Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,071  
I've added fuel filters to most of my gas engines to prevent the ports from getting plugged unless they have a tank filter.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,072  
Not so sure a filter will help much about old gas. Sta-bil or seafoam or ? are the only thing I've found helps. It's the residue ethanol gas createds when it sits to long that plugs the tiny ports.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,073  
Log length should be okay Dodgeman but I'd for sure raise them off the ground. I've bucked up a few cords and just left them in a pile for a yr. On dry ground before splitting. Logs for the mill often sit a yr. or to , I have them piled a ft or so off the ground.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,074  
Not so sure a filter will help much about old gas. Sta-bil or seafoam or ? are the only thing I've found helps. It's the residue ethanol gas createds when it sits to long that plugs the tiny ports.
Ethanol is great at removing water, and "they" say it burns cleaner, but the ethanol falls out of the mixture after a short time, I think its like 3-6 months, it also leaves behind a green powdery grit that clogs everything. So again the Gubment thinking they will save the planet by cutting down on one thing, but being so short sighted that they fail to see the long term drawbacks. More junk parts & machines in the landfill. Some homeowners buy a lawnmower from a box store, then when it doesn't start in 3-4 years, they junk it and buy a new foreign made cheapo for another 3-4 years. Look on the internet sales pages, nothing but "It ran when parked, won't start this year, bought new one". Or they just pay someone to junk it. So the few ounces of emissions that were saved in the 3-4 years that mower ran on ethanol, is now replaced by 150lbs of plastic, junk metal, and rubber in our landfills.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,075  
So I recently posted about a log splitter I bought and I have 2 to 3 years of fire wood split and stacked. I had a pretty good sized oak fall over, maybe 24” at the stump. Is it best to cut this up into log lengths that are about 8 feet long and stack the logs, or cut it up and split it? If I don’t split it the logs will lay in the dirt or I could maybe stack them on blocks.
In my experience with storing firewood, I will ask, how long do you want it to keep it before burning? If you are 2-3 years ahead, then 8' log length sounds like the right way to go, but as someone else said, if you could throw down sacrificial logs the other direction so they are not in the dirt, would go a long way to saving them. Friends of mine had 3 huge red oak trees taken down, we bucked and split them all, left uncovered. 3 years later the wood was borderline too punky to burn. I had a 10' long 18" red oak log up on cedar logs, and after 2 years, the inside looked the same as if it was just cut, just a whole lot drier. If you're really bored, take the bark off, & paint the ends, that I hear is the best way to preserve it.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,076  
So I recently posted about a log splitter I bought and I have 2 to 3 years of fire wood split and stacked. I had a pretty good sized oak fall over, maybe 24” at the stump. Is it best to cut this up into log lengths that are about 8 feet long and stack the logs, or cut it up and split it? If I don’t split it the logs will lay in the dirt or I could maybe stack them on blocks.
Yes, some sacrificial logs underneath works well. this is how I store mine.. just cut down a couple smaller straight pine trees for the job.

IMG_1434.JPG

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,080  
might mill some lumber out of this one... This big log was in a drainage ditch full of water and too heavy to lift with an attachment so had to go to the strap.
Tractor w big log.jpg