Trailer Bumper

/ Trailer Bumper #11  
Are you allowed to do that in your state...I'm pretty sure that's not cool here. in fact I've never seen it on the road beyond hay wagons being pulled by tractors, I've never seen one pulled by a pickup. In PA they had a heck of a time allowing tandem tractor trailers..They finally relented on that 10+ years ago.

This weekend I saw a a Dodge dually (not sure of size) with a ≈32 ft tandem axle travel trailer behind it was a ≈25 ft boat single axle surge brakes it wasn't licensed in PA but was in PA on RT 80 headed east, I definitely did the double take when I passed it.

tom

/ Trailer Bumper #12  
We see it done all the time around here. 2 of my neighbors do it also and I see a dozen or so at the lakes every weekend in the summer. Usually pulling a 30' 5th wheel and a 18' ski boat behind it with a diesel truck.

:eek: That would scare the beejeebers out of me. Personally, I'd make 2 trips.

/ Trailer Bumper #13  
:eek: That would scare the beejeebers out of me. Personally, I'd make 2 trips.

The guy who lives down the street from me pulls his 35' 5th wheel and 18' boat all over. He as gone as far as Florida with it from Indiana. All this is done behind his 2006 Dodge Cummins 3500 SRW 4x4.

Longest double pull I have done was a 28' boat and a 10' Jet-Ski behind my truck. The boat was 32' long on the trailer and the Jet-Ski was 13' plus my truck at 20' for a total length of 65'. I did it on a 4 state 800 mile trip without any issues.

I have also double pulled 2 stacks of 4 16' landscape trailers across 3 states, about 400 miles. This was only about 60' long.

Chris

/ Trailer Bumper #14  
Looks good.

You going to do an 'eyebrow' or something around the tail lights ?

/ Trailer Bumper
Yes, I will put an eyebrow over the light bar, and i am installing two license plate lights, and i will put 2" angle iron over them also.
And Chis, I thought about installing a hitch tube, maybe i will after thinking about it more.

Last edited:
   / Trailer Bumper #16  
This weekend I saw a a Dodge dually (not sure of size) with a ≈32 ft tandem axle travel trailer behind it was a ≈25 ft boat single axle surge brakes it wasn't licensed in PA but was in PA on RT 80 headed east, I definitely did the double take when I passed it.

tom

Good grief...On I80? I don't even like driving on that road, let alone that. I pulled a 32ft bumper pull travel trailer up there going to Clarion and thought I was going to die. Got blown all over the road, not to mention the washboard effect of the road itself. I had all the anti-sway stuff. The truckers are nuts up there. The older guys know what they will do to travel trailers and behave accordingly..The younger ones, not so much. Have to have 1 hand on the controller at all times.

Went across a bridge near Knox with the trailer, a micro burst almost blew me into the Jersey barrier. I had 200# of liquid oxygen in the bed for my daughter along with a portable oxygen tank in the interior. Figure the 2 trailer mounted propane tanks and the gas in the truck, dental records wouldn't have helped identify us.:(

Needless to say, I put a hurtin' on a 30 pack once we got to the campground, and that was before the camper was set up.

/ Trailer Bumper
Worked on the trailer today, welded pat eyes for ramps and more bracing under main frame and bumper, drilled and tap 1/4" 20 bolt threads for license plate and license plate lights and light bar. This week end i will be buffing and grinding to prime and paint.

Attachments

• PICT0768.jpg
    PICT0768.jpg
    586.8 KB · Views: 128
  • PICT0769.jpg
    PICT0769.jpg
    460.9 KB · Views: 112
  • PICT0774.jpg
    PICT0774.jpg
    563.2 KB · Views: 137
  • PICT0767.jpg
    PICT0767.jpg
    491.3 KB · Views: 132
   / Trailer Bumper #18  
Nice work. Is there going to be a issue installing the lights? Also, did you opt not to do the trailer hitch receiver at this time?

Chris

/ Trailer Bumper
Nice work. Is there going to be a issue installing the lights? Also, did you opt not to do the trailer hitch receiver at this time?

Chris

Re-using the orginal led lights, they are rubber mounts. I made a wiring harness for inside the bumper, using a regular 4-plug male and female, if any problems i can pull the harness out to work on it, all the lights just plug in. Not going with the reciever hitch, i dont think its legal to double pull in Tx, least i havnt seen it. But it was a good suggestion.

/ Trailer Bumper #20  
Re-using the orginal led lights, they are rubber mounts. I made a wiring harness for inside the bumper, using a regular 4-plug male and female, if any problems i can pull the harness out to work on it, all the lights just plug in. Not going with the reciever hitch, i dont think its legal to double pull in Tx, least i havnt seen it. But it was a good suggestion.

You are right, its not legal in TX. That really surprises me since just about anything goes in TX.

Here is a copy of the Texas laws from my towing guide book.

Texas:

Maximum Speed Limit: 55
Maximum Dimensions for trailer:N/A'L x 8'6"W x 13'6"H
Maximum Length with Trailer:65'
Minimum Weight requiring Separate Trailer Brakes:4500
Trailer Equipment Requirements:
Safety Chains:Y
Brakelights:Y
Taillights:Y
Clearance Lights:Y (If over 80" wide.)
License Light:Y
Turn Signals:Y