Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,651  
I've wanted to get that for my dad. It's so expensive though, I can't bring myself to do it...
They’re a really nice can the only issue I had with mine besides it growing legs and walking off is I had one of the three point dawgs go through the can one day. Here’s a way to justify it to yourself with the self shut off how much gas are you saving because you’re not spilling it? Also with being able to carry spare chains how much less stuff are you packing around all day?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,652  
They’re a really nice can the only issue I had with mine besides it growing legs and walking off is I had one of the three point dawgs go through the can one day. Here’s a way to justify it to yourself with the self shut off how much gas are you saving because you’re not spilling it? Also with being able to carry spare chains how much less stuff are you packing around all day?
$110?

Husqvarna 580754201 Poly Container Combination 5 https://a.co/d/6U1okV4

Not there yet....haha.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,653  
Here’s a way to justify it to yourself with the self shut off how much gas are you saving because you’re not spilling it?
That is a nice feature for sure. I have seen those jugs around but never knew of the auto shutoff. It would also keep your saws a lot cleaner without oil/fuel running down the side from time to time.

I always have either my pickup or a tractor nearby so I don't to be as "efficient" space wise. You are a pro deep in the brush on a given day and have to have things thought through.

Anyone that does not know about the auto shutoff, watch the video I posted, # 21,647.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,654  

Those no spill brand cans are actually nice for filling up chainsaws. Most of the other carb compliant cans suck. The no spill cans are like $20. That’s not exactly what I’d consider expensive.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,655  
I posted some pics a few weeks ago of my maple syrup operation (which requires a lot of firewood!) so I'd thought I share a few from yesterday's tapping. Put in 45 taps and will put in 45 more today. Crazy weather this winter in upstate NY so far so who knows what this season will be like. The hill in the second photo is much steeper than it looks, and carrying 5 gallon buckets full of sap back up is quite a workout!

Attachments

• 20230211_145413.jpg
    20230211_145413.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 101
  • 20230211_145657.jpg
    20230211_145657.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 97
  • 20230211_121516.jpg
    20230211_121516.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 101
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,656  
Those no spill brand cans are actually nice for filling up chainsaws. Most of the other carb compliant cans suck. The no spill cans are like $20. That’s not exactly what I’d consider expensive.
No they aren’t expensive but they aren’t fun to pack out with if you’re having to carry that can plus a can for bar oil. It’s nice when both cans are the same shape it’s a personal preference thing, I’ve gone back to an old see through oil jug just because it’s easier to pack and see how much I’ve burnt.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,657  
When I was carrying a saw doing linework I had a backpack which held my oil, paint, water and lunch. Plus my axe. Gas in one hand, saw in the other. One time I carried 2 gallons of paint for as many days… when it came time to paint out I realized I had reused two old paint cans and they now held old engine oil.

Oops! That was a mile walk back to the truck for paint.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,658  
When I was carrying a saw doing linework I had a backpack which held my oil, paint, water and lunch. Plus my axe. Gas in one hand, saw in the other. One time I carried 2 gallons of paint for as many days… when it came time to paint out I realized I had reused two old paint cans and they now held old engine oil.

Oops! That was a mile walk back to the truck for paint.
Sounds like something I would do.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,659  
Splitting some black locust for runners to stack cordwood on. They split surprisingly easy. Hammer a hatchet into the small end, wedge the rest. Two minutes, 15ft. Years ago I watched the neighbor split rails for fence posts. He cut up a woodlot full, fence posts for life. Finally tried it myself.

0212231253a_HDR.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,660  
Trail conditions here have remained solid so far thru this warm spell so I am still able to work the winter fir harvest. Here are a couple pictures from this morning.

23_2_16-1.JPG

23_2_16-2.JPG

I'm cutting the stand, back to front and left to right. I try to fell everything to
the back so that I'm not working in, or winching logs thru, the slash. It requires some wedging.
Tuesday I made a little video showing some of that wedge work. The first tree, a back
leaner, wedged over nicely and had very little butt rot. The second tree had a right lean.
The butt was quite rotten. The rotted hinge couldn't take the jacking pressure of the wedges even though I left it heavy. When the hinge broke the tree went where it wanted - to the right, and leaned up against some adjacent trees. I pulled it off the stump with the winch then cut quite a bit of rot off the butt before I found good wood. Third and fourth trees were back leaners, especially the fourth. They were too small to get a wedge in behind the bar before the saw got pinched. In those cases I like to use the "tongue and groove" cut so I can get a wedge in. This is about an 18 minute video.

gg