Trailer Jack Stand Mounting Location

/ Trailer Jack Stand Mounting Location #1  

Beltzington

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3720
I have been looking for a smaller utility trailer and have noticed some manufacturers mount the jack stand away from the coupler even if there is a mounting hole. One manufacturer even offers this as an "option." What am I missing, I cannot think of a reason why?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 190
   / Trailer Jack Stand Mounting Location #2  
I prefer them that way because usually you can put the tailgate down.

/ Trailer Jack Stand Mounting Location #4  
Same for me, if the jack stand is at the tongue getting stuff from the back of the pickup is a pain.

/ Trailer Jack Stand Mounting Location #5  
I guess I've never had an issue lowering my tailgate, but I typically use an adjustable WD hitch (even when not using the WD bars), so it has a longer shaft on it, so it pushes the trailer back a few inches.

/ Trailer Jack Stand Mounting Location #6  
Mine is like that - would cause a nasty divot if i dropped the tailgate with trailer attached. Friend's equip trailer I borrowed last week had the jack farther back and immediately noticed I could drop the tailgate. Nice.

/ Trailer Jack Stand Mounting Location #7  
I believe it also allows for the tongue to be lifted higher to clear the hitch without as much jack leg travel.

/ Trailer Jack Stand Mounting Location #8  
Also gets it out the way while you're hooking up chains and coupler.

/ Trailer Jack Stand Mounting Location #9  
Well that's' one way to mount it but if it had a wheel on it it would probably not lift high enough and would soon be bent. I would not want a trailer unless it was a very small one with out a tongue jack with a wheel and these usually bolt to the 'drivers side' of the tongue and rotate 90 degrees up for travel. Much easier hook up and move trailer around , especially if loaded. I've seen quite a few jacks bolted to the 'passenger ' side of the tongue and this makes them very inconvenient to use. Of course, large trailers that are to heavy to move by hand don't need a wheel.
Al

/ Trailer Jack Stand Mounting Location #10  
I moved my jack into the rear mount for the tailgate lowering reason. Love it there.