Trailer Side Boards

/ Trailer Side Boards #1  

deere5105

Veteran Member
Tractor
2008 John Deere 5303 MFWD
I have a 22' 12k flat bed equipment trailer with stand up ramps. Ramps will be temporarily removed. I need to put sides on it so I can use it for a function at church. Will be using for hay ride and need something to slide bales against and/or lean back against.

Curious what methods/dimensions have been tried with good results. Was considering 2"x4" stakes for the pockets and running plywood down the side and across the front leaving the back open.

A few questions are:
1) How tall do the sides need to be? My initial thoughts were 24".
2) What size plywood? 1/2", 5/8" or 3/4"
3) Plywood or OSB?
4) Any reason to go with treated material? Sides will not stay on all the time. Will be put on when needed and removed when finished. Usually do one or two of these each year.
5) Fasten plywood to stakes on side facing into trailer or side facing outside? Inside seems most logical?

Not looking to reinvent the wheel or take path to frustrations someone else has already traveled. Suggestions, recommendations and ideas welcome and appreciated.

/ Trailer Side Boards #2  
[I]Good for you, the kids will love it. I have open "pickets" with 6" boards on my ARMY trailer. I think your own suggestions are right on. I would build it about one foot HIGHER than a hay bale.....or two bales if you're going to stack them. That way a rambunctious kid can't roll off onto the road. 2X4's should be fine. I would use PLYWOOD NOT OSB.....Ply can take moisture better and will not produce sharp splinters or delaminating strips to hang up on skin or hay. Some rainy, tired day you might leave the hay on board and it gets rained on.....be nice if it didn't ruin your panels. Have fun, you're a good man :thumbsup:[/I]

Attachments

• Tilting trailer.jpg
    Tilting trailer.jpg
    764.3 KB · Views: 756
   / Trailer Side Boards #3  
I think I'd go with stacked dimensional lumber instead of plywood. Since its for bales and not dirt you could leave space between them to get the height you're looking for. I have 2x8's attached to 2x4 pocket stakes for temporary sideboards for my trailer. Use carriage bolts from the outside in and countersink the nut side large enough to get a socket on the nut. For the carriage bolts just drill the hole for the bolt and drive them in so the square edges set. For the front and back boards I fashioned vertical slots out of 2x on the side boards that the ends just slide in to.

/ Trailer Side Boards
Good for you, the kids will love it. I have open "pickets" with 6" boards on my ARMY trailer. I think your own suggestions are right on. I would build it about one foot HIGHER than a hay bale.....or two bales if you're going to stack them. That way a rambunctious kid can't roll off onto the road. 2X4's should be fine. I would use PLYWOOD NOT OSB.....Ply can take moisture better and will not produce sharp splinters or delaminating strips to hang up on skin or hay. Some rainy, tired day you might leave the hay on board and it gets rained on.....be nice if it didn't ruin your panels. Have fun, you're a good man :thumbsup:

Neat idea on the dump conversion.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I enjoy spending time building memories with the kids.

/ Trailer Side Boards
I think I'd go with stacked dimensional lumber instead of plywood. Since its for bales and not dirt you could leave space between them to get the height you're looking for. I have 2x8's attached to 2x4 pocket stakes for temporary sideboards for my trailer. Use carriage bolts from the outside in and countersink the nut side large enough to get a socket on the nut. For the carriage bolts just drill the hole for the bolt and drive them in so the square edges set. For the front and back boards I fashioned vertical slots out of 2x on the side boards that the ends just slide in to.

Had not considered that. Do not plan to haul any dirt on this trailer. Like the idea of the carriage bolts creating a clean attachment. The 2x material would probably hold up better long term. After having lived with this set up a while are you still content with it the way it is?

/ Trailer Side Boards #6  
2x would be better over ply. But you might be able to pick up a 4/4" board that wouldn't be as heavy. You can carriage bolt or just use a good quality stainless or epoxy coated screw. I wouldn't bother with pt.

/ Trailer Side Boards #7  
Had not considered that. Do not plan to haul any dirt on this trailer. Like the idea of the carriage bolts creating a clean attachment. The 2x material would probably hold up better long term. After having lived with this set up a while are you still content with it the way it is?

My setup sits in the shed most of the time although I have used it once or twice a year for the past six years. I needed a quick setup one day, so I used concrete form lumber that I had on hand. If I were to redo it I wouldn't bother with treated lumber. Most of the treated stuff around here is typically pretty wet and just ripe for twisting. I'd pick out boards just like I do for concrete forms...Shuffle through the stack and pick out the driest, straightest boards I can find, with an emphasis on "dry." I have long 2x4's and 6's stacked in the shed that I've had for quite a few years with no twist in them whatsoever.

I consider myself "job security" for the workers at the big box stores. You should see the mess I make looking for the right lumber! :D

/ Trailer Side Boards
Have measured and if I use 24" stakes and let them set 3" in the pockets (flush with bottom of pocket) I will have 21"above the floor. With a 2"x6" runner at bottom and one at top, it will leave a 10" space between the boards. If I ever needed to seal it up, a 2"x10" would fit. Thinking I could rip some 2"x4" boards in half and use them for guides attached to the 2"x6" boards for the front and rear.

Sound like a workable plan?

/ Trailer Side Boards #9  
Yep, that'll work. Check the stake pockets for 2x4 fit as they can vary a little. This may make for fractional adjustments in length. I built mine right on the trailer...makes a great workbench.

/ Trailer Side Boards
Planning to skip the carriage bolts and use wood screws. Any unseen risks using the screws?