trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools
I haven't read all 30 pages of this thread so apologies if you mentioned it, but who owns/operates this trail system? Is all this equipment your own personal?
The only groomed XC/snowshoe trails here are private ones run by resorts (though some are open to the public). Those activities as well as dogsleds are permitted on snowmobile trails though. Most of those are on private property where owners have given permission, and are maintained by local clubs (with financial help from the state).

There are trails for non-motorized recreation in the national forest, but these aren't groomed.
We have National forest here which is groomed by the NFS but there lack of knowledge and equipment really shows up. We tried to help them but gave up tring, at least this time.

All the machinery you see in the pics I post, is our personal tools.

Today we are grooming XC trails located on privet property that the owners sold the access rights to the public.

Last edited:
Back to a National forest trail at Lake Ste Kathryn which we care for. There today to check on its condition and hope to get back as soon as we can camp there. Won't be long! We do this to see how many dead-falls came down over the winter. This is important to do and see what tools to bring and the volume of work.
P1050379.jpg

Seen our 1st within 200 yards.
P1050381.jpg
P1050382.jpg
P1050393.jpg

This very large branch just missed the kiosk. This will be pole saw cut.
P1050407.jpg
P1050433.jpg

Not going to post all we seen here today but seems we can clear this trail in one weekend there. May have been 12 fallen across there trail with just one of real size, at about 16" in diameter. Was a great day to hike around it!

What are you doing in preparation of trail work this summer? :unsure:

Last edited:
To reiterate, I hoped this thread was to discuss the tools and technique of clearing, or keeping clear your trails. Feel free to post any questions concerning that.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #304  
Why is dog standing on railing ?

/ trail clearing technique and tools #306  
I wish to ask a question about creating/clearing a NEW path. If not appropriate just let me know...

I have an area in which I have a bunch of old tree trunks/debris laying on the ground, under brush and whatnot. Ground is far to soft to use any wheeled or tracked equipment on. I want to cut out sections of such material in order to have a reasonable smooth pathway. Largest trunk might be 2' dia?

Only thing I can think of is to use a chainsaw with a trash bar and chain. Have never done such before, though I've cut pretty close to the ground and a bit into much before.

Here's a sample of what I'm looking at (I've already been through here an cut out/down a lot of blackberries- I try to keep from cutting salmon berries as they're native; and, I rescue all maple saplings I can). Logs/debris aren't visible- most lies further in in this area, past the closest trees in the foreground (alder on the left and hemlock or fir on the right).
NewPath.jpg

I wish to ask a question about creating/clearing a NEW path. If not appropriate just let me know...

I have an area in which I have a bunch of old tree trunks/debris laying on the ground, under brush and whatnot. Ground is far to soft to use any wheeled or tracked equipment on. I want to cut out sections of such material in order to have a reasonable smooth pathway. Largest trunk might be 2' dia?

Only thing I can think of is to use a chainsaw with a trash bar and chain. Have never done such before, though I've cut pretty close to the ground and a bit into much before.

Here's a sample of what I'm looking at (I've already been through here an cut out/down a lot of blackberries- I try to keep from cutting salmon berries as they're native; and, I rescue all maple saplings I can). Logs/debris aren't visible- most lies further in in this area, past the closest trees in the foreground (alder on the left and hemlock or fir on the right).
View attachment 740898
We are used to the northern hardwoods we have here, so anything I say you need to take with a grain of salt. Your low ground can be cleared but it will take elbow grease. Do you plan to put in board walks or corduroy in these wet area's afterwards? if you don't, you be making ponds of mud were you walk.

You might need to layer the clearing jobs and you did say the width you'd like. From your photo, I'd guess at least 6ft wide or the brush will give you grief.

1st is hire help, have then wear mud boots and give them loppers to clear the small brush that's to small for other tools.
Whatever is cut needs to be removed from the area or your next job with become $#!*&.

2nd job is to go through with heavy strings (.155 or larger) and cut the brush-weeds that's to small for the loppers. Again wear mud boots.

3rd is go through with your chain saw or steel bladed weed whacker.. I'm a fan of pole saws for clearing trees against the ground and yes, clearing trails dulls chains left and right. Again, whatever is cut needs to be removed from the area or your next job with become $#!*&.

Last edited:
   / trail clearing technique and tools #310  
I have an area in which I have a bunch of old tree trunks/debris laying on the ground, under brush and whatnot. Ground is far to soft to use any wheeled or tracked equipment on. I want to cut out sections of such material in order to ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

If the ground is that soft,, the FIRST thing you need to do is ,,,
CHECK to see if it is legal to disturb the area!!

I lived in Massachusetts in 1980, with an IDENTICAL area next to my home.
It was against the law to disturb that area in any way,, PERIOD!

If I would have done anything, there would have been a big fine, and restoration costs.
My experience was over 40 years ago,, many places have become more strict during that time.