Tractor split - the Insides

/ Tractor split - the Insides
OK, so here's a picture of the input shaft seal and input shaft bearing.

tractor_split_57_small.jpg

tractor_split_58_small.jpg

The input shaft seal is easy to remove & replace. The input shaft bearing has a rubber o-ring around the outside edge. I'm reluctant to dig into it until I completely understand what's there.

The black seal has sealant around the edges. Guess I need to dig out the sealant and pry out the black plastic seal (destroying it)? Guess the new seal somehow taps into the hole?

Thanks!

/ Tractor split - the Insides #23  
yeah, I'd put some marine grease on them to prevent rust..

Gotta be careful greasing/oiling around the clutch disc. If it winds up on the pressure plate your clutch will slip. I'd wipe off any excess but a thin film sounds like a good idea....would make the next splitting easier, if things came to that, especially if the tractor sits up for long periods in a humid environment.

/ Tractor split - the Insides #24  
OK, so here's a picture of the input shaft seal and input shaft bearing.

View attachment 627677

View attachment 627678

The input shaft seal is easy to remove & replace. The input shaft bearing has a rubber o-ring around the outside edge. I'm reluctant to dig into it until I completely understand what's there.

The black seal has sealant around the edges. Guess I need to dig out the sealant and pry out the black plastic seal (destroying it)? Guess the new seal somehow taps into the hole?

Thanks!

The o ring on the bearing looks like it seals the output housing at the bearing. I would replace it.
Did you put any sealant on the OD of the seal? I use sparingly, Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket No 3. I would also us it on the black plug.

I would get a new black plug before trying to remove the old one. If I had a new one "in hand" I would not worry about destroying the old one.

/ Tractor split - the Insides #25  
The o ring on the bearing looks like it seals the output housing at the bearing. I would replace it.
Did you put any sealant on the OD of the seal? I use sparingly, Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket No 3. I would also us it on the black plug.

I would get a new black plug before trying to remove the old one. If I had a new one "in hand" I would not worry about destroying the old one.

Good points. Also, the 4 bolts that holds the output housing on, are they blind tapped holes? If they are not, you should seal the threads. Being that you have a mystery leak, take a careful look to see if a tapped hole broke out into the inside of the case.

ruffdog,

Funny you should mention that, I was just about to post this pic showing the bolt hole leakage from overnight.

tractor_split_59_small.jpg

I will seal the threads on all the bolt holes. Might put a small bead around the outside of the whole mating flange as well.

/ Tractor split - the Insides #30  
ruffdog,

Funny you should mention that, I was just about to post this pic showing the bolt hole leakage from overnight.

View attachment 627779

At least you found a smoking gun in your leakage problem.....good deal. Back in the day, we would use Permatex aviation to seal threads like head bolts. It looks like there are many products to choose from now.