trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools
You may need to construct some puncheon. I looked for a video showing how it is done and couldn't locate anything I liked. Here is a photo of the idea.

fig41.jpg

Last edited:
   / trail clearing technique and tools #22  
That might work, would have to make wider since it will need to have a tractor roll on it.

That might work, would have to make wider since it will need to have a tractor roll on it.
What we've done is stake 6x6 down the width you need to be. Add 4x4's to hold the left and right 6x6's together because the material you add with be pushing the sides (6x6s) outwards. All these are of course ground treated wood. Add geo mat and put in the sand/gravel. If you have water flowing to the other side, then you'll need to add culevrts so your puncheon doen't make a dam. This is over simplifed but that's the idea..

Last edited:
I need to give fiskars 32" gear loppers a shout out for the great tool they are. We've used these for many years and resharpen them over then over again. We occasionally do break the blade part and email a photo of it to fiskares and a new one is sent. No calling, just email them the photo with your address. Great tool and service! (y)

41MDO7XKF6L._AC_SX466_.jpg

Last edited:
   / trail clearing technique and tools #25  
I've built and/or reopened miles of trails. Most are old skid trails from logging, and provide a good starting point. My weapon of choice is a mini-excavator. It doesn't give you quaint walking trails, but it does give you great rails for hiking, skiing, UTVs, horseback, etc. I've actually learned to cut back the foliage as far as possible simply because it will then take longer for the trail to get choked back in by growth.

For an initial clearing, I run through with a bucket and thumb and remove all the fallen logs and bigger shurbs and trees that are right in the path.

Then I come through with a mulcher head on the mini to clean up and cut back as far as it will reach.

Subsequent maintenance is will a tractor and rotary mower, but after a few years the adjacent trees all grow sideways and start to choke the trail back down, and which point I do another pass with the mulcher.

Out checking trails yesterday. Top two is a newly built ADA trail that needs further water control done to it...
P1110185.jpg
P1110184.jpg

Maple shoots we'll need to cut on a different one.
P1110206.jpg
P1110204.jpg

I work like to try one of these blades to cut the shoots down as seen in the above photos. Might be better in the gravel and rocks we work in. :unsure: Has anyone used these?
71lNhMlyaJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

/ trail clearing technique and tools #30  
Very cool thread!

Many years ago, did trail work up in the Cascades. Most of the sweat was breaking up basalt, very little brush clearing. Making switchbacks was very interesting too. Was very annoying when something got away from you and you had to climb down 600 feet to where it fetched up against something and haul it back up. Loved it all. Sometimes navy jets would come over from the west side of the state and they'd buzz you when up on a ridge.