Tractor Suggestions

/ Tractor Suggestions #1  

MasseyWV

Elite Member
Tractor
As some of you know, I'll be in the market for a used tractor soon and have more or less settled on a Massey Ferguson 135 but it's a little larger than what I think I'll really need so I'm still considering alternate possibilities.

I'm a typical homeowner with just under 3 acres of land and the tractor will be used to complete a number of small earth moving projects and to maintain our gravel driveway which is about 1000 feet long.

When the time comes, I'll have a maximum budget of $5000 and would like to keep the price at or below that amount. If anyone would like to make any suggestions, I'd be happy to consider them.

/ Tractor Suggestions #2  
So why would you spend $5K on a tractor that may not be exactly what you want and the last year of production was 1975 (according to tractor data dot com), doesn't have 4wd, doesn't have a front loader and so on.

Zero dollars down and 0% interest for 60 months (you are working on their money) will get you a new tractor with warranty with many features not available on a 1975 tractor.

/ Tractor Suggestions
So why would you spend $5K on a tractor that may not be exactly what you want and the last year of production was 1975 (according to tractor data dot com), doesn't have 4wd, doesn't have a front loader and so on.

Actually the Massey 135 can be equipped with a loader, and often is, but that is another subject.

I would like to have a newer 4x4 tractor with a loader but given the limitations of my used tractor budget, it may or may not be possible. Buying new would be great but I am having difficulty justifying the considerable expense that it would entail.

Zero dollars down and 0% interest for 60 months (you are working on their money) will get you a new tractor with warranty with many features not available on a 1975 tractor.

Financing is not an option, I will be paying cash.

Last edited:
   / Tractor Suggestions #4  
How about a MF 35. I had one and it was great machine. If you want to engage the ground like grading you really want all the machine you can get or you'll be disappointed in it's limited traction.
I'm glad your happy to hear my suggestions.

/ Tractor Suggestions
How about a MF 35. I had one and it was great machine. If you want to engage the ground like grading you really want all the machine you can get or you'll be disappointed in it's limited traction.
I'm glad your happy to hear my suggestions.

I originally considered the Massey 35 but tentatively settled on the Massey 135 because it was a newer version of the Massey 35. Ultimately, I may go with the Massey 135 precisely for the reasons you suggested but wanted to consider alternate possibilities before committing myself to a specific type of tractor. I had also considered the Ford 8N but it was too old and geared too high.

Rather than covering it all again, here is my original thread about the subject of the Massey Ferguson tractors:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...pricing/232899-massey-ferguson-135-150-a.html

/ Tractor Suggestions #6  
a mf 135 and 3c is a mighty fine matcvh.. you won't be shy of pwer on any big jobs you scare up.

/ Tractor Suggestions #7  
You can't go wrong with a MF135. It's an overbuilt tractor. It's the most stable tractor that I have ever used on steep slopes.

/ Tractor Suggestions
Don't get me wrong, I like the Massey tractors, as evidenced by my TBN username, but the purpose of this thread is to consider alternate possibilities. Preferably tractors that are somewhat smaller than the Massey 135 and were manufactured within the last 30 years or so.

Suggestions?

/ Tractor Suggestions #9  
You could find a ford 3000 in that price range. Might have to look some, but when you do fine it buy it cause it'll be go e soon. I missed out on a 3600 recently from messing around too long debating it when I should ha e been counting out the money in the owners hand and loading it on my trailer.

/ Tractor Suggestions
You could find a ford 3000 in that price range. Might have to look some, but when you do fine it buy it cause it'll be go e soon. I missed out on a 3600 recently from messing around too long debating it when I should ha e been counting out the money in the owners hand and loading it on my trailer.

The Ford 3000 is a great suggestion and while I haven't mentioned it, I've also been looking at it as an alternate possibility to the Massey 135 since it is in the same size range. The only problem is the size which is the main reason why I have been hesitant to commit myself to the Massey 135.

Perhaps I should have spoken in terms of horsepower but for some strange reason my visual brain just doesn't think that way, probably due to my inexperience. My thinking is that perhaps something in the 20-30 horsepower range might be better suited to my desires but I am not sure.

Most of the work I will be doing is very limited, with the exception of grading my driveway which will be somewhat more taxing but if any serious work is ever needed I will simply hire a dozer like I've done before. I do have some heavy work that needs to be done but it exceeds anything that could be done by the kind of tractor I'll be able to afford so it will be hired out to a dozer/backhoe contractor when the time comes.

Size wise, my mental picture is of something comparable to the Kubota BX series, or perhaps even a little larger like the Kubota TLB. I realize that I will not get a Kubota BX or a Kubota TLB for $5000 so please keep in mind that I am only citing them for comparison purposes. Also, I am not brand specific at this point so please feel free to suggest anything that may be appropriate except perhaps brands like Jinma, Izeki or other brands that may have quality or parts issues.