trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools
These pics might give you an idea of the crap ^%%$@ weeds that need to be cut down. Plenty of trees mixed in as well. In the bottom of the photos, you can see I've already knocked some weeds down. All this steel laying around is tough on string and your saws chain. :(
P1070419.jpg
P1070377.jpg

Last edited:
Was out clearing a parking lot and just a tad of trail late yesterday. The fellow who owns the land had read through this thread and was thoroughly impressed with what .155 string heads could take down. He is considering the Stihl Kombi setup so I had him operating that while I used a Echo. He's now getting the kombi. Sorry but no photos were taken.

I'm still clearing the old weld shop yard and will likely be doing that for another month while using both my baby Makita pruning saws. Of course I have power there to keep its batteries up. At this point, I'll be keeping them both. I LOVE them!

Last edited:
   / trail clearing technique and tools #443  
Any difference on the duty cycle of the second saw?

/ trail clearing technique and tools #445  
Are you learning to finesse it so it stalls less often?

Are you learning to finesse it so it stalls less often?
Well yes. These battery saws just don't have the raw power I'm used to but we must note, these pruning saws are quite light and small so we they are nice to use one handed and go into into brush-piles to cut something.. If you have a charging power and spare batteries, I'd now recommend them.

Last edited:
   / trail clearing technique and tools #447  
Thanks for posting the review of the Makita mini. I have been toying with getting something like that for small jobs.

Instead I found a great deal on a used Stihl Pole saw and got that for now - a mini like the Makita will be next at some point.

Thanks for posting the review of the Makita mini. I have been toying with getting something like that for small jobs.

Instead I found a great deal on a used Stihl Pole saw and got that for now - a mini like the Makita will be next at some point
Which used Stihl pole saw did you get?

I've got lots of oil, chians and batteries ran through these saws now and do like them. Should I do a review of them here? Where ever I do it, I should be able to post it tonight. Let me know your thoughts.

Hasn't anyone else been working on there trails?

/ trail clearing technique and tools #450  

Instead I found a great deal on a used Stihl Pole saw and got that for now - a mini like the Makita will be next at some point.

Which used Stihl pole saw did you get?
HT 56 C EZ Not the highest end, but good enough for what I will use it for. and for ~$265 the price was good. (hardly used at all - lady who bought it was unable to use it due to shoulder issues)