Tractor split - the Insides

/ Tractor split - the Insides
Hey, thanks for all the ideas. Sorry for the confusion... I actually created different posts for the different stages of the total project and put the 'Tractor Split' on the front so people could go right to that stage if they were also doing the job.

This post is about the actual insides repair.

I'm about to start cleaning up the bell housing side and engine side and then disassembling both sides.

Those splines are dry and rusty looking. Service manual say 'use a light coat of molybedenum heat-proof grease' when reassembling so I will. But remember, the splines live inside the clutch and the dryness says the clutch is staying pretty dry even with the hydraulic leak has fluid in the bell housing. We will see what the clutch looks like when I get it off. I'm replacing the clutch and throwout bearing anyway, since I'm in there.

Thanks again!

Now on the bell housing pictures... I wish I knew exactly where the hydraulic fluid was coming from?

I'm guessing its from the input shaft but there is also that off-center black looking plug thing. It has a dark looking drip line coming from it. I'm also guessing the dark dirt-like stuff around the inside of the housing is clutch plate dust?

We'll see!

/ Tractor split - the Insides #13  
mmranch...looking at the splined input shaft, how far do the splines extend into the seal? Is there enough flat area on the shaft for the lips of the seal to ride on?

/ Tractor split - the Insides #14  
Since you have the tractor apart, I would change every single seal you can get to while you have it apart. Should be the input shaft and that plug. The plug either have an O-ring inside, or it works like a freeze plug on a engine block.

/ Tractor split - the Insides #15  
I'm thinking the rubber plug is used to plug a machined hole that was needed for the manufacturing process.

/ Tractor split - the Insides #16  
I'm thinking the rubber plug is used to plug a machined hole that was needed for the manufacturing process.

Yeah, I would say it's the bearing housing for the shuttle shaft and gears.

/ Tractor split - the Insides #17  
Hey, thanks for all the ideas. Sorry for the confusion... I actually created different posts for the different stages of the total project and put the 'Tractor Split' on the front so people could go right to that stage if they were also doing the job.

This post is about the actual insides repair.

I'm about to start cleaning up the bell housing side and engine side and then disassembling both sides.

Those splines are dry and rusty looking. Service manual say 'use a light coat of molybedenum heat-proof grease' when reassembling so I will. But remember, the splines live inside the clutch and the dryness says the clutch is staying pretty dry even with the hydraulic leak has fluid in the bell housing. We will see what the clutch looks like when I get it off. I'm replacing the clutch and throwout bearing anyway, since I'm in there.

Thanks again!
as long as the Molybdenum heat proof grease never dries out like Lithium grease dries out and cracks, very good. but if Molybdenum heat proof grease was used during the original assembly, where did it go to allow rust?. I mentioned marine grease that never dries out, and is impervious to water, over 20 years on an antenna tower proved that..

As I have been cleaning things up in the bell housing, the black seal has continued to leak hydraulic oil from the bottom of the seal.

View attachment 627675

This photo doesn't really show the leak but shows where it's leaking. Also, you can see some kind of sealant around the edges of the black seal.

And... it also appears to be continuing to leak at the underside of the input shaft.

/ Tractor split - the Insides #20