Trailer Advice Needed

/ Trailer Advice Needed #1  

Parkanzky

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 2032R
I've been reading as many threads as I can on trailers and now I want to get the collective wisdom of the board.

I have a John Deere 2032R with FEL and a few attachments. I'd like to be able to take it to friends' houses to help out with little projects. It would also be nice to be able to transport it for service. I'm a car guy, so I'd also like to be able to haul a (possibly non-running) car on occasion.

There's a nursery about 1000' from our driveway where we can get mulch, stone, etc. so I can haul that in the pickup truck or get a dump-truck full. The trailer isn't really needed for that.

My current tow vehicle is a 2003 Chevy 1500HD (9900# towing capacity). If I change trucks, I'll be looking at a newer 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck with at least as much towing capacity.

I think that ditching ramps makes the trailer a lot more convenient to use and way more versatile, so I have been looking at tilt trailers. I've mainly been looking at electric-hydraulic tilt like what H&H and PJ's make.

My tractor is about 9' long without the loader. I am guessing the loader adds another 4'. More with the forks instead of the bucket. The box scraper or flail mower will hang another ~3' off the back. If I want to take another implement, that will add another few feet, although some things can overlap a bit.

So am I right to think that I want a 20' deck on the trailer. That should allow me to haul the tractor, bucket and forks, mower, and box scraper.

The tractor is 2000#, the FEL with bucket is probably another 1000#. The box scraper is 600#, Flail mower is 700#, figure another few hundred pounds for the forks and carrier. The whole package is probably ~4500#, so a 10k# GVWR trailer should be way more than enough.

Does it sound like I'm on the right track? What type of tilt-trailers does everybody have? I know that I don't want the manual hydraulic tilt, but should I consider a gravity tilt instead of the electric-hydraulic? Any brands I should look for or avoid?

/ Trailer Advice Needed #2  
I've been reading as many threads as I can on trailers and now I want to get the collective wisdom of the board. I have a John Deere 2032R with FEL and a few attachments. I'd like to be able to take it to friends' houses to help out with little projects. It would also be nice to be able to transport it for service. I'm a car guy, so I'd also like to be able to haul a (possibly non-running) car on occasion. There's a nursery about 1000' from our driveway where we can get mulch, stone, etc. so I can haul that in the pickup truck or get a dump-truck full. The trailer isn't really needed for that. My current tow vehicle is a 2003 Chevy 1500HD (9900# towing capacity). If I change trucks, I'll be looking at a newer 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck with at least as much towing capacity. I think that ditching ramps makes the trailer a lot more convenient to use and way more versatile, so I have been looking at tilt trailers. I've mainly been looking at electric-hydraulic tilt like what H&H and PJ's make. My tractor is about 9' long without the loader. I am guessing the loader adds another 4'. More with the forks instead of the bucket. The box scraper or flail mower will hang another ~3' off the back. If I want to take another implement, that will add another few feet, although some things can overlap a bit. So am I right to think that I want a 20' deck on the trailer. That should allow me to haul the tractor, bucket and forks, mower, and box scraper. The tractor is 2000#, the FEL with bucket is probably another 1000#. The box scraper is 600#, Flail mower is 700#, figure another few hundred pounds for the forks and carrier. The whole package is probably ~4500#, so a 10k# GVWR trailer should be way more than enough. Does it sound like I'm on the right track? What type of tilt-trailers does everybody have? I know that I don't want the manual hydraulic tilt, but should I consider a gravity tilt instead of the electric-hydraulic? Any brands I should look for or avoid?

Sounds right to me. Only change I would make is going to a 12K trailer. Not much difference in price or weight.

Chris

/ Trailer Advice Needed
Sounds right to me. Only change I would make is going to a 12K trailer. Not much difference in price or weight.

Chris

It seems like going to a 12000# trailer adds something like $750 to the price of the trailer. That's a significant chunk if I'm never going to use the extra capacity.

This trailer is going to have to live outside. What construction would everyone go for? I can get Aluminum or steel frame. Then I can choose between treated wood, diamond plate steel, or all Aluminum for the deck.

Also, what sort of tilt do folks that have these prefer? It looks like having the entire 20' tilt is common, but you can also get trailers where 16' of the deck tilts and the front 4' is stationary. I assume that's so I could load things onto it that would stay there when the trailer was tilted, but it would be a disadvantage if I was trying to use a winch, right?

I've been looking for used, but haven't found any good prospects locally and used prices seem to be nearly as much as new.

/ Trailer Advice Needed #4  
It seems like going to a 12000# trailer adds something like $750 to the price of the trailer. That's a significant chunk if I'm never going to use the extra capacity. This trailer is going to have to live outside. What construction would everyone go for? I can get Aluminum or steel frame. Then I can choose between treated wood, diamond plate steel, or all Aluminum for the deck. Also, what sort of tilt do folks that have these prefer? It looks like having the entire 20' tilt is common, but you can also get trailers where 16' of the deck tilts and the front 4' is stationary. I assume that's so I could load things onto it that would stay there when the trailer was tilted, but it would be a disadvantage if I was trying to use a winch, right? I've been looking for used, but haven't found any good prospects locally and used prices seem to be nearly as much as new.

Pass on aluminum. Spend the extra money to build a shelter for it. As for decking I am not a fan of steel or aluminum decks, just too slick with the slightest bit of moisture.

As far as used goes, my 20 years in the trailer business shows 9 times out of 10 used trailers cost more in the first year than a new trailer cost. Tires, wiring, paint, bearings, brakes can easily add up to a grand or more.

By the way I have 3 personal trailers. A 7,000# steel and a 18,000# steel. I also have a 12,000# aluminum. All three are 2003 and 2004 model years. The aluminum looks the roughest.

Chris

/ Trailer Advice Needed
Thanks for the great info!

What do you think about full-tilt vs. having a stationary platform near the tongue? Do you like power or gravity tilt? I don't have any experience with tilt trailers, but they seem like the obvious way to go to me.

You're in the trailer business? What brands do you carry? If I were to pull into your lot, what would you direct me toward and what would it cost?

/ Trailer Advice Needed #6  
I owned an H&H 7K 20' full tilt bed. Bought it new in 2006. My tilt bed was a manual tilt for about a month. That (manually pumping the jack) got old real fast so I bought a cylinder, hose, and elect / hyd pump and converted it to power up and gravity down. Also put a HF 8K winch on it. Last year I replaced the brakes on it. I bought complete kits including backing plates from Etrailer.com very reasonable.
Last Feb. I outgrew the 7K trailer when I bought a new tractor so I ended up selling the H&H and bought a 14K PJ 22' power tilt. I have added a 9K winch on this one.

I also like the fact the fenders are removable on both tilt bed trailers however, the H&H fenders are easily taken off with 2 rubber ball style bungees. The PJ fenders are removable but are bolted on and take a lot more work to get them off.

I prefer a full tilt deck with no side rails for easy side loading. Some like the stationary platform but I don't have a use for it.

I'd go for power tilt over gravity any day.
Also check out Stateline trailers. Very similar to H&H trailers with comparable prices.
E/T Speedhauler Tilt Bed | Gooseneck Trailers | SLTrailers.com

/ Trailer Advice Needed #7  
I would look very closely at the trailers you are interested in. The prices may be close, but manufacture's are known to cut corners unless you get the top of the line trailer. Cross member spacing and size, main member size and weight, hitch rating, paint vs powder coat, LED vs incandescent lights. It doesn't take much more to get a very nice trailer that will last you for years. Keep an eye on the brand of tires that come with the trailer to!

/ Trailer Advice Needed #8  
Park, I have had three 16 to 18 foot flatbed trailers with ramps or home made gate ramps. I needed something bigger. Went with a PJ T-6 tilt deck. Smartest thing I could have done. I bought it in the Thumb, Cass City area. Guessing you know where that is. I didn't think I needed one that big but it sure has saved me alot of grief. I didn't get the power tilt and don't see any need for it. It has sat out for two winters now, I use it in the winter to haul a JD3520 with back blade and blower. No problems at all.

/ Trailer Advice Needed #9  
Thanks for the great info! What do you think about full-tilt vs. having a stationary platform near the tongue? Do you like power or gravity tilt? I don't have any experience with tilt trailers, but they seem like the obvious way to go to me. You're in the trailer business? What brands do you carry? If I were to pull into your lot, what would you direct me toward and what would it cost?

I sell and service trailers at a marina part time. 70% of the stuff I maintain is boat trailers. We have bought and sold a bunch of brands.

I'm not a tilt trailer guy. My personal utility trailer is a 18' flat deck. Never owned one. Closest I had was a 14,000# dump made by BriMar.

Chris

/ Trailer Advice Needed #10  

Chris
But there may be a BIG difference in taxes and how the "law" treats the extra 2,000 pounds. OP check with your local laws.