Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #781  
DSC_3847.jpg One reason I like a stand alone splitter. DSC_3861.jpg Dragged from my neighbor's house.
IMG_1187.jpgIMG_1188.jpg My brother and I went into the forest to score some red oak for woodworking projects. These trees fell during Sandy. The TSC boom pole is good for dragging too. Put a chain around a couple logs and lift. Or use the log tongs.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #782  
Looks nice,
But here is another option for 3 pts and some horizontal stand-alone splitters.

I had a stand alone kinetic from TSC. I found it took way to long to lift them up with the loader so i returned the splitter. It had other issues. I spent a couple hundred more $ and got a splitfire 3 pt with a lift and 4 way ive never looked back.

ForumRunner_20150129_211008.jpg

ForumRunner_20150129_211038.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #783  
Dave is there a noticeable difference in the splitters force in the "retract" split? I imagine that they might compensate by having killer cyl. so's there's no difference? Ya got some big wood there and a nice saw collection!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #784  
Dave is there a noticeable difference in the splitters force in the "retract" split? I imagine that they might compensate by having killer cyl. so's there's no difference? Ya got some big wood there and a nice saw collection!

Howdy,
On most woods (oak, ash, hickory, walnut) 20-22" of diameter or less the splitter splits whole rounds in either direction. If you find something with lots of knots or really weird grain it is sometimes required to split on push. Stroke. For. The really big stuff like that cherry i start from a corner and use the 4 way to knock off good sized chunks. Then split them down on return stroke. The lift makes an awesome table for setting big halves or quarters.
I cut everything to 16" and it just fits 2 pieces one at each end. If i was cutting at 18" or more i would order one of their longer strokes i believe they offer up to a 48" stroke.
Mine is only a 14-16 ish ton machine but they claim its equivalent to a 22 ton with a 36" diameter splitting capacity. I did not buy the big model because i wanted speed full cycle extend and retract ~9 seconds if i run 2600 rpm but usually just run 2200 with about a 5 second retract and second extend.
Mine was also specifically ordered with higher flow lines and hoses off of their big model.

Eventually I'd like to power it with an 16gpm or more 2 stage pump with a bigger motor to allow more pressure in the first stage. The tractor is awesome because it never slows down unless it flat out stalls and hits the relief. Its a little scary.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #785  
Looks nice,

I had a stand alone kinetic from TSC. I found it took way to long to lift them up with the loader so i returned the splitter. It had other issues. I spent a couple hundred more $ and got a splitfire 3 pt with a lift and 4 way ive never looked back.

Nice splitter and that is some saw and wood. Lots of these options weren't available in 96 when I bought my splitter and I didn't have a tractor. It does vertical as well so I can man-handle large logs under the splitter. Biggest I've done is 24" oak. The splitter that works on both strokes would be nice if I had an assistant.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #786  
Looks nice,

Nice splitter and that is some saw and wood. Lots of these options weren't available in 96 when I bought my splitter and I didn't have a tractor. It does vertical as well so I can man-handle large logs under the splitter. Biggest I've done is 24" oak. The splitter that works on both strokes would be nice if I had an assistant.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #787  

Thanks it looks like you could add a custom built lift to your splitter. my neighbors the axle is to close to the end and would get in the way.

To opperate the lift mine just has a second valve connected in series. The return stroke split is nice even when splitting alone i just pile up 8 or so 8-10" pieces on the lift and go at it. There is never any waiting on this style spliter. To really keep it busy it takes 3 people. With two people you still have significant down time if you're splitting rounds that only need to be quarted. Any thing larger than 10" and atleast 2 of the pieces get a second pass usually both get hit at the same time.

I would have bought the gas powered version of my splitfire but it was something like $1800 more. Someday I'll convert it but its a ways down on my list of stuff to do.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #788  

Hey Buggs67,
Do they make a 4 way wedge you can adapt to your splitter i think ive seen northern tool or someone that sells kits that work on standard i beam the 4 way is awesome something that would be more than worth the cost. I have never even installed the 2 way on mine. Just a thought

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #789  
Here's some tractors and wood picts...

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #790  
Here's some tractors and wood picts...

SR

Very, very nice. Is your front tire at rated preside? One picture makes the right tire look low.