trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools
I've seen them but always figured they were a total pita the have to re string all the time instead of a bump head.
Are they worth it time wise. It's already annoying winding a spool of 105 every 20 min of cutting
Gee Elven, we need to get you updated with a proper string head. :D Like you, I hate re-spooling those coil string heads and will never-ever go back to them. And more important that .155 thick string can cut serious weeds and tree shoots. Bad thing is they'll shoot rocks like bullets and can damage house parts. My spouse knocked the glass out of a our truck that was parked near by. Seen below is a string bundles we go into the field with and we can change out strings, in less than 60 seconds. We use a line-men pliers to do that.
string head477.jpg
stringbundle541.jpg

/ trail clearing technique and tools #42  
My dad had one of those 4 wheeled weedwackers prob 17 years ago and it had a head that used strips of strings like that and it was a pita to change them. Granted good quality string has come a long way in durability but the memory is still there.

My dad had one of those 4 wheeled weedwackers prob 17 years ago and it had a head that used strips of strings like that and it was a pita to change them. Granted good quality string has come a long way in durability but the memory is still there.
There are quite a few varieties and stiffness of string out there. We found the more flexible stuff lasts longer, but cuts slightly less. Nonetheless, we buy it by the roll and it costs little and we sometimes go all day with the same string. Then on other days, it last 2 hours. Trees and rocks chew them up fast. In the above photos I didn't change any string but I can't guess what your weeds and shoots are like.. :unsure:

Last edited:
This is me cutting and making new string bundles. The sharpie marks are the length.
stringbundle536.jpg

/ trail clearing technique and tools #45  
Fun times.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #46  
Gee Elven, we need to get you updated with a proper string head. :D Like you, I hate re-spooling those coil string heads and will never-ever go back to them. And more important that .155 thick string can cut serious weeds and tree shoots. Bad thing is they'll shoot rocks like bullets and can damage house parts. My spouse knocked the glass out of a our truck that was parked near by. Seen below is a string bundles we go into the field with and we can change out strings, in less than 60 seconds. We use a line-men pliers to do that.View attachment 701876View attachment 701877

I’m also in need of an update. Running a bump head with .090 line on a Stihl Kombi KM90.

Any specific recommendations to the head and line replacements?

/ trail clearing technique and tools #47  
   / trail clearing technique and tools #48  
isn't that covered metal ?

I’m also in need of an update. Running a bump head with .090 line on a Stihl Kombi KM90.

Any specific recommendations to the head and line replacements?
Here is the two string heads we run. The one on the right is a Stihl head we just got and so far, seems fine. I was worried its lager diameter with 4 strings would drag the engines HP down but it works fine.

The left one is what Echo sells and lots of other company's sell and all look and work the same. We run these right against the ground. Does that cover all your questions??? :unsure:
stringhead0301.jpg
P1110303.jpg
stringhead04.jpg

Last edited: