Trailer question - skid steer

/ Trailer question - skid steer #1  

patrailer

Tractor
Kubota
I am thinking of purchasing a skid steer and trailer. The skid steer will be in the 6000-9000 lb range, not sure exactly what I am getting for that. I'd like to use the trailer for other stuff. Hauling building materials, maybe a car or two. I have a 3500HD and tow a 13000 fifth wheel. I have a gooseneck hitch but I think a gooseneck trailer would be overkill for me.

I cant figure out if I want equipment trailer vs car trailer vs flatbed trailer. I've read a few threads here with some people who had the same dilemma. I am assuming buiilding materials and odds and ends will be fine with both of them. However, if I want to do an occasional car, can I put that on an equipment trailer? And vice-versa? For loading the skid steer, I think a dovetail trailer would be best (right?) I'd like to do slide out ramps as well, wood floor.

With the weight of the skid steer, should I be looking more at equipment trailers? Thanks for any tips!

/ Trailer question - skid steer #2  
Most car trailer aren’t rated for the weight of a skid steer. A flat deck trailer is nice for side loading with a forklift but it’s also pretty tall for loading vehicles or a skid steer on the ramps. A equipment trailer with fenders and a dovetail gets my vote.

/ Trailer question - skid steer #3  
I believe if I was going to buy a new trailer to haul a skidsteer I would want me one of those 20' tilt deck equipment trailers and I would upgrade it with 8k axles and 17.5 tires, you would be covered to haul about anything you wanted , they are low profile and would work perfect for loading and un-loading a skid steer.

/ Trailer question - skid steer #4  
Used a 5 ton dual axle equipment trailer with a 16' wood deck and flip down ramps to haul my tracked skidsteer. Trailer capacity was 4 tons, which was just about what the skidsteer weighed with the bucket on it. Handled it fine (towed with a 2011 F350 6.2l)

/ Trailer question - skid steer #5  
Is this for personal or commercial use? What will be your primary skid steer use? You might consider a dump trailer. A skid steer and dump trailer are like bread and butter.

I recommend a 14k minimum, no matter what style you get. A bumper pull is convenient to hook up and gets around better than a gooseneck. They do require more thought when placing your load, gooseneck is more forgiving here.

Dump trailer should be in the 14'-16' range and equipment hauler 20'-24'. If you need/want more than 14k gvw, I recommend gooseneck. I also prefer torsion axles. Again, I can't stress how handy a dump trailer is, especially if you only have one trailer.

Equipment hauler is 83"x24', 14k, Dump is 7'x16'x3', 22k.
0915210934.jpg
0923211019.jpg
0929211642a.jpg

/ Trailer question - skid steer #6  
My vote is for a 14K equipment tilt trailer. The benefit of a tilt is A) only one angle needs to be traversed over instead of two making it much better for loading cars or equipment with low clearance, B) tilt trailers are less apt to drag their behinds on uneven ground because they don’t have the dovetail hanging down. Better if they need to be hauled through fields etc.

Recommend you get one with a winch plate or pop-up winch mount like on the new Diamond C’s for moving equipment that can’t move under its own power.

/ Trailer question - skid steer #7  
Is this for personal or commercial use? What will be your primary skid steer use? You might consider a dump trailer. A skid steer and dump trailer are like bread and butter.

I recommend a 14k minimum, no matter what style you get. A bumper pull is convenient to hook up and gets around better than a gooseneck. They do require more thought when placing your load, gooseneck is more forgiving here.

Dump trailer should be in the 14'-16' range and equipment hauler 20'-24'. If you need/want more than 14k gvw, I recommend gooseneck. I also prefer torsion axles. Again, I can't stress how handy a dump trailer is, especially if you only have one trailer.

Equipment hauler is 83"x24', 14k, Dump is 7'x16'x3', 22k.View attachment 745161View attachment 745162View attachment 745165

I have a dump trailer and a tilt trailer. The tilt trailer is way easier to load vs dealing with the heavy ramps, it’s a better angle to load, it’s easier to get into the skid steer cab once it’s loaded, it’s easier to chain than the dump trailer and there’s more room on the deck for other stuff. But the dump trailer does move the skid steer if that was the only goal. The other downside to the dump trailer is it’s like a $12,000 trailer which the tilt trailer isn’t a cheap trailer either. You could probably buy a 14k ramp trailer for half that much.
IMG_1960.JPG
IMG_0826.JPG

/ Trailer question - skid steer #8  
For all around use I prefer a deck over with a dovetail. For my (all around) use I don't want fenders. Now if my business was strictly a SS service and moved the machine 3-4 times a week I'd have a deck in between the wheels. Nice and low but limited width. My machines have "grown" to where they no longer fit between the fenders.

/ Trailer question - skid steer #9  
For all around use I prefer a deck over with a dovetail. For my (all around) use I don't want fenders. Now if my business was strictly a SS service and moved the machine 3-4 times a week I'd have a deck in between the wheels. Nice and low but limited width. My machines have "grown" to where they no longer fit between the fenders.

I agree a deckover has less limitations but the ramps are a lot steeper.
IMG_0295.JPG

/ Trailer question - skid steer #10  
Looks like you might start with 14K - 9K + 3.5K (trailer) = 12.5K - wouldn't go any lighter. I have and like a good tilt bed with bed pivot between the tandem axles. Also, consider other options that make it easier and more useful. There are a lot of features to consider - Rub rails, stake pockets, 12K SET BACK JACK, location of spare mount, if tilt bed, split 16' tilt and 4 fixed (20') or 16' split and 6' fixed (22') More room for toolbox for chain and binder storage, slipper springs, EZ lube axles, removable or drive over fenders, type of coupler if bumper hitch and adjustable level hitch. And LED lighting is a must. Might want to purchase from a manufacturer who only uses certified welders. Anyway, a lot to think about and consider. Make sure the tries are size and rated for correct trailer rating. Another note about tilt bed. My tilt bed has a hydraulic cylinder to lock the bed in the down position. This has permitted me to use the trailer to hall different materials and use the bucket to forct the back of the bed down - then lock the cylinder. Then I can easily unload the trailer using tractor.
The good news is that with a 2500 and bumper hitch (if you choose) probably won't need a Weight Distribution hitch.

Finally, get a WELL designed and built trailer. It will cost more, but will always be worth more. If it does no trail well, you will never be happy with it when loaded. Best wishes.