Trailer Size

/ Trailer Size #1  

sailorman3

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK3510
I have a Kioti CK 2610 on order with a loader bucket and backhoe attachment. I also need a trailer to carry it but the dealer I think maybe over selling me on the one he wants me to buy. The tractor is less that 5000 pound. I think a trailer 16 feet with a 6000 pound capacity is big enough, he wants to go to a 18 foot with a 8333 pound capacity. What do you guys think. Go for the bigger or smaller trailer. To me it’s a big investment and I don’t want to screw anything up. Thanks.

/ Trailer Size #2  
Never heard of a trailer with 8333 pound capacity but I would go for the larger trailer. Who knows, you may want to haul the tractor at sometime with several attachments. Plus a larger trlr will make it easier to balance your load. A 16' trlr may be marginal for your tractor length including the loader and backhoe.

/ Trailer Size #3  
What's your towing vehicle and parking situation?

My small tractor (B7610) is slightly smaller and fit's nicely on the trailer it came with, an 18' Hudson.
But it's a pain to maneuver in my cul-de-sac.
If your vehicle and parking can handle it I'd strongly suggest at least an 18' w 7.5K capacity.

/ Trailer Size #4  
Never heard of a trailer with 8333 pound capacity but I would go for the larger trailer. Who knows, you may want to haul the tractor at sometime with several attachments. Plus a larger trlr will make it easier to balance your load. A 16' trlr may be marginal for your tractor length including the loader and backhoe.
Probably 10k axles minus the trailer weight.

OP if your 16' trailer is dual axle it should be fine assuming you properly load it but I would be hesitant to put anything else on it, that tractor concentrates a lot of weight on a very small space so it's tempting to fill up the empty space. By the time you get the tractor dirty and full of fuel with chains to tie it down you're gonna be up against the higher limits on when you have the FEL and BH.

/ Trailer Size #5  
I’ve been using a tandem 16’ trailer for mine for the past few years. It hauls fine. But as mentioned, you can never have enough trailer!

/ Trailer Size #6  
I have a Kioti CK 2610 on order with a loader bucket and backhoe attachment. I also need a trailer to carry it but the dealer I think maybe over selling me on the one he wants me to buy. The tractor is less that 5000 pound. I think a trailer 16 feet with a 6000 pound capacity is big enough, he wants to go to a 18 foot with a 8333 pound capacity. What do you guys think. Go for the bigger or smaller trailer. To me it’s a big investment and I don’t want to screw anything up. Thanks.
Absolutely, buy the bigger trailer!

/ Trailer Size #7  
Yes get the bigger trailer, your second tractor might be bigger.....

/ Trailer Size #8  
Your dealer's thinking ahead for you and knows you're going to want to put something else on the trailer along with the tractor.

Make sure that your trailer's rating, minus the weight of the trailer itself (ie, the useful load), will allow your tractor to be moved.

While TBN is famous for spending others' money, let me counter that for a sec: Consider also, though, that you may not need a trailer just because you have a tractor. What are your plans for the trailer? Is it so you can take your tractor to the dealer? Where are you going to keep the trailer? Does it have a wood or metal deck?

The reason I ask is - if you need to trailer your tractor once a year, renting a trailer from a local equipment rental is probably far cheaper than buying one. I thought I'd be buying one to go with my tractor, especially as my dealer is over 100 miles away... but in almost 4 years it hasn't remotely needed moving off of my land.

/ Trailer Size #9  
Your tractor weighs ~2700#
loader ~928#
backhoe ~880#

but can't tell what the overall length with loader (&bucket) and BH is.

So, you're about 4500# for tractor and equipment and the trailer itself is probably about 2,000#. So you need a minimum of 6500# trailer. The comment about positioning the tractor forward or backward for proper balance is very important. - - - Get the bigger trailer.

/ Trailer Size #10  
I’m assuming you’re referring to a 7k and a 10k trailer with the trailer weight subtracted. 7k trailers are junk. Buy the 10k.