Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,301  
The conditions have been very good for working in the woods the last few days , it's only been getting to the high 20s during the day and most of our snow melted earlier in the week so th ground is nice and froze up . It's tobad we have rain hand 40s and 50s coming this week. Here some more pics of the hemlock I've been pulling out the last 2 days. The one pic looks like that tree was infested with a hemlock borer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    525.3 KB · Views: 197
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 187
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    462.9 KB · Views: 167
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    505.5 KB · Views: 170
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    486.7 KB · Views: 200
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,302  
These pictures are from this afternoon, I don't think I put my felling notch in deep enough and the tree fell a little off from were I was aiming and hung up in a big maple. I ended up hooking my winch cable up to it and using a snatch block and got it down after 20 minutes of "creative winching". It ended up breaking a few limbs off the maple tree , but the maple was girdled years ago when the property was last logged but it is still alive.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 193
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 191
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 175
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 189
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    478.1 KB · Views: 166
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    477.2 KB · Views: 161
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    444.6 KB · Views: 184
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,303  
I can't tell if that's a joke about the hemlock borer?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,304  
No it's not a joke look up eastern hemlock borer ,Ive seen a few hemlocks in my woods like this but this one was really bad compared to others I've seen.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 159
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,305  
Oh, I get it! You're saying the sapsucker was going after the ash borers. At first I thought you might think the holes were made by insects. Sorry, I'm a little slow sometimes. :drink:

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,306  
That is quite a bridge structure Andy. Why is it there ? Part of your camp ground infrastructure ?

You are gaining on your log pile :thumbsup: And you are right - conditions are great right now if you are logging and not trying to XC ski or snowmobile. I can see it is fun limbing those things !

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,307  
I love that "skidder package" on the John Deere.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,308  
The conditions have been very good for working in the woods the last few days , it's only been getting to the high 20s during the day and most of our snow melted earlier in the week so th ground is nice and froze up . It's tobad we have rain hand 40s and 50s coming this week. Here some more pics of the hemlock I've been pulling out the last 2 days. The one pic looks like that tree was infested with a hemlock borer.

Hemlock is good lumber!
Strong, and rot resistant.
My Nova Scotia summer home (built 2005) is framed entirely with hemlock.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,309  
Here is a little video I made on how to use a regular chain as a choker chain.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,310  
Here som pics of the bridge I've been cutting logs for.

Wow, very impressive. That is quite a structure and puts my "bridge" to shame. I can see why a rotten through board on it be of significant concern. :D