trail brush maintenance - Samurai Cutter - Sicklebar or similar option?

/ trail brush maintenance - Samurai Cutter - Sicklebar or similar option? #21  
And then there's also glyphosate. Each application works for a few years. More effective than mechanical removal at a fraction of the cost.

/ trail brush maintenance - Samurai Cutter - Sicklebar or similar option? #22  
Why not rent a pole saw (try before you buy) and see how effective it is? If you are aggressive at the tops, it shouldn't be so bad the next year.

/ trail brush maintenance - Samurai Cutter - Sicklebar or similar option?
And then there's also glyphosate. Each application works for a few years. More effective than mechanical removal at a fraction of the cost.

We do use glyphosate at times, we have't been impressed, and the half-life concentration goes down too rapidly to remain effective for more than a couple weeks, definitely not years, not really even months, especially with the rain here. It needs to be combined with far more expensive chemicals. It is an option though.

/ trail brush maintenance - Samurai Cutter - Sicklebar or similar option? #25  
You can control the width of the trail with your rotary cutter. Aren't you asking how to keep the vertical overhang of the privacy brush under control? Don't see how glyphosate helps with that.

yes, I am more concerned with new growth from the existing shrubs hitting me in the face while on the mower/tractor/walking, etc. I can keep the stuff at ground level cut, but it's the limbs and shoots that grow from existing shrubs I want to maintain. We'd probably use the device twice a year to cut back the new limbs/shoots that have grown outward from knee height to a few feet above head level.

/ trail brush maintenance - Samurai Cutter - Sicklebar or similar option? #27  
Why not rent a gas powered pole saw for a day, and trim the beejesus out of those tops just to see how it goes? They also make pole hedge cutters, but I don't think they would cut as aggressively as a pole saw.

/ trail brush maintenance - Samurai Cutter - Sicklebar or similar option? #28  
Why not rent a gas powered pole saw for a day, and trim the beejesus out of those tops just to see how it goes?

Watching the Trailblazer videos taken from the tractor, the tractor just cruises along, probably at walking speed. The view from the ground is a little different. At approx 0:18 into Trailblazer 2019 (Tractor Mount)-Video 1 the operator stops, reverses, and decides to avoid a vine covered trunk. The fellows from LA and IN also back and fill. So let us say the average speed is 1 mph although it will probably increase for subsequent trimmings.

In your original post you said 2 sides of the trail combined to a little over 1 mile; you said it takes a couple weeks with a hedge trimmer and lopers. It is unlikely you would use the Trailblazer on the fence line. So around the outside of the hedgerow would take approximately 1/2 hour, probably less time than it would take to mount and demount the attachment and maintain the pony engine. That is a tremendous time saving.

But, before I spent $3000, I would like a data point for a pole saw and would take airbiscuit's advice.

his last video post was a gas powered hedge trimmer vs pole saw, and I do think a hedge trimmer type larger than what I have, is a better option than a pole (chain) saw.

/ trail brush maintenance - Samurai Cutter - Sicklebar or similar option? #30  
Watching the Trailblazer videos taken from the tractor, the tractor just cruises along, probably at walking speed. The view from the ground is a little different. At approx 0:18 into Trailblazer 2019 (Tractor Mount)-Video 1 the operator stops, reverses, and decides to avoid a vine covered trunk. The fellows from LA and IN also back and fill. So let us say the average speed is 1 mph although it will probably increase for subsequent trimmings.

In your original post you said 2 sides of the trail combined to a little over 1 mile; you said it takes a couple weeks with a hedge trimmer and lopers. It is unlikely you would use the Trailblazer on the fence line. So around the outside of the hedgerow would take approximately 1/2 hour, probably less time than it would take to mount and demount the attachment and maintain the pony engine. That is a tremendous time saving.

But, before I spent $3000, I would like a data point for a pole saw and would take airbiscuit's advice.