Trailer for BX

/ Trailer for BX #1  

Boner

Silver Member
I am seriously considering moving up from my JD GT to a BX. I'm sure I am not the 1st person to go from a GT to a BX, and figure out that now I need a trailer. (well, maybe not NEED, but its a darn good excuse!) I am kinda hung between a 6x12 single axle, and a 6x16 tandem. I am kinda leaning to the 16' but my largest vehicle is a V6 4X4 4Runner, and I think the single axle one could also be used alot around the yard. (...also take up less space in shop.) Has any one else faced this?? If so, which route did you take?
Thanks

-Ben

/ Trailer for BX #2  
Go with the tandem. It's so much easier to load up with, not to mention safer on the highway...if you get a flat with a single you are in big trouble, but a tandem gives you a little forgiveness. I had a 6x16 built at a local trailer place for about $800. I painted it and put a deck on it myself to save the money. It's great...

/ Trailer for BX #3  
Boner:

I bought an 8 x 5 Sturdy Built single axle with a 3500 lb rating to trailer my BX and it works fine (the FEL hangs over the front, but that's okay). The only downside is that that trailer is not long enough to haul the tractor with any attachments on the rear.

I bought the smaller trailer thinking I would only need to haul the tractor occasionally (to the shop and to friend's places mostly) but would use the trailer a lot for other things, including hauling it behind my BX!

OregonTom

/ Trailer for BX #4  
Ben, the tandem axle will definitely be safer on the road, although you can make do with either if you're careful enough. Or of course, you can do as I did; I have a 5 x 10 single axle tilt bed and a 6 x 16 tandem axle trailer.

Bird

/ Trailer for BX #5  
Boner,
Woody here, hehehe
I bought my tandum axel trailer the day before the BX arrived.
It is 16 foot and allows the loader to rest in behing the front deck guard and still leaves plently of room behind for what ever is hanging on the 3-pt and then some.
I pull it with a 1993 Ranger 4.0 l with automatic O.D. I have had it loaded up with all attachments including the blower tied down behind the BX w/FEL & Tiller and was still able to do 100 K (65 MPH).
The one problem I have expeerienced is loading/unloading. Hind site being 20/20 get a trailer with a beavertail. This is where the back three feet of the deck is angled down. This will help prevent the Tiller or what ever from scraping on the ground when going up or down the ramps. Also with such a light truck the rear wheels almost come off the ground when the tractor is half on the trailer/ramps. To fix this I am going to add swing down stands at the rear of the trailer to stop it from the levering the feather weight ford off the ground.
You will also find that a tandum axel trailer is far easier to back up. I have a 200 foot windiing drive way and no bull I can back it up the full length in less than 3 minutes. I do it faster when the wife is watching just to make her mad.
Make sure you have multiple safety straps when hauling. I use 6 straps that are each rated for 1000 lbs. This way even with one or two failure points there is still plenty of safety.
Also lower all attachments and set the park brake and make sure to check the electric brakes, lights abd use the safeety chains.
In case you are wondering, I lost a trailer once and thats enough for this life time.

15-52855-thumbnail.jpg

/ Trailer for BX #6  
Yup, lost a trailer here, too. About 4 years ago, I was hauling an old Wheel Horse GT over to my grandpa's and a tire blew. It was a single axle and it took a hard dive to the left and ripped the hitch clean off the trailer. Let me tell you, it's one hell of a shock to look in your rear view mirror to see a tractor going end over-end in midair. Thank God that there was no oncoming traffic...it would have killed whomever it landed on.

Since then, tandem trailers ONLY. And multiple straps as well as chains.

/ Trailer for BX #7  
I had a flat tire on my tandem once while hauling a small sports car. The only way I knew was when another
driver pulled alongside and pointed back at the trailer. It tracked straight and true on 3 tires.
A few years ago here in So. Md. a landscape company had a trailer come loose. It hit a car head on and
killed the driver.
I'd go with a tandem, they are safer and tow smoother. I would also use heavy duty safety chains that fasten
so they can't come loose, not those cheap 'S' hooks.

Steve