Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,371  
Do you still have that little dump trailer? Is that made of c-channel or Tubing. I had some 5” c -channel and welded them with two 5” c channel cross members to slide under gfs camper while they had its chassis removed. But thought of putting a couple tubing cross members and old truck axle under it for firewood. I don’t think I could weld a dump hinge on its end. I don’t think it would be strong enough. With no solid axle and only two c-channel cross members over its 12 feet ( their 8 ‘ apart. Main rails are 32” apart, it twists super easy. I know a solid axle would probably fix that but I feel limited on what I do with it

Yes I still have it. It will take a 3000 lb load by spec plus I beefed it up a little. The bed is 4' X 6' and will carry a strong 1/2 cord easily on rough trails. The dump bed uses 2" sq X 1/8 tubing and the frame is 2 X 3 X 1/8 C channel bent to form the hitch piece like you said. Seems light but it is plenty strong for what I do. It has walking beam axles. Hope that helps ??

P1180621.JPG

P1140506.JPG

20_6_12-2.JPG

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,372  
Ok. They made a hinge on the c-channel. Just used plate on the sides of the channel. I think the channel I had was 5”. But I’m getting on a plane tomorrow for work and will be gone several weeks. I like the swivel hitch too

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,373  
Ok. They made a hinge on the c-channel. Just used plate on the sides of the channel. I think the channel I had was 5”. But I’m getting on a plane tomorrow for work and will be gone several weeks. I like the swivel hitch too

Those swivel clevis type hitches are made for farm fields not woods. They can roll over field furrows but I found out quickly I needed something to protect the draw bar and/or trailer when going thru a sharp dip. I sandwiched up some scrap pieces of 1/2 and 3/8 to make it.

P1140491.JPG

P1140469.JPG

P1140486.JPG

gg

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,374  
DC1CB878-2841-4123-B607-B343601C1DC3.jpeg
8476225A-92AF-4D91-8BFD-0C7D0FB85D07.jpeg
One of the biggest bonuses to a machine like this those tire are 710’s on 26.5” wheels for an idea of the size of the holes we deal with.
BFDF7197-9ED9-443A-B9DC-B8B6B7CF729C.jpeg
BFDF7197-9ED9-443A-B9DC-B8B6B7CF729C.jpeg
5C4BE9BA-0CCD-4562-8DBF-A4C832363734.jpeg
look at all the water from this last weekends storms.
60FC7F3C-D3FD-471E-A315-2D7C6058FDE1.jpeg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,375  
So probably 90 percent of what I cut, I cut the live edge off. But, for some stuff like these slabs I leave the edge on cause it "looks cool" maybe?? If you look at those pics I posted above you can see how that live edge looks. Also sometimes, like for siding, I cut the live edge off one side and leave it on the other.. makes for a good looking siding. You can see a little bit of it on the top floor of my little shooting tower below.

View attachment 749181

View attachment 749182
Thanks again Hunt! Now I see how some live edge slabs could be used, and it does look rather good! I had forgotten about your shooting tower. I see now - again - how they can be overlapped and then be used, at least as siding.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,376  
View attachment 749273View attachment 749270One of the biggest bonuses to a machine like this those tire are 710’s on 26.5” wheels for an idea of the size of the holes we deal with.
View attachment 749269View attachment 749269View attachment 749272look at all the water from this last weekends storms.View attachment 749271
Always wondered what that machine was like to operate. I use to work on a few harvesters as well. When they first started, they used John deer 690 excavators with a forestry package installed. Namly different /higher tracks and a fab tech head. You had to push a foot peddle to pin the head. Because that head was solid, you could use it to pull yourself up on slopes the tracks alone couldn’t crawl up. That machine caught fire. They later got a 845 tigercat. The dangly type head was faster, but going up or down hills, you couldn’t pull the machine around. Or catch the machine when it was tipping as the head would just fall over.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,377  
We towed a lot off road with j5 tractors. My father welded the draw hitch on the j5 solid so it couldn’t go up or down like 3 pt arms. Then he welded a tongue onto that with a hole in it for a pin. The trailer had solid Clevis. About 6” apart. Once mated, drop the pin through. But the trailers would turn and twist. The pin must of been 1”-1/8”. It would be bent like a banana. There was nothing really to break on the j5 tractor. It would just bend the pin or prevent the trailer from tipping over. But I wouldn’t do that on the tractor or quad, or snowmobile. I made a trailer for my quad and put a swivel ball hitch. I’d imagine you could twist the rear of the bike should a heavy load too over.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,378  
You can see the hitch here. It would be a bit sloppy which helped. I’m not sure why he didn’t just use a pintle hitch. I’m thinking only because when they let the trailer go while down in a mud hole for example, it was simple to hook back up. Though a pintle would of been also. Especially one with a swivel lunette ring.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,379  
I moved a lite brush to a better location the first day I had my grapple.

The town decided about 6 months ago to quit picking it up without telling us because they've become shorthanded. I moved it to a less important part of the property. Made quick work of it and gave me some good practice on the grapple!

It moved pine needles pretty well too, to my pleasant surprise.

IMG_20220527_103933394_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220527_131249897_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220527_131244470_HDR.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,380  
Always wondered what that machine was like to operate. I use to work on a few harvesters as well. When they first started, they used John deer 690 excavators with a forestry package installed. Namly different /higher tracks and a fab tech head. You had to push a foot peddle to pin the head. Because that head was solid, you could use it to pull yourself up on slopes the tracks alone couldn’t crawl up. That machine caught fire. They later got a 845 tigercat. The dangly type head was faster, but going up or down hills, you couldn’t pull the machine around. Or catch the machine when it was tipping as the head would just fall over.
I’ve spent a lot of years around Fabtek heads and JD 653’s I remember the conversion machines of the 90’s as well as earlier from Pierce plus Jewell. That old foot treadle to balance a tree was an act some days the best way to put it was it’s a broom stick upside down on a slick surface.