Trailer Moving & Lifting Attachment - Ideas & Input Wanted

/ Trailer Moving & Lifting Attachment - Ideas & Input Wanted #1  

TWD

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M59
Up until now I've used the receiver on my fork attachment but it's got issues... like it's near impossible to remove so when I move pallets my receiver can cause damage to what's on the pallet or not allow me to load that extra 4" which does matter sometimes.

I have a spare blank\empty quick attachment plate that I'm thinking of turning into a dedicated trailer moving and lifting \ hanging attachment.

I know people have made these, can you share pictures?

My plans are:
I need something to move trailers, and also hang\carry things like full 50g drums, pull\lift an engine, hang & gut\skin animals, etc... while I do all this now with my pallet attachment and\or grapple it's not as useful (or safe) as it could be with a dedicated solution.
  • center receiver w\braces (so I can attach different size balls, pintle, shackles, etc...)
  • [maybe] recessed receiver 4" or more above centered one... to be used with a special extension of 2' that slides into this receiver AND the other front-facing, to give 2' of distance having this additional receiver would give me added strength. (I do plan to build a 3-6' telescoping boom so I don't need this too long, but I do like having the option of sliding in a 2' extender for some reach.)
  • trailer\tie down on each side of receiver
  • receiver going directly left (On bottom of quick attach plate) <-- so I can add out riggers for stability, hang my gambrel on when gutting and skinning, etc...
  • receiver going directly right (on bottom of quick attach plate) <-- so I can add out riggers for stability, hang my gambrel on when gutting and skinning, etc...
  • 2x 2 Ton hooks (the large style) on left\right of receiver
  • 2-4x 3\8\|5\16 Chain Hooks (2 vertical, 2 horizontal is my thought)'
  • [maybe] hand crank winch on top\back of the quick attach plate

Any suggestions? Or things you wish you had done to yours?

/ Trailer Moving & Lifting Attachment - Ideas & Input Wanted #2  
Drill a 3/4” hole in one of your forks, drop a ball in when you need it?

Added a receiver to mine only because I wanted to use it as a bale spear as well.

EBA964BD-2F1D-4211-BA54-4BC58AD75924.jpeg

/ Trailer Moving & Lifting Attachment - Ideas & Input Wanted #3  
Well, far be it from me to discourage a tractor attachment fab project as those tend to be my favorite threads to read. However..

Considering how often forks come in handy, I would actually consider just building this attachment.. for the forks!

IF your tractor can handle all the expected trailer tongue weights out at the end of the forks anyway, I would make a 'slip on' attachment for the forks with fork channels that would do all those things. Build it at the width you generally use the forks at anyway. As far as the 3 hitch receivers, I just cut up an unused trailer hitch that I dont even know what vehicle it was for, but it was a straight 2.5" square tube crossbar. Once you cut the end brackets off of it it kind of already has receivers facing out both sides, just add pin holes. Easy enough to make your own anyway, though. Add whatever other hooks/rings etc you want.

All you'd really need to do to secure it is drill 1 hole in each fork and weld a twist-lock plunger pin thing on top of the attachment to drop into that hole. Could even just be one of those T handle pins if you don't care about retention other than gravity (why would it come out?). Or, if you make this thing at least have one section long enough to reach to the base end of your forks, you could just throw a chain/strap around the fork frame, or even make it go into the existing receiver on the frame (but use 1.5" square tube so its an easy fit.. all it has to do is keep the thing from sliding off the forks, not support bending). Or.. put a loop around the back of the forks like fork extensions have on them.

This way you could drop it just as easily as an SSQA plate, but then NOT have to put your forks back on because they never came off. It would not let things slide up/down the forks like lifting directly from forks would (with strap/chain etc) and it would also not need as much length built into it because it already includes the length of the forks that are already there. The only part that needs to be 'long' is a skinny piece to go all the way back to your fork frame, and that's only if you'd rather tie to that than drill a couple holes in your forks (or maybe just one hole in one fork?!) and pin through the fork. You have to extend a trailer hitch off an SSQA plate a good ways anyway just to be able to see it past the plate.

If you look up 'forklift jib crane' or 'forklift trailer mover' you might gather up some design elements you'd like to end up using.

Just a thought!

Also.. I've long intended to add fork pockets to the bottom of my engine hoist crane... haven't done it yet..:ROFLMAO:

• Good Post
Reactions: TWD
   / Trailer Moving & Lifting Attachment - Ideas & Input Wanted #4  
I made a trailer mover to attach to my 3 pt quick hitch. Works very well. I don't have a gooseneck trailer so didn't make it with a ball on top.
For lifting things I usually use my forks or I can lift with the bucket by hanging a chain between two hooks welded to my bucket.

Attachments

• DSCN1399 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1399 (Medium).JPG
    598 KB · Views: 176
  • DSCN1083 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1083 (Medium).JPG
    578.4 KB · Views: 172
  • DSCN1628 (Large).JPG
    DSCN1628 (Large).JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 183
   / Trailer Moving & Lifting Attachment - Ideas & Input Wanted
Well, far be it from me to discourage a tractor attachment fab project as those tend to be my favorite threads to read. However..

Considering how often forks come in handy, I would actually consider just building this attachment.. for the forks!

IF your tractor can handle all the expected trailer tongue weights out at the end of the forks anyway, I would make a 'slip on' attachment for the forks with fork channels that would do all those things. Build it at the width you generally use the forks at anyway. As far as the 3 hitch receivers, I just cut up an unused trailer hitch that I dont even know what vehicle it was for, but it was a straight 2.5" square tube crossbar. Once you cut the end brackets off of it it kind of already has receivers facing out both sides, just add pin holes. Easy enough to make your own anyway, though. Add whatever other hooks/rings etc you want.

All you'd really need to do to secure it is drill 1 hole in each fork and weld a twist-lock plunger pin thing on top of the attachment to drop into that hole. Could even just be one of those T handle pins if you don't care about retention other than gravity (why would it come out?). Or, if you make this thing at least have one section long enough to reach to the base end of your forks, you could just throw a chain/strap around the fork frame, or even make it go into the existing receiver on the frame (but use 1.5" square tube so its an easy fit.. all it has to do is keep the thing from sliding off the forks, not support bending). Or.. put a loop around the back of the forks like fork extensions have on them.

This way you could drop it just as easily as an SSQA plate, but then NOT have to put your forks back on because they never came off. It would not let things slide up/down the forks like lifting directly from forks would (with strap/chain etc) and it would also not need as much length built into it because it already includes the length of the forks that are already there. The only part that needs to be 'long' is a skinny piece to go all the way back to your fork frame, and that's only if you'd rather tie to that than drill a couple holes in your forks (or maybe just one hole in one fork?!) and pin through the fork. You have to extend a trailer hitch off an SSQA plate a good ways anyway just to be able to see it past the plate.

If you look up 'forklift jib crane' or 'forklift trailer mover' you might gather up some design elements you'd like to end up using.

Just a thought!

Also.. I've long intended to add fork pockets to the bottom of my engine hoist crane... haven't done it yet..:ROFLMAO:

That was my initial thought and plan, but the fork attachment itself (not the forks) I have isn't exactly the strongest or thickest material and I do move trailers with enough weight that I'm not comfortable using a fork to do that kind of moving as my forks are over 48" too, and I also work in pretty tight places. My fork attachment has hooks\loops already so I've got that covered minimally too :D

Drill a 3/4” hole in one of your forks, drop a ball in when you need it?

Added a receiver to mine only because I wanted to use it as a bale spear as well.

Aside from the issue of my forks being too long, and trailers too heavy to make that a viable option I need to use it for lifting and moving more things than just a trailer.

I made a trailer mover to attach to my 3 pt quick hitch. Works very well. I don't have a gooseneck trailer so didn't make it with a ball on top.
For lifting things I usually use my forks or I can lift with the bucket by hanging a chain between two hooks welded to my bucket.
Thanks for the feedback! I too use my bucket and\or fork attachment currently but it's gotten to the point I've ran into situations repeatedly where I have issues and have to rig it up and make it work... which is fine, but at this point I'm thinking I need to save time and be a bit safer :D

Thank you for posting pictures!

/ Trailer Moving & Lifting Attachment - Ideas & Input Wanted #8  
I have a SSQA plate with a cat 2 quick hitch and a 2" receiver in it;
ssqa 1.jpg

ssqa 4.jpg

/ Trailer Moving & Lifting Attachment - Ideas & Input Wanted #9  
is your 3pt often covered by backhoe?
or is this case where you need more lift height than 3pt does?

• Good Post
   / Trailer Moving & Lifting Attachment - Ideas & Input Wanted #10  
I didn't make it, I bought it. It works great for moving trailers around. I have multiple ball mounts for it. I use a pintle hook mount with slings to move some stuff around.

1644013165880.jpeg

• Good Post