly.

In addition, I plan to eventually add a ROPS and seatbelt, for added safety.

what your skills and budget are

I've been working on machinery of various types all my life, restored several vehicles, and have overhauled many engines. I just don't have much experience with tractors, although I am about to learn, the hard way.

My budget will more than likely be whatever it takes to complete the project, within reason. My plan is to work the tractor (after purchase) for about a year so I can better evaluate it's true condition while stockpiling all the parts I'll need. A winter project perhaps.

/ Tractor Restorations #7  
When restoring old tractors, how far do you go? I know it depends on many factors, but...

Do you completely disassemble the tractor, removing every nut, bolt, and screw? Or do you do something in between? Obviously a new coat of paint is part of the process but what about sandblasting, gaskets and seals, clutches, engine rebuild, wiring, tires, rims, etc...?

When I see a tractor advertised as being "restored", I can't help but ask myself just how far did they really go? Unless they have proof, how can one every really know, until it's too late? This is why I plan to do my own restoration, so I can be certain it was done right, but can't help but wonder how far I want to go when the time comes.

There are levels of restoration:

-Complete restoration--means complete disassembly, replace worn/broken parts, replace leaking seals, possible engine rebuild if compression is less than 80% of spec, semi-professsional to professional repainting, new authentic decals and gauges, new seat, steering wheel. I'm doing one of these on a 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF tractor

MM-BF-before.JPGMM-BF dissassembly.JPGMM-BF gantry.JPG

- Partial restoration -- partial disassembly to replace worn/broken parts, limited engine rebuild (replace valves, guides, pistons, rings, rods, rod bearings, camshaft bearings without removing the engine block from the tractor), repair/replace bolt-on engine parts (carb, water pump, air cleaning system, generator/alternator, etc), repaint, decals, possible new seat/steering wheel.

- Rattle can restoration -- powerwash the entire tractor, service the tractor (fluids, engine tuneup including carburetor rebuild if needed), repaint with rattle can primer/colored paint.

/ Tractor Restorations #8  
WV

Since you are new to tractors and on a limited budget what to you expect to spend on 1)purchase 2) resto/rebuild it takes money to do what you are planning. my advice buy a running tractor use it to complete all your major tasks THEN do a rresto-mod as needed..old ugly tractors will work more than parade queens

You are looking at 1500-3500 to due a quality rebuild/restore without replacing tires or serious engine work

just dont want you to think tractors are cheap projects.

/ Tractor Restorations
Complete restoration--means complete disassembly, replace worn/broken parts, replace leaking seals, possible engine rebuild if compression is less than 80% of spec, semi-professsional to professional repainting, new authentic decals and gauges, new seat, steering wheel.

This description closely matches what I have in mind so it looks like I'll be doing a complete, or near complete restoration when the time comes.

Since you are new to tractors and on a limited budget what to you expect to spend on 1)purchase 2) resto/rebuild it takes money to do what you are planning. my advice buy a running tractor use it to complete all your major tasks THEN do a rresto-mod as needed..old ugly tractors will work more than parade queens

My plan is to purchase a Massey 135 in reasonable running condition, with good tires and rims, for approximately $2000-$4000 then spend approximately $2000 on the restoration. I will use the tractor to complete my immediate projects then begin the restoration at a later date. This will also give me the opportunity to evaluate it and clean any grease or oil that has accumulated over the years.

By capping my total spending at around $6000, my hope is that I could at least come close to breaking even if the need or desire ever arose to sell it. That's not counting my time of course.

/ Tractor Restorations #10  

What are your objectives for the tractor?

Do you want a working machine? If so, then it should be reliable and perform the intended tasks.

If you want to show it, then appearance is very limportant.

If it's something to occupy your time like a hobby, you can do a complete restoration if you have enough money. Take down the tractor component parts , measure the wear points and compare to the spec and renew when applicable. It won't add much value to a potential buyer but if it keeps you happy, that's your intangible benefit.

May so called "restorations" are a clean up, a paint job, and good tires plus a tune up. A new looking shiny tractor sells better then one that looks like it was rode hard and put up wet. It won't necesarily work any better.

So I'd say "restoration" is defined by you and your intentions.